Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LaurenJadeTaylor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2010, 9:44 am

Health s the general condition of a person in all aspects. It is also a level of functional and/or metabolic efficiency of an organism, often implicitly human.

At the time of the creation of the World Health Organization (WHO), in 1948, health was defined as being "a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely

Fitness comprises two related concepts: general fitness (a state of health and well-being) and specific fitness (a task-oriented definition based on the ability to perform specific aspects of sports or occupations). Physical fitness is generally achieved through exercise.

Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In a sport the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports, require only mental skills. Non-competitive activities such as jogging and rock-climbing, are usually classified as recreations.

Daemonic-Jackal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 6:29 am

strapshoechris wrote:
Favourites as a participant: football (U.S. style) as a kicker.

Ah you mean Handegg.

http://www.facebook.com/YentonianCarlos

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2010, 7:46 am

Daemonic-Jackal wrote:
strapshoechris wrote:
Favourites as a participant: football (U.S. style) as a kicker.

Ah you mean Handegg.

If that big brown "egg" ends up in MY hands, then the sport is called "Fumbling"... :lol:
(That's why I only play kicker.)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2010, 8:18 am

i always wonder why people that play football are so eager to get the ball.
they must be very poor.
all they have to do is go into a sports store and they can buy a new football for about $15, yet they spend so much effort chasing a used football that has been kicked so many times.
oh well. people are misers in many ways.

when i was required to play football, i used to take my own football out of my bag and kick it around privately where no other desperate people were trying to get it for themselves.

everyone should be provided a football by the government if they are poor. that would stop the mad scramble for footballs on sports fields and everyone could go home with one and relax.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 2:13 am

b9 wrote:
everyone should be provided a football by the government if they are poor. that would stop the mad scramble for footballs on sports fields and everyone could go home with one and relax.

very sporting of you.
if it would make for less crowded parks and recreation, then i'm all for it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 5:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
b9 wrote:

very sporting of you.
if it would make for less crowded parks and recreation, then i'm all for it.

you raise an interesting point.
i remember now that i feel quite relieved when a "grand final" is on, because there are less people on the streets and in my way because they are all at home watching it, or they are at the sports field where it is being played.

that is the only aspect about it i like, and i would not like it to change.

so, to get around that, maybe they should hand out the free footballs at the stadium, and televise it as well. then the people would still all stay at home to watch it or go to the stadium to watch it, and provide me with a clear path for that day.

good thinking.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2010, 2:27 pm

strapshoechris wrote:
Favourites as a participant: Wrestling, football (U.S. style) as a kicker.
Favourites as a spectator: Boxing, basketball, roller derby (especially womens'), and powerlifting.

Sport I've always wanted to try, but so far haven't had the chance: Soap box derby.

BTW Pat, I think "Buzz" is the coolest mascot in college athletics. (something else I've always wanted to do as part of some team's cheer squad.)

What weight class do you wrestle? Also, I agree with you about Buzz (of course :P).

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2010, 7:12 am

Pat, I have two medals in amateur freestyle. The first one I got in 1985 in the 136 class (BAWA rules). It took me four years to finally win a second medal. By the time I got that in 1989 I was up to 167 class. Health problems from surgery complications forced me out of competition over a decade ago, but I still help sponsor a local freestyle wrestler in the 119 class and have stayed semi-active in the sport as an athletic trainer for his wrestling team as well as equipment manager for their shoes and headgear. If I were well enough to actually participate nowdays I think I'd be a super-heavyweight.
Anyway, here I am pulling off an arm-drag back in the "good old days"...

scaly_piscine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2010, 8:14 am

Cricket, although I don't get to watch or play much of it unfortunately.

lms651
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2010, 7:23 pm

tennis, fencing, table tennis!

Kurisutiin_Suwein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2010, 12:59 am

Favourite sports to play: swimming and karting. I have won gold medals representing my country in the past. Suffice to say this is extremely unlikely ever to happen in karting ;)

Favourite sports to watch: Motor sports (especially F1, but also Moto GP and Le Mans Series), Olympic/Paralympic sports.

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

17 Apr 2010, 10:35 am

My favourite sport that I love watching is football (as in 'soccer') and I support both Sydney FC and Celtic.

Other sports I love watching are rugby union (NSW Waratahs and the Wallabies), cycling and winter Olympics.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2010, 5:06 am

Baseball, football (American), and basketball are the primary ones that I watch. I'd say football/baseball are my favourite out of the three I listed.

TheLastVictorian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2010, 9:24 pm

Baseball is my favourite specator sport. Go Tigers! Go Twins! Go....well, Blue Jays! :oops:

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 11:31 am

My favourite sport is surfing the net. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Cumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2010, 2:07 pm

My favorite sports are those that I play/do myself. So first of all gliding, and then soccer. Maybe someone will say gliding is not a sport because you just sit in that plane and fly around, but that's not true. I agree flying airplanes that have a motor is only a hobby and not a sport (unless you do aerobatics), but gliding is different. You really need to know where the thermals are, otherwise you'll have to land very soon. It needs a lot of skill to always find the best thermals. And if anyone still thinks it's not a sport than he/she should just fly a glider for 8 hours or so and then I'm sure everyone believes it's a sport.