Why do women wear workout clothes to go for a walk?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:03 pm

So I guess I'm just mad, then, I'll go to the gym wearing Dockers and a collared shirt after church and go do some clean and jerks. So I guess I'm the opposite end of the clothing extreme.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

Considering I did 30 minutes of HIIT yesterday wearing jeans, I shouldn't say much.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

1000Knives wrote:
As the title says, I've noticed this around my neighborhood. Women will go for walks wearing full workout gear, like today I saw a woman wearing full black compression clothes and just walking on the sidewalk. I'd understand it if they're running, but they're not, they're simply taking a walk, like everyone used to do since the beginning of time until we got personal chariots in the 20th century. I mean, I admit, I'm a bit on the lazy side with workout clothes, and will do a whole workout in the gym in jeans and a collared shirt if I just don't feel like changing, so maybe I'm not one to judge, but it seems these women are really overdressed for taking a walk.

Why is this so, can anyone give me any input?

Maybe what they are wearing is cooler and supports their muscles while walking more than conventional clothing. Plus, it could be more comfortable. Some people have bad knees and have to wear the support thingy when walking any distance. Walking doesn't seem like it takes much effort, but it actually does if the walking is brisk and over a long distance, let's say, three or four miles coming and going.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:32 am

It is more logical to wear workout clothes and shower immediately after the workout instead of making your best clothes sweat. It depends on the type of workout you are doing, doing a few clean and jerks is going to be different from doing 60 minutes of high intensity drills or intervals of sprinting.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

I walk my dog in regular clothes, but as a consequence I sometimes have to change when I get home b/c it's so humid where I live that, even in relatively cool weather, I come back all sweaty.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:31 am

Walking can cause you to sweat if you take a physically demanding route.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

One word: bewbs.

If I'm going to sweat, it ain't gonna be in my pretty (and expensive) underwire bras. Likewise, if there's any bounce at all (a brisk walk or a jog), my regular bras won't support me. I can't get full range of motion in most of my clothing, either, as women's clothes are more fitted than men's, generally. And of course you can't walk for a long time comfortably in most women's shoes (that aren't made for it).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:22 pm

Not me! If and when I actually do go for a walk (which used to be a lot but hardly ever now) I just need a good pair of sneakers, whatever clothing is appropriate for the weather or season, and some music to listen to. In fact, in the minor city I live in if you were all decked out in workout clothes you'd get some pretty weird looks from other people. :)

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 8:46 am

Maybe they are powerwalking around your area? Seems like normal walking, but for normal walking you simply want to reach a certain spot, and normally you go there in a speed,s o that your normal everyday stuff is not full of sweat.

Then they also may like to wear cozy cloth. As a woman if you were normal everday cozy, non crazy, cloth you are often told to look sloppy. So if you want to wear cozy cloth, but dont want to get told to look sloppy, you simply wear sports stuff, because for sports cozy cloth are allowed.

Personally for me, I like them because they are normally easy to wash, elastic = cozy, and you dont have to care much for "What cloth do I wear today?" without looking sloppy. And you dont need to change cloths, when doing sports. ^^Perfect for weekend. :) Waking up, showering, sports cloth, shopping food, doing housework, cycling for 2 hours, doing garden work, chill out with computer games and all with the same stuff and I dont need to change cloths if my partners friends visit us. :)

glow
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 1:13 pm

and to hide the speed bumps in their cellulite , or is that another trademark of holy despair and critical enough to formulate leftover baggage found stranded in the dairy isle...

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:59 pm

Also, they may not want to sweat up their nicer clothes, and some women feel judged about going for walks in dumpier clothes. I myself wear nicer clothes for walking because I have a public job and live in a smaller city. Lots of people would know me!

DigitalFist
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2013, 1:40 pm

This thread made me chuckle. I actually have wondered this myself. If I ever go for a walk, I dress casual. Walking isn't much to me lol. I only dress up for a workout if I'm going to sweat. HIIT = puddle making time.

knifegill
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2013, 3:00 am

It's mostly how neurotypicals let other neurotypicals know they belong to the fitness subgroup. Fitness people are proud to know what they know and want to be seen as active, strong and informed people. If an NT sees another NT dressed like a diver riding a bicycle, the implication is that the person dressed like a diver knows a LOT about bicycling, and can be relied on a source of information and inspiration. It has very little to do with functionality, that's just a convenient excuse.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 5:51 am

knifegill wrote:
It has very little to do with functionality, that's just a convenient excuse.

Ok, then tell me of a trouser, that is more comfortable then a cotton-leggin. ^^

Since decades it is completly common for lazy men to wear jogging trousers, because of them being comfotable. But when woman do so...ohn no, it cant be out of the same cause...because women are no humans like men...there have to be a mysterium behind it, linked with an conspiracy, that is done by united force of illuminati, free-masons, and feministic alien lunatics...

It cant be, because of them being simply comfortable. Who would wear comfortable trousers in their freetime, beside 40% of the male population. ^^

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 1:13 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Women can't just throw anything on and go out, they have to think about it.

why not?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2013, 1:24 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Also women tend to dress real specifically for the occasion, which is why they have so many different articles of clothing. I can just throw on a hoody, T-shirt, and jeans on any day that isn't too hot or cold. Women can't just throw anything on and go out, they have to think about it.