Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

83CJ7
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2009, 3:40 pm

If you think about it, it's really not limited to PE class. For the boy or girl who is sitting in a Math class, and is not good at Math, I'm sure they would have some of the same feelings as a non-athletic person in PE class. If you're not good at something you're just not going to be comfortable in that setting. Life IS hard.

anotherearl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

Hi, 83CJ7. We have different points of view; but we also agree that there should be two different kinds of P.E. classes, one kind for athletic students and another kind for nonathletic students. Not only is this approach humane, but also it just makes sense. One of the problems with the traditional sports-centered approach is that it ignores the fact that different students have different physical fitness needs and that some students, through no fault of their own, just are not athletically inclined. To use the math class analogy, it would be like transferring Basic Math students to a calculus class and expecting them to be able to learn calculus just as readily as students who have already taken algebra I, geometry, algebra II, trigonometry, and pre-cal.

What I object to is the practice of claiming one thing while doing another, which is exactly what the P.E. establishment has done for generations. The claim was always made that they were concerned about school children being physically unfit, yet the practice was simply to promote sports. The most effective way for a nonathletic student to get into shape is to be on an exercise program, as you mentioned. But as I pointed out, when I was a boy, no mention was ever made about specific exercise programs for nonathletic students. All P.E. students were forced to play sports, nonathletes as well as athletes. So, the claim that the purpose of P.E. being mandatory was to promote physical fitness was essentially a lie. To continue the math analogy, Remedial Math classes were provided. Were there ever any Remedial P.E. classes? Of course not.

A student who has trouble in math can receive tutoring, which most math teachers will be glad to provide. But a junior-high or high-school football coach, for example, has an agenda that is concerned only with having a winning football team. Why would he care about the physical fitness needs of an uncoordinated nonathletic boy? And while I'm on the subject, the goal of having a winning high-school football team can be achieved without forcing nonathletic boys to take P.E. because those boys who want to play on the football team obviously don't need to be forced to take P.E. Again, the real purpose of traditional P.E. has always been to promote sports for the athletic students, not physical fitness programs for the nonathletes.

Continuing the math class analogy, there is also another difference, which is cultural. Most math teachers do not look down on those students in their classes who are having trouble with math. I ought to know. My wife taught high-school math classes ranging from Basic Math to calculus for eleven years before she retired from teaching the year she gave birth to our first child. She never looked down on any student who at least tried to learn. I'm afraid that many boys' P.E. coaches DO look down on nonathletic boys as sissies and wimps, which is demonstrably false and ridiculous. (Remember RealTalk's comment that sports define manhood? That's what I'm talking about.) You cannot deny how prevalent this mindset is. A high-school football player who posts regularly at another website where I serve as a moderator says that many of his teammates refer to nonathletic boys as fags (never mind that homosexual men have always been involved in sports, just as they have in every other human endeavor). Any teachers who look down on their students (unless they're troublemakers, of course) shouldn't be teaching. So, a teenage boy who is having trouble with math is not going to have his masculinity questioned; but the nonathletic boy who is forced to take traditional sports-centered P.E. WILL have HIS masculinity questioned. And for what purpose?

Finally, I'm absolutely convinced that for generations there has been more bullying in traditional sports-centered P.E. classes than all of the academic classes combined. If you don't believe me, just check anti-bullying websites and read posts from former junior-high and high-school students who were bullied by "jocks" when they were in school and posts from current students who experience bullying today. Nonathletic students who are bullied by "jocks" in their P.E. classes are actually discouraged from becoming physically active because of the association that is made in their minds of physical activity with bullying.

I may seem like an angry person; but I'm actually conciliatory, not confrontational. I have no major disagreement with you. You should do a Google search on "PE4Life" and read some webpage articles about this program. I think you'd be just as impressed with it as I am. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your P.E. classes. My workout sessions with personal trainers have actually been therapeutic. They certainly have been as different from sports-centered P.E. as day is from night. I have no problem with people who find pleasure in sports. :) What I have a problem with is misusing sports to denigrate or unjustly mistreat others.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2009, 4:38 am

I LOVE them 8)

anotherearl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2009, 8:15 pm

I have no problem with that. There is a difference between watching or participating in ball games, on the one hand, and certain cultural aspects and practices associated with certain sports.

firebird93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2009, 6:31 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I have no love of team sports, I hate football. I would rather spend 90 minutes watching paint dry than watching a football match.
So would I.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 9:21 am

i dislike most team sports. i like baseball, but only because hitting the ball is fun, soccer is good, but i stick to playing defense. i like sports where i can have a more individual role, the team thing does not work well with me, i cant multitask. XD

i love doing individual sports with groups sometimes, though. like, hiking with 5 other peeps is very fun.

Ralic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Oct 2009, 11:19 pm

RealTalk wrote:
Guess that's the big difference between you and me. Males are born to be competitive and aggressive, it's what brings you forward in life and what defines a man. Sometimes that competitiveness can escalate to outright hostility and shitflinging, but generally, you should have a healthy notion of "I gotta win, therefor that other guy has to go down!". The same thing can be said for career and love life really. Getting all cuddly and touchy feely with the whole "No one ever loses - everyone's a winner!" is what neuters and kills good sports.
Old post but... touched a nerve.
Males are not born to be anything except what they want to be. The true man or woman know what they want and they are not going to succumb to something someone posted on a forum, or wrote in a book, or said on a TV screen.

Not every male is competitive or likes sports, my dad certainly isn't one of them, and he was in the army. There isn't anything wrong with him neither psychologically nor physical. He just_doesn't_like_competition. In fact, the more intellect you have, generally, the less you like competition because you understand how stupid and pointless it is.

Winning does nothing. Competition does nothing. These concepts are detrimental to the improvement of society, because society needs to foster the development of all kinds of people, and winners contribute generally nothing, and never enough. You will never have enough winners, and if you mistreat the "non-winners", you are losing on productivity and efficiency in whatever it is you're doing, not to mention that most winning is not personally acquired. When there's a winner there's a loser, and what happens to the loser? Nothing good, that's for sure. That has to go.

Sport is there to make people healthy. The moment it crosses that line it becomes garbage.

It's hard to express fully how much I loathe that mentality. It kills good men.

/end rant.

I have 0 interest in watching sports because I just find it boring. I do like playing sports, though, including team. My favorite sports is lacrosse. Even if you are alone, you got the stick. Fortunately, being in a technical school, nobody takes it too seriously, so we practice, play, have fun. And I guess it's better with it when you are a team of girls rather than a team of "I MUST WIN" guys.

Shiznown
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2010, 6:39 pm

I like MMA I want to learn more about martial arts. I also love bodybuilding, biking, swimming and walk or light jogging. I prefer bodybuilding above all else, then swimming, then biking, then walking, then jogging. Do I liek sports though? Not really.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2010, 7:06 pm

I hate PLAYING sport. I've enver been in decent shape to participate heavily in PE class. There were some I enjoyed (hockey in summer, trampolining, rounders) but the rest were toooooo boooooooring to hold my interest.

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 3:20 pm

I love individual sport. I don't have any motor problems. :)

@Ralic, I agree with your sentiments. Power to ya!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 5:36 am

As long as we enjoy it and we play something, any sport will do.

PhallicBaldwin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2010, 7:26 pm

I hate sports too but am hoping to join a gym in the new year

any advice?

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm

PhallicBaldwin wrote:
I hate sports too but am hoping to join a gym in the new year

any advice?

Just do not give up on sports.

Let us think of gym as... fun! Sweat smells good too.

black220
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2010, 2:34 am

I hate team sports with a passion. I don't mind individual sports so much, but I just can't be bothered with those either. When I see a game like football, soccer or hockey, I'm reminded of a bunch of dumb animals chasing after their prey. From what I understand, most team sports basically simulate war (especially American football). Isn't the whole purpose of promoting sports in school to prepare the young for the battlefield? You win wars by having superiour technology (care to guess where that comes from?), not from playing by a set of rules. Business hates competition too. Isn't the ultimate goal to create a monopoly, so you can sit back on your ass and collect the green? For startups, if you want to make real money, you get your product out ahead of the competition and let the profits roll in. I've found I have never gotten anywhere in life by directly competing with anyone. I often manage to come up with an unconventional method for circumventing the competition, and it pisses them off to no end.

I have other reasons for disliking sports as well. My motor control is absolutely terrible. Aside from having very bad aim, I also have a hard time concentrating on the ball and other players. I am clumsy and end up injuring people. Sometimes they don't understand it isn't intentional and want to kick my ass. I also hate losing, and figure "why get myself all worked up over nothing?" To top it all off I have bad eczema. Sweating and overheating make me incredibly itchy, and it's recommended that I avoid physical activity. I've tried to explain this to jocks before, but I just can't get it through their thick skulls. They always claim sweating will actually improve my skin condition, as it will flush all the bad things from the pores. Sorry, it's genetic and it doesn't go away. Physical activity is not the cure all for life's ailments. Honestly though, even without a skin condition I still wouldn't play their silly games.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 4:22 am

I like watching basketball (NBL).
I watch soccer occasionally and AFL sometimes.

A quote from Homer Simpson on sports.

"Its better to watch stuff then to do stuff"

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 4:37 am

I watch NBL too when the Singapore Slingers played there, but now I switched to ASEAN Basketball League as the Slingers switched leagues.

And in addition, I watch the Football Championship (as my favorite team, Newcastle United, is there) and my favorite AFL team is Carlton. :)

For American teams, I like teams wearing black and white (White Sox - though just a casual fan, Raiders, and Spurs), as well as all professional teams based in Michigan (Tigers, Lions, Pistons and Red Wings).

I am a just a sports fan though, I do not play them too. :x

Anyway I like the Simpson quote, it's really better to watch than to do. :)