Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 1:40 pm

When I get a coffee I swallow it in less than 5 minutes 8O

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm

Don't shoot the messenger. It was not intended to have a go at at coffee drinkers. Simply to state that the claim that coffee makes people more productive is dubious at best. As i pointed out there are benefits to coffee.

This was a well set up experiment by Bristol University and there weren't just testing coffee, they tested chewing gum, fudge (sugar), sage pill or placebo, and the groups were comprised of coffee drinker an non-drinkers.

In the experiment people who chewed gum perceived themselves to be more productive and attentive even though the weren't. Those on sage didn't notice a difference even thought hey were.

Perception tends to drive most things.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2015, 1:42 pm

Quote:
I would like to see a source for this, as I am pretty sure coffee has an effect...It is a stimulant which means it causes stimulation...the effect of coffee is not a simple case of recovering from withdrawn. For one I can feel the stimulating effects and for two well based on any reasearch I have done it is a stimulant which means it has some effect.

I have a hard time buying that if I have a cup of coffee, it makes me go into withdrawl and then the feeling of being a bit more energized and focused is merely the recovery from that withdraws. I thought caffine withdrawl was more getting a headache and feeling lethargic, recovering for that just means it eventually goes away...I don't get stimulated after recovoring from caffine withdrawl which I have also experienced.

I've researched coffee quite a bit over the web. I've read many articles, but i don't trust any of them. What i can tell you is what it does to my AS brain.

Once I start taking more than 3-4 mugs of coffee, i tend to find it difficult to put down. Eventually i end up increasing the dosage to about 6-7 mugs a day. At this stage i get lethargic, sleeping at abnormal times, body clock problems. Shaking may occur if i drink two at once.

The withdrawel effects of caffeine are much worse, this drug somehow convinces my brain that it is not in a normal state without coffee. At this stage i will get these thoughts... "but coffee makes me feel better, calmer, more social" and "i don't feel normal without coffee". A Headache may occur once in a while, i will feel more tired, sleep a lot more than usual. After about a month, these symptoms go away, normal sleep patterns return.

Then i go back to two mugs a day, rince and repeat.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 2:26 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger. It was not intended to have a go at at coffee drinkers. Simply to state that the claim that coffee makes people more productive is dubious at best. As i pointed out there are benefits to coffee.

This was a well set up experiment by Bristol University and there weren't just testing coffee, they tested chewing gum, fudge (sugar), sage pill or placebo, and the groups were comprised of coffee drinker an non-drinkers.

In the experiment people who chewed gum perceived themselves to be more productive and attentive even though the weren't. Those on sage didn't notice a difference even thought hey were.

Perception tends to drive most things.

Lol, I actually agree with you, I just find "numerous studies" or "evidence based research" or any such qualifier to be humorous, hence the reason I used it in a reply. Fact is studies are just that, studies, they don't necessarily apply to every single person/situation/etc-- I've never seen one that claims 100% accuracy, and would immediately ask what they're selling if I did.

As for perception, I perceive no difference when I'm on caffeine or off of caffeine. I like the taste of coffee, that's all. Does is affect my performance? Perhaps, but it's such a small percentage of performance that's it's not perceivable by myself or anyone around me so [humor]I'll continue to drink it until my heart explodes from coffee overdose-- which has got to be one of the coolest ways to go.[/humor]

SKSFox1999
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm

I hate the taste of coffee

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 3:02 pm

SKSFox1999 wrote:
I hate the taste of coffee

Blasphemer!

Snowflake1785
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm

I used to like it in high school. Though I suppose even then it was more milk and sugar than coffee.
These days I love me some caramel fraps from Starbucks. But as far as I know, real coffee drinkers don't consider that coffee...
So nope. Not really a coffee fan.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

Snowflake1785 wrote:
I used to like it in high school. Though I suppose even then it was more milk and sugar than coffee.
These days I love me some caramel fraps from Starbucks. But as far as I know, real coffee drinkers don't consider that coffee...

Lol, yeah, that sounds more like heated ice cream with caffeine than coffee.

Snowflake1785
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2015, 2:47 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Snowflake1785 wrote:

Lol, yeah, that sounds more like heated ice cream with caffeine than coffee.

Coffee ice cream IS tasty. Thinking of that made me wonder how much caffeine is actually in coffee ice cream. It apparently depends on the brand, but omg look at this Caffeine Ice Cream

ConcreteDinosaur
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2015, 2:54 pm

Almost everyone drinks a lot of coffee. I have a good coffee machine, but i try to limit my intake, and not drink it past the afternoon as it affects my sleep. I sometimes have it as a very mild stimulant to help me cope with situations i feel i can't quite face.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:29 pm

Snowflake1785 wrote:

Coffee ice cream IS tasty. Thinking of that made me wonder how much caffeine is actually in coffee ice cream. It apparently depends on the brand, but omg look at this Caffeine Ice Cream

Lol, I can't tell if that's marketed to kids or potheads.

Snowflake1785
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm

Aristophanes wrote:

What do they have more of in Wisconsin? And I must find out if this is available outside of Wisconsin...

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm

I use to drink coffee back when I was a boy, but for some reason it stopped tasting good to me and I went on solely with tea or as I prefer to call it my life blood. I still do enjoy the smell of coffee but all n all I prefer my cup of tea, sweet tea of course don't have much of a taste for the unsweetened. To anyone else who drinks it, ever get a good mental rush? One of my favorite parts of drinking it

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 5:17 pm

Commander wrote:
I use to drink coffee back when I was a boy, but for some reason it stopped tasting good to me and I went on solely with tea or as I prefer to call it my life blood. I still do enjoy the smell of coffee but all n all I prefer my cup of tea, sweet tea of course don't have much of a taste for the unsweetened. To anyone else who drinks it, ever get a good mental rush? One of my favorite parts of drinking it

Well, if we're talking sweetened tea that's not a mental rush that's a sugar rush my friend, lol.

Snowflake1785 wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

What do they have more of in Wisconsin? And I must find out if this is available outside of Wisconsin...

Well by that logic they are certainly marketing to kids with that packaging. I pity the parents with kids addicted to caffeine laced sugar lactose, I'd rather deal with angry monkeys throwing feces. Nothing against kids but kids hyped up on caffeine and sugar at the same time, that's just gotta be a circus.

FlyingSpaceKittie
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2015, 5:29 pm

I drink coffee with cream and sugar, but don't drink it too late in the evening. If I have just one cup at night I don't get any sleep. I prefer energy drinks, especially in the summer, and I also love frozen coffee drinks, I have a huge sweet tooth.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 6:01 pm

FlyingSpaceKittie wrote:
I have a huge sweet tooth.

As long as it's only one.