How do you handle being in locker rooms?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:33 am

I'll admit it, I have gotten shy around people in locker rooms. I remember in gym class that I used to change my clothes in the bathroom stall.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:16 am

Well, since I am gay, locker rooms provided a heady mix of temptation and danger.

There's still a certain nostalgia--but I am not nearly as curious as I was in my youth!

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:58 am

I didn't like it and I still don't. Unfortunately, it's the only place I have for taking showers! The high school locker room scene, and the expectation of showering naked with the others was a problem because I never did it. Shyness is natural, but being naked around people with whom relations were often marginal at best was unbearable. The lighting and tinny sound also make things clumsy and nervous. I also tend to be more clumsy with handling clothing and getting dressed when I am around other people. I just want to get out of there!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:47 pm

I can understand the need to shower naked but why don't people wear a towel on the way to the shower and the way back?

I understand they don't mind anyone seeing but do they understand others don't want to see? It's a bit like punching someone, just because delivering a punch to someone might hold entertainment does not mean being punched is entertaining.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:05 pm

Snapping other guys on the backside with a towel helps ease the tension ;)

j/k

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 3:03 am

I simply dont go in them! I wear what I am going to work out in to the gym, and wear that home, were I then get a shower in the privacy of my own bathroom.
I am not sure why people feel like they need to take a public shower, and you always get some fat hairy pervy guy walking around naked, it creaps me out.
I totally understand people not caring if they are seen, as we all have the same parts, it is just that I have always thought the guys locker rooms are like magnets for the perverts.

Quote:
Well, since I am gay, locker rooms provided a heady mix of temptation and danger.

There's still a certain nostalgia--but I am not nearly as curious as I was in my youth!

and this is a good example of why I dont use locker rooms, because of people like this (not gay people, but people who go there inorder to see a room full of naked people and get off on it, I refuse to provide anyone with there cheap thrills)

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 10:43 am

I used to be shy but now I don't care. Part of the reason is that lots of games during the engineering frosh at my university encouraged clothing removal (it wasn't called naked naked engfrosh for nothing). It's now become more tame because of third party complaints but being in an environment where people are comfortable just taking it off and going nuts does help ease your insecurities. It's also a good icebreaker, it's kind of hard to feel awkward around someone when you've gone streaking with them.

The other thing that helped was rowing. We had a small change room with one shower, you had to get naked in close proximity to other guys getting naked, and I sure as hell wasn't going to sit in my car with all that nasty water (the river we row on isn't very clean) and sweat all over me. The fact that most people around me were comfortable with it made it a lot easier for me to be comfortable with it. Now I really don't care who sees me naked, I don't flaunt it and walk around the change room in my birthday suit but I'm perfectly comfortable being naked. Hell I've got a 7' wide window in my room that faces my neighbors house, maybe 15' away with windows pointed at me, and I don't even have blinds. It helps that over the last two years I've lost weight and have become more comfortable with my body, but I was comfortable being naked even before that happened.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2009, 10:14 am

Being in locker rooms no longer bothers me after buying some of these nose clips to wear...
Image :P

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2009, 8:36 pm

I always change in the larger disabled toilet cubicle at University. It just generally means I don't have to worry about shyness/awkwardness. It was a nightmare at school, and so I bunked off of PE for a year or two. The teachers never noticed..!

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2009, 2:10 pm

When I was in college the only shower I had available was a gym-style group shower with 5 showerheads, so I had to get used to it real quick.

We would bring lawn chairs in there, crank on all the showerheads and sit in there and drink beer, it was no problem. Although I knew some people who would go in there and play soccer with a bar of soap :lol: that was a line I would not cross.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm

always had bad experiences with public showers to say the least. Last time it happened *back in my highschool days*, I ended up flying in a fit of rage and breaking a fellow *peers* nose and jaw. People always have to compare penis sizes and s**t to say the least.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 9:44 am

I hated locker rooms in gym class during school. Having to change in front of other people. I would just change in bathroom stall too. Still today, I refuse to go to spas or any public place where people change in front of others.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)