Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AnnV
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2009, 4:18 pm

Does anyone get dry itchy eyes? I have a nervous type of response to this, where I open my eyes wide (for just a second) and feel I look like Salvador Dali.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:11 pm

I get dry eyes sometimes. If it becomes a problem, there are things you can take that help, like chloramphenicol drops/ointment or viscotears gel.

AnnV
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2009, 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it's related to Aspergers?

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 8:33 pm

I've never heard of dry eyes being associated with Asperger's. But perhaps it could be. I've that bowel problems and adverse reactions to gluten and casein are more common amongs aspies than among NTs, but since these things don't seem to be a problem to me, I've never looked into it.

If I ever take sleeping tablets with anti-histamines in, they make my eyes very red and dry.
Alcohol has a similar effect, but I don't drink much.

AnnV
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2009, 8:50 pm

Thanks for the advice! I have that gluten thing you mentioned.

Glad you have the IB under control :)

Happy Holidays!!

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 6:56 am

Oops. I missed a word. I meant to type "I've heard that bowel problems and adverse reactions to gluten and casein are more common amongs aspies than among NTs".
I didn't mean to imply I had bowel problems myself.

Happy holidays!
(So is it true we're not supposed to say Happy Christmas anymore? :wink: )

happyhorse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Feb 2010, 3:10 pm

Hi

I was looking this up a month or so ago as I was having this problem plus a really dry mouth that happened overnight.
There is something called Sjogren's Syndrome which is an autoimmune condition involving the secreting glands (salivary, lacrimal etc).
Some quite recent research I saw had found a protective effect for something found in green tea. I'd post a link to it but I'm still too new to be allowed. :cry:
Anyhow I've been taking green tea extract (as I don't really enjoy the taste of the tea) and it has helped a lot with it.

I vaguely remember seeing that there is some correlation with Asperger's and this condition, I can't remember where that was though.
Green tea certainly has a lot of good properties, mostly anti-inflammatory so it might be worth a try.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2010, 10:47 pm

I have extremely dry eyes, but that is because I am older, and I have also suffered from repeated eye inflammations, as a result of a chronic autoimmune illness. I take fish oil capsules, cook with ghee (clarified butter) and use prescription eye moistening drops. I also spend way too much time in front of the computer, which can lead to itching and burning sensations in the eyes. :?

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 10:52 pm

I have trouble holding my eyes open for more than a second or two because they get dry almost instantly. It's been like this as long as I can remember. I blink constantly.

When I was like 13 I got timed in class at 92 blinks a minute :lol:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2010, 11:09 pm

Oddly enough, pure rosewater, applied to the eyes with a clean dropper, can provide instant, cooling relief to dry eyes. I use this after cutting up onions!