Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chair
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jun 2009, 8:42 pm

I don't know why, but they have never appealed to me before.

What about you?

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2009, 8:57 pm

Don't like team sports. Do like individual sports. But I don't ever do them...

c_l_j
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2009, 10:21 pm

Ive always hated sports, I think it might be an aspie thing beacuse most of us would rather do things that involve thinking, like reading, or art, not to say sports dont require thinking aswell just not as much. But some aspies enjoy sports beacuse it lets them use energy, something I lack :lol:

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 12:03 am

I've always hated sports too. I think it is because I'm male and everyone expects you to like sports when your male (football... ugh). Whenever I feel peer pressure to like something that I just don't care about, I end up hating it with a passion.

Plus when I use to play sports during P.E., all of the other students took the competitions in volleyball, softball, and more WAY TOO SERIOUSLY! I mean why bother? We weren't playing for a million dollars or ANYTHING ELSE. And they would all get VERY upset if we lost the meaningless game, even though we weren't being graded on whether we won or not, we were being graded for PARTICIPATING!... Sorry, I just have some nasty memories of high school and idiots I haven't gotten over yet.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:05 am

I have no love of team sports, I hate football. I would rather spend 90 minutes watching paint dry than watching a football match.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:15 am

AtomicKaiju wrote:
I've always hated sports too. I think it is because I'm male and everyone expects you to like sports when your male (football... ugh). Whenever I feel peer pressure to like something that I just don't care about, I end up hating it with a passion.

Plus when I use to play sports during P.E., all of the other students took the competitions in volleyball, softball, and more WAY TOO SERIOUSLY! I mean why bother? We weren't playing for a million dollars or ANYTHING ELSE. And they would all get VERY upset if we lost the meaningless game, even though we weren't being graded on whether we won or not, we were being graded for PARTICIPATING!... Sorry, I just have some nasty memories of high school and idiots I haven't gotten over yet.

+1.

Individual things I like- loner sports. The groupthink thing? No. And poor sportsmanship? Ugh. (Good God! It is a freaking GAME! The definition of "game" is "something fun!" (or so she thought naively).

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:40 am

Woodpecker wrote:
I have no love of team sports, I hate football. I would rather spend 90 minutes watching paint dry than watching a football match.

AMEN!

riverotter wrote:
+1.

Individual things I like- loner sports. The groupthink thing? No. And poor sportsmanship? Ugh. (Good God! It is a freaking GAME! The definition of "game" is "something fun!" (or so she thought naively).

AMEN AGAIN!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:00 am

I don't like sports but I like to wear jerseys because this is what some people performing on TV wear...

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2009, 12:18 pm

Chair wrote:
I don't know why, but they have never appealed to me before.

What about you?

Yeah, target shooting. Love it. :D

RealTalk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2009, 3:12 pm

Newsflash people: sports have and always will be a nessecary and healthy part of life which let's you keep your mind and body in balance. There's nothing better than being mentally exhausted from work or university, doing a good workout and feeling yourself rejuvinated somehow, even though you know you are now totally dead. Lots of sports also involve a healthy dose of social interaction and bonding, so I bet that's the reason you feel awkward with them (and the fact that nerdy people generally don't like sports)

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 11:49 pm

RealTalk wrote:
Newsflash people: sports have and always will be a nessecary and healthy part of life which let's you keep your mind and body in balance. There's nothing better than being mentally exhausted from work or university, doing a good workout and feeling yourself rejuvinated somehow, even though you know you are now totally dead.

Well, I think the argument here is about team sports- a totally different thing than a workout or exercise.
Physical activity does indeed keep mind and body in balance (mens sana in corpore sano) and I love a good bike ride, walk, kayak ride, cross-country ski trip, or other activity. I (and many others, I am gathering) have had what could have been a love of activity ruined by too much competition and bad attitudes by other "team" mates and coaches whose only goal was to win a game.

Benching an entire softball season while being made fun of by the "good" players on our nonetheless losing team did not instill a love of physical activity in me; discovering individual activity that suited my nature did. The "social activity and bonding" you mention occured for me only with two other wonderful benchwarmers, both of whom are my dear friends to this day- so the "team" factor was incidental, and the bonding had nothing to do with actually playing a game together.

I can watch parts of professional sports and marvel at human ability and grace and power. I just don't care who wins. It doesn't matter.

Please do not misunderstand: I do agree with a lot of what you are saying.

Fredozindo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2009, 3:49 am

..mmm... i like sport to spend energy... but nothing much fun...except dodgeball...with a softball of course...lol...it's fun....

yeah i thing is the aspie thing..... :wink: ....

RealTalk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2009, 3:49 am

Guess that's the big difference between you and me. Males are born to be competitive and aggressive, it's what brings you forward in life and what defines a man. Sometimes that competitiveness can escalate to outright hostility and shitflinging, but generally, you should have a healthy notion of "I gotta win, therefor that other guy has to go down!". The same thing can be said for career and love life really. Getting all cuddly and touchy feely with the whole "No one ever loses - everyone's a winner!" is what neuters and kills good sports.

TonyFremont
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2009, 12:16 pm

riverotter wrote:
Well, I think the argument here is about team sports- a totally different thing than a workout or exercise.

I wish I would have participated in team sports when I was younger. I really learned to appreciate the team mentality when I started working in IT (where I'm one of the "star" players and not a benchwarmer). I had to fix some equipment in HR one day and realized how being part of a team (as opposed to just doing my own thing) really made my life easier in my department. Our HR is basically a free for all, basically a backstabbing, gossipy, self serving bunch. They compete amongst themselves by trying to sabotage each other, and it's pure chaos. At least the team effort in my department reduces the amount of time I have to spend worrying how my coworkers are going to screw me out of a promotion or get me fired.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2009, 8:20 am

So what sports we can start playing now, given our limited motor skills...

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 8:43 pm

I don't hate sports, but I don't really like them either. I really just don't understand them. I see people sitting behind the TV, getting all upset when their team is losing. (the day of the highest wife abuse in the US is on Superbowl sunday) Really, at the end of the day, does it have any real signifigance in your life? Does your life signifigantly change one way or the other? No. Then why get so upset and waste 3 hours of your life watching it? I just don't understand it.

Quote:
Newsflash people: sports have and always will be a nessecary and healthy part of life which let's you keep your mind and body in balance.

I bike to work a couple times a week for exercise. Plus it gives me alone time and I love to count the cyclical pedal movements. Its a three in one win for me.

Quote:
Guess that's the big difference between you and me. Males are born to be competitive and aggressive, it's what brings you forward in life and what defines a man.

I don't believe its a male thing. Its probably one factor, but theres more. I'm a male I strongly dislike competition. I measure myself against myself at work. I don't feel a need or desire to measure up to others. (While my sister is very very competitive.) Theres got to be more to the equation.