Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2010, 6:15 am

I started boxing half a year ago and iam pretty happy with it, i specially like the tactical aspects ..
I really think it is a great sport cause of its teaching fortitude and confidence beside the obvios physical benefits.

Its also a great help to know that you can help your self if you get threatened by the guy who you didnt know was with the girl you are talking with in a bar...

Boxing for me is a great parable for social contact generally, you may get hurt when you face the things but you definitly get hurt if you dont face them.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2010, 9:11 pm

Okay, after eight months, I'll to respond to this.

I think boxing is a very good sport for Aspies. I used to box every week and it helped with recognizing physical cues, improving eye contact, reducing physical sensitivity, and I could go on.

I stopped boxing after I left my gloves in my exes car and never saw them again. But anyway, I would recommend boxing for anyone who ever thought about giving it a try.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2010, 7:44 pm

boxing is awesome fun. I don't train professionally or with a club, but it helps me build strength and confidence, and gets rid of pent up anger :D

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2010, 7:49 pm

i've had a go, want to get back to it as it was great

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2010, 2:54 am

I've been boxing, on and off, since I was a boy (11 years old). It's probably the sport I play best.

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:54 pm

is there anybody on WP who is a chess-boxer? yes, this sport does exist.

regularguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2010, 3:16 pm

I can't call myself a chess-boxer yet, but I would like to do it. The sport is big in the UK and other parts of Europe. I think that kind of competition would be very intense and very challenging.

Steve
--
"I can make it, I know I can.
You broke the boy in me, but you won't break the man."
--John Parr, "Man in Motion"

boxxarom
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

Cad wrote:
boxing is awesome fun. I don't train professionally or with a club, but it helps me build strength and confidence, and gets rid of pent up anger :D

My heavy bag gets a good beating when my stress level is high. lol The only thing I don't like about it is the absurd stereotypes that entangle it. Mike Tyson bites an ear off, so now boxers are ruthless barbarians that you should avoid? Wife beaters? I don't think so :( People like Alexis Arguello never caught the medias attention, it's always the violent aspects that people look at.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 3:22 am

I've been boxing for about two years now. I love it. :D

l05tin5pac3
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

Not exactly boxing, but I am the guy in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_n3vdaWrI
I do Wing Chun since about 20 years (my page: 8pwc.com) and recently wrote a book about it.
My girl is an aspie to, she is also in the video. We have some students also, they are the nearest thing to friends we have apart from very few true personal friends.

I think without this I would be in a very bad place today.

boxxarom
Raven
Raven

15 Jul 2011, 6:49 pm

kittie wrote:
I've been boxing for about two years now. I love it. :D

Girly boxer! Right on! I think it's great their FINALLY letting women fight in the Olympics. In our day and age, thats ridiculous. Should have been allowed long ago.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 3:28 am

boxxarom wrote:
Girly boxer! Right on! I think it's great their FINALLY letting women fight in the Olympics. In our day and age, thats ridiculous. Should have been allowed long ago.

Definitely! 8O Things seem to have been moving pretty slowly in allowing females to box compared to other sports - although I'm just going by my club. I'm the only girl there (so I have to spar with the guys who are told to go easy on me - ummm, thanks...) and they only started allowing females to train with them a few years back.

Markmagnum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

amateur boxer in training here! I've been training in boxing and MMA(Muay Thai,Gracie Jujutsu, and kick boxing) for a year now, and hope one day to compete in boxing and be the best!

Boxing,MMA, and other fight sports are the best sports, better and more entertaining than team sports. I'm south paw, but am currently trying to change to an orthodox stance to be more versatile and unpredictable, and prefer angle punches to straight punches. Need to work on my foot movement, and head movement is getting better. Plus I need to lose weight.

One problem I have is with money, as i'm kinda jobless right now and am searching for a job, and need money to continue my training.

boxxarom
Raven
Raven

16 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

kittie wrote:
boxxarom wrote:

Definitely! 8O Things seem to have been moving pretty slowly in allowing females to box compared to other sports - although I'm just going by my club. I'm the only girl there (so I have to spar with the guys who are told to go easy on me - ummm, thanks...) and they only started allowing females to train with them a few years back.

The place I go to actually has a lot of girls that go there. However, they don't go for the fighting, they go for the workout program. :flower: I still think it's good though, and some of them have showed interest in training for fighting.
So how do you do in sparring? :twisted:

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 6:45 am

boxxarom wrote:
The place I go to actually has a lot of girls that go there. However, they don't go for the fighting, they go for the workout program. :flower: I still think it's good though, and some of them have showed interest in training for fighting.

Pfft, you should get some of them to spar, that's half the fun! :P But it's great your club has so many girls, I wish mine did.

And a eighteen months ago I was useless but I'm getting better, I'll be competing next season. :) I'm still someone to 'go easy' on though. :P

boxxarom
Raven
Raven

18 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

kittie wrote:
boxxarom wrote:

Pfft, you should get some of them to spar, that's half the fun! :P But it's great your club has so many girls, I wish mine did.

And a eighteen months ago I was useless but I'm getting better, I'll be competing next season. :) I'm still someone to 'go easy' on though. :P

I know! This one girl comes in sometimes and says she wants to spar, but she never follows through :? You'll get better with time and practice. Just work hard at it!