How many people know how to drive here?

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2010, 3:59 am

Does anyone drive here in this forum. If so, can you drive on surface streets or can you both drive surface streets and freeways? If so, tell about your story.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 6:34 am

I know how to drive anywhere, any time. For some reason I've never had trouble with it. I learned to drive when I was twelve, Mum taught me in my step-dads truck. I started driving in the city at 18 but didn't get my license till I was twenty, so I suppose I'm a decent driver. They never caught me. In fact, in the five years I've been on the road in a large town, I've not once been pulled over for anything that was my fault. I got pulled over once for my vehicle matching the description of someone else's, and they were shooting rounds in the air, but once they figured out that these are not the droids they were looking for I was off.

I laughed at my sis, she got her license only about two years ago and has already encountered cops twice, one time resulting in a fine and court date.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 7:22 am

I can drive just about anywhere... I really never understood the trend of aspies and driving. It isn't much different because of asperger's.

By the way, freeway driving is ALOT easier than surface street driving.

morrison
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2010, 7:30 am

I don't have a driver's license, I go everywhere by bike or public transport.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

15 Mar 2010, 8:58 am

I took driver's ed when I was 15, though I didn't get my license until I was almost 17. I only had minimal driving experience when I went off to college (small town driving only). For the first two years of college, I didn't drive (I went away to school and couldn't afford the extra cost of bringing my car to the big city).my second two years of college took place in a medium size city. It was there that I really learned to drive in freeway traffic.

Driving is usually very relaxing for me (except when constrained in bumper-to-bumper congestion). I probably have a less than beneficial lack of fear when driving. I speed (unless I zone out, when that happens I tend to drop speed dramatically) and drive a bit offensively. I have been pulled over three times for speeding and have yet to get a ticket. I have been in a minor fender bender (mostly the other person's fault for pulling out in front of me without looking, however I was speeding a TAD).

Overall, I am a fairly good driver and I enjoy the freedom it provides.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2010, 9:06 am

I don't understand the stereotype about autistics not being able to drive. I drive pretty regularly. My college is almost 20 miles away and I drive there on a near daily basis at times. Not dead yet.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 9:28 am

I didn't want to drive for the first two years I had my permit (I got it at 16) but now that I'm in college I need to have my license. I'm in driving lessons now, so I should have my license by June. :)

ForsakenEagle
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2010, 10:23 am

I have had my license sense I turned 16. Everything is miles and miles away from where I live, so I am glad I am perfectly comfortable (most of the time) driving.

Penny_Black
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2010, 11:26 am

I didn't get my license until I was 30. I tried to learn how to drive in the UK when I was 17. But because of my co-ordination issues the manual transmission gave me problems. I couldn't deal with the 3 pedals and the stick shift. Moving to the USA and learning to drive using an automatic transmission made it easier. I am so happy I can drive. I never thought I would be able to. Freeways are scary here in Los Angeles but you get used to them. I am so relieved there aren't any ring roads to deal with. The only issue I have is getting lost. I have a terrible sense of direction. I rely on a GPS to get me plac

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:27 am

I have my drivers license and can drive anywhere. I can also drive any single vehicle (including large trucks without trailers and buses). The only thing I cannot drive are tractor-trailers and vehicles which require placards due to hazardous materials (did not feel it was the best use of $100 every 4 years).

I got my class D license when I was almost 18 and my CDL when I was 30.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 11:33 am

i drive everyday

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 12:13 pm

I drive. I got my permit and license around the usual time, except that once it came to it, I was a bit reluctant. But I did get it and did alright until I got married. My husband's car had manual transmission and I came to California to live in his apartment, so I had to learn to drive a "stick" in a place that is all hills. My husband's aunt tried to teach me to drive one, but she had me go up a little hill in a parking lot just to demonstrate to me what could happen, so that she could then explain what to do on a hill. But it backfired on her... because once I found out that you could do that if you clutched wrong, I was terrified and refused to drive another inch. Since I couldn't (wouldn't) get the hang of the clutch, I didn't drive for 4 years until we traded the car in for an automatic. I just didn't see how I could be a safe driver with yet another thing to figure out considering that I had all I could do just keeping track of all the other cars and pedestrians. And the thought of stalling on a hill with all those California drivers behind me absolutely paralyzed me.

Turns out I was right. One of the greatest torments of my day is driving among people who, in my husband's opinion, are not giving a thought to how their driving affects surrounding drivers (he was trying to explain that he's pretty sure they just don't think about it as I do). I feel persecuted when people drive behind me for some reason. I'm not just talking about tailgating, I mean just following at a regular distance for a while. I feel like they're chasing me! Now, my rational mind deals with that, after all, I do the same. It's called Driving in Traffic. The feeling is just an impulse I don't much like. But the trouble is that I feel like that in situations where I recognize there is no malice towards me, but usually, what I get is people who follow too closely and whip around you at the first opportunity or get closer and closer as if unable to grasp the fact that you aren't going to get any faster. They are at least 50% SUVs and those extra-bulgy trucks, where I drive a sedan. But cars of all sizes, and I am not exaggerating, are 90% driven by people who follow too closely. Their behavior is so similar that I can actually predict their actions. I actually can sense when someone is going to pull over in front of me from their behavior even though many do not signal. I have driven among them for long enough to actually get this figured out. And for some reason, that makes it more annoying, which is bad because I already was bothered by driving among them, and now they're tailgating and acting like mindless sheep and repeatedly threatening my life with their impatience and they aren't even thinking about it?!?!?!

Pretty hard. If I had a choice, I'd bicycle. It's stressful around here, too. But if I want, I can just hop off and walk, stop almost anywhere, and the physical exercise helps with the stress.

So yeah, I drive. And I have to force myself to not ram the next idiot who tailgates and then whips around me as if to say, "That'll show you, this is how you're supposed to drive," because I have a Toyota and I could be bad and say, "Oh my, the car just leaped forward all by itself! I'd better get it to the dealership! Of course, you know them, they'll deny everything, but we know what happened..."

For the record, I'm not gonna do that. But I do enjoy it very much when a cop enters traffic and everyone slows down to a nervous crawl... every except me. That's the peace of not speeding in the first place. I wouldn't gloat so much if they weren't all so annoying. Seriously, all. It's a regional driving style or something.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm

I've driven since I was 16, but my license is restricted to AUTOMATIC transmission only due to my hearing impairment.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 12:45 pm

dt18 wrote:
I don't understand the stereotype about autistics not being able to drive. I drive pretty regularly. My college is almost 20 miles away and I drive there on a near daily basis at times. Not dead yet.
Same, my commute is 28 miles. I love my machine. I drive a standard and enjoy doing my own maintenance on it. I feel relatively at home in it. I also deliver pizzas in it. I learned at 16 and a half on an automatic. My dad took me in his car a few times to learn standard. I refined my skill with my boyfriend who is a car guy.

It was really scary learning, and then driving by myself. There was so much to pay attention to. The free way was a little overwhelming. Once I got used to it, though, it's ok. I don't like driving on road trips necessarily, but I will if necessary. (What else is there to do?) I mean, once I had to drive from Indiana (the northeastern-most portion of it) to Buffalo. That was a feat.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

Not much story. I wasn't dying to get my license as a teenager like a lot of my peers, but it's just a part of growing up. (Advice: Never take the practical driving test in a station wagon - they're a b*tch to parallel park.)

Been driving since 16. Hated shifting a manual transmission at first, but now I won't own a car without a stick.

Unless you live in a large metro area with plenty of public transportation, driving isn't really optional. I've known a couple of adults who don't drive, but they're totally dependent on the kindness (and the schedules) of others to get anywhere, including work or the grocery store. They walk a lot.

My weakness is that I'm utterly useless as a mechanic, so when a car breaks down, I'm screwed. My dad is one of those guys who can open the hood and get it going again with gum and a paperclip, no matter what the problem is.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Mar 2010, 1:47 pm

I took driving lessons at age 18, but the instructor gave up on me, because I would not pay attention, and was too easily distracted. I tried again when I was in my 30's, and got my license. What motivated me, was going back to school, and needing a car to get to the college. There was a bus that went there, but some of my classes were too early for the bus route. I am a very good driver. I think that starting later in life, and having a child, were factors in this. I only had four negative occurrences while driving; an intoxicated driver turned onto a bridge and totaled my car. (Fortunately, I wasn't badly hurt!) Another time, I was driving a clunker, and it stalled on an incline. It was the first time this had happened to me, and I panicked, shifted into neutral without keeping my foot on the brake. The car rolled backward, and hit another car. But the damage was minimal. Overall, I enjoy driving, and the freedom it gives. I was especially proud, when my insurance company reduced my premiums as a reward for safe driving! :)