Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PeredeMocha
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2004, 1:57 pm

I have hitting golf balls at the range for 1 1/2 years. never on the course since i don't have any friends and I am not good enough to play with strangers. my ballstriking has gotten pretty good in the past 2 weeks. But that has happened before before my stroke fell apart.

Because of my AS look and demeneanor , I get lots of angry glares at the driving range. I normally will later obsess on it with elaborate and rehearsed revenge scenarios. Wellanyway, with the exception of some as*holes, hitting golfballs is decent exercise and not dependent upon social interaction. Except for the few bad tips I've received from well meaning strangers.

pah2world
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2005, 12:51 am

I play but not often, which I'm always meaning to change.

I've never used a driving range regular. They can be a little nerve racking, if people around you are hitting long.

Do you have routines to keep it interesting?

Have you had lessons?

I've had a couple.

I can't hit woods or get much distance, but I can be fairly straight.

TheWhale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2005, 5:38 am

I am taking lessons but have not played a round yet. Miniature golf was always fun. There was a course just a mile from my home where I grew up. Golf seems like it could be very relaxing if you have the right attitude. My Cockatoo enjoys watching me putt on the living room floor. She jumps on the putter and hangs upside down to watch it hit the ball.

Jerry Newport

triforce1215
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2005, 3:01 pm

lol. I took lessons, and golf seems fun. Me, my mom, my dad, my cousin, and maybe even my pastor are going to try to go golfing this summer. On a course i mean.

Master Chief: You got any Prophets?
Pichu: Go fish. I mean..PICHU!!

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2005, 8:59 am

We have a cool little par 3 course that is cheap to play on and it is pretty nice. I want to get into some more golf but it's hard to throw in with the rest of the sports.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2005, 8:32 am

I play EXTREME Golf, in the middle of the city. You can get some pretty nice shots rebounding off billboards and stuff, but you have to be careful for irate drivers if you hit car windows.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2005, 3:29 pm

We slam some golf balls at the beach and then go get the balls when the tide is out. The sand bars go out for a mile when the tide is out, sometimes we even make sand-bar golf courses.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 4:09 pm

Golf is sport I like but I am not to good at it.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2006, 6:51 am

I like Golf, haven't play a proper full game on a golf course, just a few rounds. Mostly we do driving practice. Extreme Golf is fun but quite hazardous and prone to cheating. A good course is about three kilometres if you're in a rural town. My brother and I play Speed Golf which heart-attack inducing and not suitable for pregnant women and the elderly.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2012, 8:12 pm

I teach golf and have AS. Feel free to write.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm

Why has your stroke fallen apart?

I like golf, but I dont play properly. I make it around with about 6 clubs.

A 3 wood off the tee

A fairway wood rather than a long iron

A 7 for midrange

A PW For close range

SW for bunkers

and a Putter

Never use any other clubs so I must be a bad player but I can get around with the same ball i started with

:D

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2012, 7:54 pm

Your stroke can't fall apart, but your mind can. You need to work on positive thinking and a pre-shot routine, then you will play well again.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

melcooley
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2012, 5:48 am

I used to be obsessed with golf. Came up with this theory that the path of the
left arm is simple (for a right handed player), straight back and thru. That if that
arm was the dominant arm which controlled the swing then it would pull down
the right arm and prevent an over the top (slice) swing. So I bought a used
driving range mat and a net that I attached to the ceiling of my garage and hit
whiffle balls into the net every day in my garage using just my left arm. Did that
off and on for years and it eventually worked. Hit it pretty long and straight, hit
most fairways. But my putting truly sucks and the more I practiced the worse
it got so I haven't played in awhile.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2012, 6:15 am

melcooley wrote:
I used to be obsessed with golf. Came up with this theory that the path of the
left arm is simple (for a right handed player), straight back and thru. That if that
arm was the dominant arm which controlled the swing then it would pull down
the right arm and prevent an over the top (slice) swing. So I bought a used
driving range mat and a net that I attached to the ceiling of my garage and hit
whiffle balls into the net every day in my garage using just my left arm. Did that
off and on for years and it eventually worked. Hit it pretty long and straight, hit
most fairways. But my putting truly sucks and the more I practiced the worse
it got so I haven't played in awhile.

Sorry to say this but you have two arms... why then practise like a one armed golfer? Your train of thought is so off the mark, it hurts!

The left hand is the dominant one, you hold the club with it, and the right hand releases the club though impact. On the takeaway, your right arm acts as a lever going straight back from the ball, then it has a second lever action (the elbow hinges), then your wrists hinge upwards. after that in order to make a shoulder turn, you rotate your left forearm to the right as you swing upwards, whilst attempting to keep your hips and pelvic area still and flexed.
Please now begin to practise using both arms, and then you will make progress, forget thoughts of slice ,hook,push, etc.... see the target area and just hit the ball towards it.
Thanks.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt

melcooley
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2012, 6:55 am

Sorry to contradict a professional but in learning a full swing my method worked.
At least for me. Most days I hit the ball straight. If not I play with a slight fade. The
point is I can repeat the swing over and over. It is in putting that I struggle.

Don't tell me you are one of those guys who would have tried to change Moe
Norman's swing.

What the golf world needs is more Moe and less Greg.

davidgolfpro
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2012, 7:03 am

One of those guys? I find your remarks very patronising and arrogant to say the least.

I could say you are one of the those guys that think you can teach yourself. But the fact that your best is a 79 shows you are talented enough to teach yourself, I taught myself and shot 63 over 18 holes.

Talent is really something that you are born with, it's not learnable, so you need a Pro that you get on well with and take a 1-2 lessons a month for life, and just practise what you have been taught and nothing else. Video is a must, but ask for it as it costs extra in many places.

No Moe Norman didn't need a coach as he had a God-like talent, and crazy mind...please don't try to copy his technique,as it was the swing that was built around his mind and body, your body and joints etc.... are nowhere near his.

Moe was like Seve,Tiger,Rory,Jack,Arnold,Ben, Walter,.............all pure geniuses.

158 of 200 Aspergers.
58 of 200 Nt