Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:13 pm

What is your view on this?

I think it's a great idea. A lot of bugs are very good for your health. Crickets, meal worms, super worms... All very healthy and easy to breed for a much larger food supply. The trick is learning how to cook them properly, but once you have, they are not only tasty, but a healthy treat, especially if they've been gutloaded with very healthy foods. I think if there comes a time where people are lacking healthy food sources, a lot of people will resort to eating and breeding bugs, or at least it would be a smart thing to do.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:16 pm

Spiders, and anything that flies - are a no no.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2012, 2:17 pm

As a vegetarian, I personally don't see much difference between eating a mealworm and eating a cow. I'm sure bugs are delicious; shrimp and lobsters are basically bugs, right? :)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:17 pm

A lot of people eat bugs. In South Africa they eat caterpillars. In Oaxaca they also eat grasshoppers. I've eaten grasshoppers myself. They're crunchy and pretty salty, but good. Bugs and worms are also eaten in other parts of the world. I know there's a certain type of bee or wasp or something people eat. Different cultures cook and eat them in different ways.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:23 pm

smudge wrote:
Spiders, and anything that flies - are a no no.
I probably wouldn't eat flies, but certain kinds of spiders... Maybe. I think I would prefer a large tarantula charred on a grill:P

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:24 pm

mushroo wrote:
As a vegetarian, I personally don't see much difference between eating a mealworm and eating a cow. I'm sure bugs are delicious; shrimp and lobsters are basically bugs, right? :)
Yes some bugs are delicious. I never really looked into your question, but as a non vegetarian meat loving savage, it doesn't really matter when I'm chowing down on em:)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:24 pm

In the Asian supermarket here in Seattle they sell cooked frozen grubs (they call it cooked Dade - nhong luoc). Being the adventurous type I bought a package. It took about two weeks before I tried to eat it. I marinated it in hot curry sauce for hours, heated it then attempted to eat it. I couldn't do it. I just didn't have the cajones so I flushed the whole enchilada down the drain. The Vietnamese, BTW, already have a long history of starvation and poverty so that's why everything that's ever walked, swam or flew end up on their table. I have eaten unusual things in the past though, just not insects.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:28 pm

persian85033 wrote:
A lot of people eat bugs. In South Africa they eat caterpillars. In Oaxaca they also eat grasshoppers. I've eaten grasshoppers myself. They're crunchy and pretty salty, but good. Bugs and worms are also eaten in other parts of the world. I know there's a certain type of bee or wasp or something people eat. Different cultures cook and eat them in different ways.
Ah yes, I've had grasshopper too. I love the crunchy, salty, and smoky flavor when cooked. Bugs are very popular in some other countries, I don't know why they aren't in the US. I guess a lot of us are just used to convenience and are squeemish.

I have also tried mealworm. Sweet nutty and crunchy chitin shell! Could eat em like potato chips... by the handfuls!

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 2:31 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
In the Asian supermarket here in Seattle they sell cooked frozen grubs (they call it cooked Dade - nhong luoc). Being the adventurous type I bought a package. It took about two weeks before I tried to eat it. I marinated it in hot curry sauce for hours, heated it then attempted to eat it. I couldn't do it. I just didn't have the cajones so I flushed the whole enchilada down the drain. The Vietnamese, BTW, already have a long history of starvation and poverty so that's why everything that's ever walked, swam or flew end up on their table. I have eaten unusual things in the past though, just not insects.
I never tried those before, but they look interesting. I need to go to an AZN supermarket now! What was the name of the super market if you can remember?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 3:39 pm

I've never tried it, but I'll try anything once as long as it isn't toxic.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 4:56 pm

The market that sells cooked Dade in Seattle is HT Market in the Oak Tree Plaza at 100th St & Aurora. HT stands for Hop Thanh. Generally, markets like that, including Uwajimaya and Wah Market in the International District, sell foods that would make most Americans cringe: pig bung, snails, pig blood...I've heard they may also have fried starfish but I haven't seen it.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 5:21 pm

mushroo wrote:

Beef is less squirty than bugs are when you bite into it.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 7:30 pm

mushroo wrote:

As a predatory omnivore... well, a carrion-eating omnivore actually, seeing that I don't hunt myself and instead buy parts of corpses that have been dead for days... I don't see much difference between eating a chicken leg and a head of lettuce :) The only difference is that my meat is already dead, whereas the lettuce is still alive and breathing when I eat it. It seems crueler to me to bite into respiring, living tissue that might grow roots again if you put it in soil, but I don't care as long as it's healthy and tastes good.

Anyway, you're correct that there isn't much of a difference between insect larvae and shrimps. Both are arthropods, and both are quite healthy (low in fat, high in protein). I love shrimps and lobster and would give mealworms a try. What I wouldn't eat though is locusts, because they're served in the carapace. I prefer my meat without a chitinous wrapper. If it's too much effort to peel the bugs, they're not worth eating.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 7:37 pm

Pondering wrote:
persian85033 wrote:
Ah yes, I've had grasshopper too. I love the crunchy, salty, and smoky flavor when cooked. Bugs are very popular in some other countries, I don't know why they aren't in the US. I guess a lot of us are just used to convenience and are squeemish.

I have also tried mealworm. Sweet nutty and crunchy chitin shell! Could eat em like potato chips... by the handfuls!

Mealworms have a carapace too? I somehow thought they resembled maggots. If they have an exoskeleton, I wouldn't try them. I don't want to pick tiny limbs and mandibles and other chitinous bits out of my teeth :x Isn't that kind of like eating unpeeled shrimps?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 7:44 pm

Perhaps we should clone prehistoric arthropods from fossil DNA :D Their giant size would justify the effort of peeling them first. I bet one could cut more than a hundred juicy steaks out of arthropleura.

I'm not sure if they would thrive in today's oxygen poor atmosphere, but even if they'd only grow to the size of rabbits, it would be worth the effort.

Edited to add: Although much smaller than Arthropleura, Meganeura would also be worth firing up the grill for. Baguette-sized yumminess. All the hunter needs is a very large flyswatter.

Last edited by CrazyCatLord on 17 May 2012, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 7:53 pm

I find the idea significantly less disgusting than eating chickens, cows, and pigs.

to his Interest."