Why do women wear workout clothes to go for a walk?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

As the title says, I've noticed this around my neighborhood. Women will go for walks wearing full workout gear, like today I saw a woman wearing full black compression clothes and just walking on the sidewalk. I'd understand it if they're running, but they're not, they're simply taking a walk, like everyone used to do since the beginning of time until we got personal chariots in the 20th century. I mean, I admit, I'm a bit on the lazy side with workout clothes, and will do a whole workout in the gym in jeans and a collared shirt if I just don't feel like changing, so maybe I'm not one to judge, but it seems these women are really overdressed for taking a walk.

Why is this so, can anyone give me any input?

abifae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2012, 4:40 pm

I think it is to get them into the mind set to work out. Like, if they stay in regular clothes, they cannot motivate to go out. I know a lot of people who need to change their attire to change activities. I know I have more energy to get things done if I get dressed instead of staying in pajamas all day. So on my weekends, I get dressed for the day to get myself active, even if I'm not leaving the house.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:51 pm

abifae wrote:
I think it is to get them into the mind set to work out. Like, if they stay in regular clothes, they cannot motivate to go out. I know a lot of people who need to change their attire to change activities. I know I have more energy to get things done if I get dressed instead of staying in pajamas all day. So on my weekends, I get dressed for the day to get myself active, even if I'm not leaving the house.

Pretty much what I was going to say. I ma in my workout clothes, that means I am going to workout. Same with wearing your work clothes, or putting your thinking cap on

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

Delphiki wrote:
abifae wrote:
Pretty much what I was going to say. I ma in my workout clothes, that means I am going to workout. Same with wearing your work clothes, or putting your thinking cap on

Do you actually put a "thinking cap" on when you think? I always thought it was just an expression lol.

And more to the topic, perhaps they're doing more than just walking? They may have been doing strength training/cardio before or after the walk, doing a run/walk mix, power walking, or any number of things! And even if they are just walking, if it's hot outside you're going to be sweating a lot, so you want clothes that are lightweight (and don't want to get sweat all over your regular clothes!)

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:13 pm

conan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

how do you know she was not about to run or had been? i get the impression that womans clothing is often not hugely funcional for anything strenuous. eg tight jeans, high heels etc. obviously that is only a small proportion of clothing but i do think there is a tendency. Maybe that tendency makes it that much more comfortable to wear the correct attire for a given activity?

whenever i go outside most runners/cyclists etc are wearing specific clothing for the task. it seems to me like as more and more people are getting into fitness (in an organised attempt) that their is a market being grown.

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:39 pm

I saw this today while I was out jogging. Really, for a lot of people/women, I think it's about how it makes them feel ... they're "exercising" and they feel fashionable so they feel good about themselves. To each their own. They certainly look a heck of a lot better than I do at the end of a four or five mile run when I'm all sweaty and my face looks like a tomato ready for popping. :oops:

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

I wear my workout gear when I'm out for a walk because I need to stretch a lot. Jeans or regular shorts are not good for getting a quality stretch. Another reason you might see me in exercise gear when out for a walk is because it could be a warm up or cool down when I use my home gym.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

I have an acquaintance who puts on her workout shorts and light shirts with the arms cut off during some of the hot and sunny days, like she is going to run. She intends on running, but because running and getting in shape can be quite a struggle for her, she normally ends up walking most of the way talking on the phone and getting a tan. I always thought it was better than nothing though, and at least running is a goal of hers even though she is really struggling with it, and she's getting some sun. For some people walking is a work out too.

Another possible unmentioned reason for her or anyone else could be because they think that's what you are supposed to wear when you are working out. My parents who don't know much about working out bought me a full sweat suit for XMAS when I was younger, trying to lose weight. The ones that look like trash bags. All that will do is make me lose water weight, so I never used it, since I'm not doing anything that requires me losing water weight like cutting weight for example. If I had not known better I would have worn the thing.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:51 pm

1000Knives wrote:
As the title says, I've noticed this around my neighborhood. Women will go for walks wearing full workout gear, like today I saw a woman wearing full black compression clothes and just walking on the sidewalk. I'd understand it if they're running, but they're not, they're simply taking a walk, like everyone used to do since the beginning of time until we got personal chariots in the 20th century. I mean, I admit, I'm a bit on the lazy side with workout clothes, and will do a whole workout in the gym in jeans and a collared shirt if I just don't feel like changing, so maybe I'm not one to judge, but it seems these women are really overdressed for taking a walk.

Why is this so, can anyone give me any input?

I wear sweatpants and a t-shirt when I walk because I don't want to sweat into my pretty clothes.
For many people, walking is as strenuous as running is for you.

Also, it might have nothing to do with their activity, as opposed to the fact that they're outside, where it's FREAKING HOT.
I don't want to ruin my blouses or dresses with grody pit stains, personally.

I would think wearing sweatpants would constitute being underdressed, not "over"?

to his Interest."

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 2:41 pm

It's not just women that do this I do also when I am going out for a run or working out I wear a tank top and shorts cause I do not want to get my good clothes dirtty.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:16 pm

I have no idea. If you ever figure it out, let me know.

Hell if I put on workout clothes everytime I had to walk somewhere, not much else would be getting done. It says a lot about their lifestyle that they feel the need to do that in the first place.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:37 pm

Kjas wrote:
It says a lot about their lifestyle that they feel the need to do that in the first place.

?

to his Interest."

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kjas wrote:
It says a lot about their lifestyle that they feel the need to do that in the first place.

?

What I meant is that in lots of places walking is a mode of transportation as opposed to self imposed "exercise".

Most of those who treat it as transportation, do not put on fancy workout clothes every time they go for a walk. You won't see that in east asia or latin america as a rule.

Many people who don workout clothes like what 1000 described are largely in a culture where walking is not a mode of transporation, or where being sedentary is the norm, or both.

(Note that this applies to cultures in general and NOT to every individual within that culture)

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

Women tend to wear a million layers of thin clothing. Why get all that wet when you can just wear some sweatpants and a compression shirt? Also women tend to dress real specifically for the occasion, which is why they have so many different articles of clothing. I can just throw on a hoody, T-shirt, and jeans on any day that isn't too hot or cold. Women can't just throw anything on and go out, they have to think about it.

jwhitco_1306
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2012, 11:49 am

there are many reasons we where workout clothing for a walk.
1. they are warming up/ cooling down for a more intence workout
2.they are going to be walking for an extended period of time (regular clothing tends to rub at the seams.
3.They think it is a social norm