Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 9:48 pm

any swimmers here. competive or fun,exercising.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

when I used to live within driving distance of a pool [YMCA] I would swim a mile most nights. that was about 8 years ago most recently. I was fitter then.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm

200 yd free style was my event in high school, then swam a mile like aunt blabby for exercise during college and grad school. these days, I just walk, and not enough of that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 10:21 pm

^^^
bet you're still relatively hellafit :thumleft:

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 10:38 pm

<--- Far from hellafit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 10:40 pm

^^^
bet you used to be hellafit at least.

NEWanderer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Oct 2013, 8:43 am

Mainly for triathlons. I'll do the 100 fly competitively in off season; not with any glory.

steve30
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2013, 10:49 am

I used to go swimming regularly. Haven't been for a long time though. I usually find it a bit stressful as the pools can get quite busy.

I have the ability to swim a mile or so when I go swimming.

Only problem I have with swimming is that my technique isn't quite right. I've never been able to get it right. I get by though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 10:51 am

steve30 wrote:
I used to go swimming regularly. Haven't been for a long time though. I usually find it a bit stressful as the pools can get quite busy. I have the ability to swim a mile or so when I go swimming. Only problem I have with swimming is that my technique isn't quite right. I've never been able to get it right. I get by though.

my technique always has been as clumsy as all get-out, I basically bulldozer through the water. :oops:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

I swim in the creek,it's cold but nice and clean and private.And I get to see birds and other wildlife.I like to toss bread crumbs in the water and watch the fish.
My swimming style is the doggy paddle,I hate to get my face underwater.My bio-mom took me swimming when I was about five and she thought it would be funny for me to go off the slide where it was over my head,I still can vividly remember going under and seeing the light above my head in the water,I have no idea who jerked me out of the water.She and her friend thought it was fun to take me into deep water and toss me back and forth,me screaming the whole time.
They stopped because people started giving them funny looks.
I did have a sweet Aunt who taught me how to float,I excel at that.I can float all day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 11:05 am

^^^
glad to hear you recovered from that abuse.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 11:20 am

^^^^I have always been grateful that my Aunt and Uncle adopted me.They tried to get my bio-mom and me to bond by having me spend time with her,ugh.Only recently did I find out she did lots of trucker speed when she was pregnant with me,gee,thanks mom :evil:

NineSpiral09
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2014, 5:21 am

I live in a place full of condos (8 housing units per building) with a private pool. Ever since I was still in diapers, my mom would sometimes take me there for a swim and that's when I developed a natural ability to swim. In addition I started taking swimming lessons at various pools near local parks, but I still preferred swimming in the private pool because there was less noise and "accidents" in the water. However these days it's not easy finding time to visit the pool especially during the summer when other residents and their children hog the space which prevents lap swimmers like me to comfortably take a few repetitions.

Additionally, I don't find it so comfortable going on my own to the pool these days because while it is private, the houses aren't barricaded by a high wall or fence. This pretty much means non-residents can come and go as they please through the property even though there is a sign outside that says "private property" (most people ignore it). I'm a girl and right outside the set of condos are a few shady looking locations such as taqueria shop, a laundromat, pizza place, and a video store that should have fallen down due to competitors like Netflix & Redbox. Considering that, I wouldn't be happy if an unwelcome visitor happens to show up and leer at me through the gate while I do my laps.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:10 pm

I love swimming for fun, exercise, and keeping cool on a hot day. My backyard pool isn't designed for laps, I wish I had a place to practice backstroke. I've never had lessons, and my form is very inefficient and tiring.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:12 pm

metaldanielle wrote:
I love swimming for fun, exercise, and keeping cool on a hot day. My backyard pool isn't designed for laps, I wish I had a place to practice backstroke. I've never had lessons, and my form is very inefficient and tiring.

how far away is the nearest YMCA?

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2014, 11:41 pm

30 min drive, maybe? I wouldn't be able to get a ride very often, so it wouldn't be financially advisable to pay the membership fee just for that. I've also heard that membership is limited to county residents, but I can't confirm that w/o calling. If it's true, that would mean I couldn't join at all.