Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 11:46 am

I wash myself regularly, change my shirt every day, use deodorant every day and shave my armpits, but I still find myself smelling of body odour under my arms if I get too hot during the day, particularly when I'm at work. I wear cotton shirt with no sleeves or other types where my skin can breathe, but if I get too hot and sweaty when doing physical tasks I start to smell a slight unpleasant smell near my armpits. I keep a deodorant in my locker at work which sometimes helps but I still get self-conscious. It makes me feel dirty.

Is there anytbing other than deodorant I can put under my arms to reduce the chance of sweating?

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 3:44 pm

Try bringing a pocket fan... a big one.
Or rub an ice cold drink (and I mean FREEZING cold) all over wherever you're sweating.
And be sure to stay hydrated. Cold water helps.
If your workplace has a shower room then ask to use their shower.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 4:20 pm

I have this problem too. The frustrating thing is I scrub myself clean in the shower in the morning and still by lunchtime I'm all sweaty and smelly. I've had a viral infection recently and that's made me worse than usual.

I buy sure or dove 48 hour anti-persperant. It's expensive in supermarkets at around £5, but you can get it in savers or semi-chem for £3.99.

Now I known that not everyone wants to use anti-persistent, but it's what has helped me. I have a friend with hyperhidrosis who gets her under arms botoxed on the nhs.

You should maybe see your gp about and find out if you have hyperhidrosis. Says me, the hypocrite who hasn't been to the Dr about it. NHS Choices -hyperhidrosis

I find my issues are worse at certain parts of my menstrual cycle, especially a few days before my period. I just can't scrub away the smell and I can move from the bedroom to the kitchen and end up ringing with sweat.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

18 Jun 2018, 7:45 pm

There's a disorder called Hyperhidrosis where people sweat excessively. They're treatments available for it including meds. I'm on one of the meds but I'm on it partly so I don't wake up having to pee as much. The med is Oxybutynin. I still sweat but I don't sweat as much being on it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chelsie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2018, 9:44 pm

Sweating problems can go away with proper management of the treatment plan from a doctor. Primary focal hyperhidrosis is curable.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 11:38 am

Thank you, I will try to see what I can find. Anti-persperant sounds good, maybe I'll try that.

I also sweat at night, like when I wake up my back is soaking and so are the sheets. I sleep naked with barely any duvet over me, and I keep the fan on. But I don't open the window all night because the bedroom is downstairs and I feel more secure if it's closed when I'm asleep.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 12:26 pm

I have night sweats too. I sometimes have to get up and change my t-shirt. It's a hormonal issue for me. Only happens just before my period.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 8:27 am

I can understand your situation because I would sweat like crazy when I would abuse cough medicine to get high. I was always dosing so therefore I always sweated like crazy amounts. It was truly noticable and I had to come up with some lame excuses for it, oh well....that was my own stupidity.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 10:45 pm

I feel your pain. I have always sweated very easily. On hot humid days, which I hate, I sweat profusely with soaked clothing at the least bit of exertion. I also have night sweats. My sweat stains the sheets. Yuck. I use a deodorant stone. I don't like chemicals so I don't use an antiperspirant. I wear a t shirt under my shirts always.

I usually don't have B.O. unless I'm working hard outside all day, then I don't care. I have dabbed a few drops of lemongrass or bergamot essential oil on the armpit areas of my sportcoats I have to wear sometimes and that masks the odor if there is any. I will NOT wear cologne. I hate smelling them.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2018, 9:57 am

Rub some coconut oil mixed with baking soda on your arm pits after a shower and you can go days and not smell. I have chronic urticaria and cant use deodorant anymore but this method works far better. This still allows you to sweat but you won't smell because the baking soda kills the bacteria responsible for BO.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 4:21 am

It just got frustrating when even fresh sweat smelt like BO. I had to change my T-shirt every day, even on cold days when I haven't gone out or anything. So I had more laundry to do.

I've brought an antiperspirant and it has worked wonders, even during the heatwave. I've not smelt BO once. The only thing is, after I put it on before bed it makes my armpits itch like anything. But it was rather expensive to buy so I want to use it up rather than stop using it.
I could try some natural or home remedies to help with the BO problem, like the above poster suggested because it might not irritate my armpits so much.

Pjscrab
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2018, 4:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
It just got frustrating when even fresh sweat smelt like BO. I had to change my T-shirt every day, even on cold days when I haven't gone out or anything. So I had more laundry to do.

I've brought an antiperspirant and it has worked wonders, even during the heatwave. I've not smelt BO once. The only thing is, after I put it on before bed it makes my armpits itch like anything. But it was rather expensive to buy so I want to use it up rather than stop using it.
I could try some natural or home remedies to help with the BO problem, like the above poster suggested because it might not irritate my armpits so much.

I think that’s the common side effect of an antiperspirant. I keep scratching myself a lot when I use it. I have the issue when on my cycle. I usually run home to shower if I notice B.O. but my workplace is very cold most days. I sweat in summer when I walk out. So I end up leaving after lunch to go shower and reconnect from home.

Your neurodiverse score: 107/200
Your neurotypical score: 135/200

You seem to have both ND and NT traits.