iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 3:45 pm

Quote:
Promise(R) Brand of soft spreads,
Endorsed by
9 out of 10 Cardiologists

9 out of 10 is a bit high and cardiologists are not biochemists. What do you think?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

29 Feb 2008, 3:57 pm

Be skeptical of everything like that. It's all marketing. They probably tied up the cardiologists and threatened to kidnap their puppies anyhow. :P

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:01 pm

It doesn't specify how many Cardiologists they asked. What if they only asked 10?

It doesn't specify anything else about them other than "Cardiologists". What if it is really "Endorsed by 9 out of 10 Cardiologists we payed to endorse it".

Also how ever many they asked who is to say they were all human cardiologists? "Endorsed by 9 out of 10 *cough-animal-cough* Cardiologists".

And lastly not all "Cardiologists" are created equal. "Endorsed by 9 out of 10 Mail Correspondence Course certified Cardiologists".

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 4:28 pm

Well...have you noticed that ALL the advertisements for Lipitor ...with Dr. Jarvik, the creator of the artificial heart, have suddenly disappeared from television? We don't get to hear how Dr. Jarvik changed his college major after his father had a heart attack and how it influenced his decision to become a doctor...just before Dr. Jarvik takes a jog with his grown son.

Earlier in the week, the drug company Pfizer pulled all the ads with Dr. Jarvik pushing Lipitor...apparently, the Senate House
Committee believed such ads was unethical...

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 5:47 pm

You would nor believe the trouble they went to to find the right 9 cardiologists!

V001
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2008, 11:14 am

First off you would do better with plain butter taste wise, and it cost less . What does the proof say on this ? Only thing they could tell you is i have seen clots no idea how someone got them. And maybe as a part of the studying to be a cardiologist they were told what types of fats are better and some not are not so good ? shugs :?

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2008, 7:15 am

If it's a table spread, avoid it like the plague and ignore the cardiologists - they're not biochemists and they're probably sailing the Bahamas on a luxury yacht courtesy of the people who paid them to endorse their product!!

Seriously, butter is the only thing you should be using as butter. The rest = noxious chemicals aplenty. Fat does NOT necessarily make you fat - you NEED fat, so just go with butter. If you're on a dairy-free diet then toughen up and don't use anything at all, or find a rice-milk alternative, or goats-milk butter or something.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 8:51 pm

i've heard spreads made from vegetable oil are healthy, they don't contain the hydrogenated oils that margarine has (i believe they're all unsaturated, but i can't remember). i don't remember where i heard this so don't quote me on it. i use butter, it tastes good, i don't use a lot, and i'm in great shape and exercise a lot so i figure it's fine.