Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jcfay
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2016, 11:02 am

Other than meds, which have been tremendously helpful in my situation (also with my anxiety - but the right meds are key, so you may need to try new ones, and at increased dosages), a good therapist has also been a life saver. I've had a number of therapists, and many of them have been just ok, and some have been absolutely horrible. You didn't mention if you're doing any kind of therapy, but it has really helped me see through my depression and anxiety and has helped me understand and make some sense out of things. It helps me be happier, but I certainly agree with many of the other things mentioned here. For me, exercise, and intense exercise in particular, is great. It releases endorphins, breaks my thinking cycles, and if done regularly it's much easier to do (starting is always the hardest).

But I think it varies from person to person. The great news is there are many things that can help. But it can be challenging to get that help that one needs. And finally, grief is a normal part of life. But for those of us with depression, it can tip the scales and really drop our mood to the point where we need additional help. Reach out, get some additional help. And hang in there.

lobstercowboy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2016, 1:49 am

Dataunit wrote:
There's a really good book, called 'The Antidote' by Oliver Burkeman, that helped me through depression.

Happiness For People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking

Lol, that sounds like the perfect book. I'm going to download it, thanks for the suggestion.

+1 on exercise. A bit of intense sweaty workout is like a sauna or hot tub and keep active throughout the day.

Also eating healthy: plenty of greens, lean meats. Stay away from processed salty, sugary foods.