Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 3:55 am

Guy Incognito wrote:
Thanks, I will give it a look. I obsess about my body fat percentage and base my meals around my basal metabolic rate, so that might be a no go. How much weight gain did you see? I was a very fat kid, so I keep my bfr in the 11%-13% category depending on what I'm doing or if I'm injured.

Anti-Depressants can also cause weight gain if they have histamine properties. It tampers with the metabolism. Wellbutrin has none, and is the best choice when there are concerns about weight.

Well, my waist measurement went up two inches this year, which is not a complete disaster but not great either. It's different for everyone, though.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2019, 4:32 pm

I use Prazosin at night for three things - 1. Sleep 2. Eliminating nightmares (related to PTSD) and 3. Reducing high blood pressure. I've been taking it for almost a year, and so far, no side effects.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2019, 7:39 am

I take quetiapine - Ketrel - from half to whole 25mg pill. It ensures continuus, restful sleep.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2020, 6:57 pm

I currently take Trazodone 25-50 mg a night. 50 mg leaves me a bit groggy the next day, but 25 mg isn't always enough. It's not the greatest sleep aid, but has less side effects and problems than other stuff I've tried, and is better than nothing. What I've tried so far:
Imipramine - great for sleep, but I got tired of the side effects
Temazepam - great for sleep but potentially addictive and docs don't want to prescribe it long term
Ambien - made me way too forgetful the next day and had a bad rebound effect
Supplements (such as melatonin or valerian) - no effect at all
Over the counter sleep aids like Diphenhydramine - made my insomnia even worse

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 6:59 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I use Prazosin at night for three things - 1. Sleep 2. Eliminating nightmares (related to PTSD) and 3. Reducing high blood pressure. I've been taking it for almost a year, and so far, no side effects.

Does it help with the nightmares?

I was thinking about talking to my doctor about this.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm

I've been taking Prazosin for ten years for CPTSD. It's not considered a sedative for sleep onset, but it promotes better sleep by stopping traumatic nightmares once people fall asleep. I still have nightmares and a slew of sleep disorders, but I'm sure I'd be much worse without it. Studies are mixed on its efficacy for PTSD treatment, and many people respond better to lower doses if at all. It works in conjunction with three other medications to control my blood pressure, post-stroke.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

01 Jan 2020, 9:03 pm

Rozerem/Ramelteon has an effect on the melatonin receptors & is used to help people sleep long term. I never tried it thou but I'm a little interested in it cuz my girlfreind has major problems sleeping & has tried various meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 12:49 pm

Remeron is really sedating but it will cause weight gain, Seroquel is sedating as well and will also cause weight gain. Lunesta, or Ambien don't cause weight gain, don't leave you feeling hung over(they only last 7-8 hours) but can cause dependence. I prefer Ambien. If you build a tolerance to it you can always just switch to Lunesta, and go back and forth between the two every few months. You should be able to go on like this indefinitely. An added bonus is that Ambien has lesser known strong pain killing properties to it so it will help is pain is an issue for you falling/staying asleep.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:44 pm

I was horribly sick on Trazadone, but I second Noca. Ambien works really well for me. I've taken it with my Prazosin for about two years with no side effects. I can get about six hours of sleep when I take it, as opposed to about 3-4 without it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:28 pm

I can’t take Ambien. I was one of those who had waking dreams/hallucinations while I was on it. It was really weird.

Everyone is different, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:52 pm

Before Ambien, I took something called Zopiclone. If I remember correctly it made me fall asleep pretty quickly but I woke up too soon. Perhaps it was the other way round. Most sleep meds are either geared toward onset or duration, but not both. Quetiapine was wayyy too strong for me, even if I took a quarter of the lowest dose.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 9:08 pm

My girlfriend tried Ambien 2wice & she felt hung-over the next day & her mental health was worse that day. I was prescribed Ambien years ago cuz I was taking a steroid med for my skin eczema & the steroid med can make it hard for me to sleep. I just took Ambien the week or so I was on the steroid & I don't remember having problems. My current doc said that Ambien can cause people to sleepwalk & do things while they're asleep that they don't remember. I heard some news stories about that as well. I slept-walked 1ce when I was switching my Trazadone to Wellbutrin. I have read that Trazadone can reduce sleepwalking. I ready that Zopiclone is similar to Lunesta & I've taken Zopiclone a few times. Zopiclone does help me fall asleep a little but sometimes it's not strong enough. I'd like to try Halcion/Triazolam for when I'm traveling & visiting my family. It's a benzodiazepine that's used to treat things like jet-lag but I doubt my doc would prescribe it to me. She prescribed me melatonin 1ce & I slept horrible & felt hung-over all day the next day the one time I tried it.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 1:59 pm

nick007 wrote:
My girlfriend tried Ambien 2wice & she felt hung-over the next day & her mental health was worse that day. I was prescribed Ambien years ago cuz I was taking a steroid med for my skin eczema & the steroid med can make it hard for me to sleep. I just took Ambien the week or so I was on the steroid & I don't remember having problems. My current doc said that Ambien can cause people to sleepwalk & do things while they're asleep that they don't remember. I heard some news stories about that as well. I slept-walked 1ce when I was switching my Trazadone to Wellbutrin. I have read that Trazadone can reduce sleepwalking. I ready that Zopiclone is similar to Lunesta & I've taken Zopiclone a few times. Zopiclone does help me fall asleep a little but sometimes it's not strong enough. I'd like to try Halcion/Triazolam for when I'm traveling & visiting my family. It's a benzodiazepine that's used to treat things like jet-lag but I doubt my doc would prescribe it to me. She prescribed me melatonin 1ce & I slept horrible & felt hung-over all day the next day the one time I tried it.

Can't you just try a higher dose of Zopiclone? Dosing goes up to 15mg a day.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm

Noca wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Can't you just try a higher dose of Zopiclone? Dosing goes up to 15mg a day.
I thought the 7.5mg was the only strength. I only have a few of those pills left thou & I don't think I can get anymore. Thankfully I haven't needed meds to help fall asleep in a while. However my girlfriend notices I haven't been sleeping well the last few weeks. I've been jerking in my sleep a lot & talking some too. I toss & turn a lot & have been waking up with a sore back probably from how I sleep. I kinda wonder if this is something like REM Sleep Behavior Disorder but not sure. I have a regular check in appointment with my doc in the next couple days so I plan to discuss this. I suspect I need a sleep study. Maybe going back on Trazadone will help in the meantime or taking Klonopin but IDK. I'll talk to my doc before trying anything.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2020, 8:54 am

I have been experimenting with Melatonin to help me with sleep.

Also, I have used Calms Forte with great success.

I don't buy into the whole homeopathic thing, but this stuff worked for me:
https://www.hylands.com/products/hyland ... 3%A9%C2%AE

They sell that stuff on Amazon.

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2020, 9:10 am

FletcherArrow wrote:
I have been experimenting with Melatonin to help me with sleep.

Also, I have used Calms Forte with great success.

I don't buy into the whole homeopathic thing, but this stuff worked for me:
https://www.hylands.com/products/hyland ... 3%A9%C2%AE

They sell that stuff on Amazon.

Melatonin works for me also. 10mg x2 gummies.