Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 9:01 pm

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder just for exercise. I would at least be a lot fitter.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 9:19 pm

Okay, a quick word on schizophrenia, okay? You seriously don't want the kind of schizophrenia that causes your brain to shrink up like a prune. It's got to be the suckiest mental disease possible. Low functioning autism is a walk in the park by comparison. It's really the most terrible thing that can possibly happen to your brain. It isn't fun in any possible sense of the word.

That said, order me up a straight shot of your finest schizoid personality disorder, and give me plenty of books to read.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2007, 11:08 pm

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder just for exercise. I would at least be a lot fitter.

I don't understand this one. I have OCD and I don't get any more exercise than most people do.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 11:34 pm

Eire wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:

I don't understand this one. I have OCD and I don't get any more exercise than most people do.
I think that Eire meant something else.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2007, 11:41 pm

Griff wrote:
Eire wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:

What do you mean I "meant something else"?

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

Eire wrote:
Griff wrote:
Eire wrote:
paulsinnerchild wrote:

What do you mean I "meant something else"?
Ooops. Sorry. I meant the other poster. This is why I don't bother with names usually. They're all confusion, no fun. I think that paulsinnerchild meant being obsessive-compulsive just over exercise and fitness. I think there may actually be a disorder for that, also. There are plenty of fitness-obsessed people out there for there to be such a thing.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 11:56 pm

Some OCD'ers cannot restist running back to that treadmill, that rowing machine or that exercise bike, like it is a drug they must score on. I could do with that co-morbid. At least it should be good for my health.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2007, 12:03 am

paulsinnerchild wrote:
Some OCD'ers cannot restist running back to that treadmill, that rowing machine or that exercise bike, like it is a drug they must score on. I could do with that co-morbid. At least it should be good for my health.

I've heard of people doing that sort of thing as part of an eating disorder.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 12:11 am

PISS OUT MY ASS

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 2:23 pm

be careful what you wish for !

I one heard a NT complain and wish that they had a super photographic memory, I told them to be careful what you wish for. You could end up with a photographic memory packed with rubbish (childrens cartoons) and nasty things such as breaking up with your partner.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 3:51 pm

WaterCarrier wrote:
Excuse me for saying so - but this is ridiculous. Why would anyone wish another disorder on themselves? You know there's a saying: *Thank God I don't have anyone else's problems*. There's a lot of sense in that. Think about it.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 7:02 pm

What... why would anyone want comorbids like bipolar, schizoaffective etc? I've got both of those, plus auty, and it's no picnic. Being bipolar is actually more damaging in many ways than being autistic. Why would anyone want to run the risk of either being suicidally depressed, or so manic that you can't sleep, eat, hold a conversation... so delusional that you think you're being spied on, or that people are controlling your thoughts and behaviour. Waking up in a state of sanity one day and coming to terms with the fact that you ran up thousands of pounds of debt, there are bailiffs at your door, and your landlady is trying to kick you out of your house because the neighbours have all noticed that you're "weird." Knowing that you have to rely on medication for the rest of your life to stop you going off on one, and that despite the side effects you can't afford to risk coming off the stuff.

You DON'T want that. I hate it when people romanticise mental illness. It's not something to be desired or emulated... it's appalling.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 12:08 am

I just want manic episodes :P

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 12:10 am

Woodpecker wrote:
be careful what you wish for !

I one heard a NT complain and wish that they had a super photographic memory, I told them to be careful what you wish for. You could end up with a photographic memory packed with rubbish (childrens cartoons) and nasty things such as breaking up with your partner.

That would be OCD plus a photographic memory. Not a good combination.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 12:27 am

You shouldn't want a disorder on yourself. As one person said that schizophrenia is the worst mental disorder known to mankind. It can kill you because of delusions or the command hallucinations telling you to hurt or kill yourself. I have experienced schizoaffective disorder. For the bipolar portion I do enjoy the hypomanic episodes, I am high in the sky I talk super fast and I am hyper-productive with my art producing several detailed pictures a day and thinking I am the next big thing. The worst part is when reality sets in, you would crash into a horrible depression in which you wish you were dead (suicidal ideation.) Being suicidal and hopeless is bad for you of course. Not good at all, I have been there many times in my entire life.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 2:23 am

x_amount_of_words wrote:
I just want manic episodes :P
Manic episodes aren't the way they're cracked up to be. Sometimes they can feel positive, but even then they have long term consequences that you have to live with for years after the incident.

OK, so imagine this. You start off feeling very positive, full of energy and buzz, and you're very creative. As time goes on you sleep less and less, you find it harder to stop talking, and you can tell that people are getting annoyed with you. You start to feel as though you're being persecuted because you're on a special mission... you're not sure what that mission is, and it keeps you up nights worrying about it. You have about four hours sleep maximum at night, for months, some nights not sleeping at all. Because you're sleeping so little you start seeing and hearing things when you're awake. To begin with you accept they might be hallucinations, but you start to believe that the things you see and hear are really there, are bringing you messages or signs. You try to keep this to yourself at first, because you don't want people to think you're crazy. But that stops mattering as time goes on and you finally realise what your special mission is... God wants you to do something for Him (doesn't matter what, and I can't quite remember what I was thinking by this point.) As a result you start spending money to achieve this mission. The end of the world is well and truly nigh, and the sense of imminent disaster drives you to give thousands that you can't afford to charity, and random strangers, though you also buy things on impulse that you'll never use. Because the world is ending soon you take out a loan to facilitate your spending - after all, you'll never have to pay it back before the world ends. You get through money that should have provided you with security for years in a matter of months. You alienate friends and family by going on about your delusion... you're not able to hide it anymore.

Then, one day, you finally get a decent night's sleep... You sleep for maybe twelve hours, and wake up feeling rested for the first time in months. You sit up, and it begins to dawn on you that you've spent every penny you had, you're in debt up to your eyeballs, your brother won't answer the phone when you ring, the neighbours are looking at you like you're a pariah, there's no food in the house, the mess has piled up so much you have to climb over the bin bags to reach the kitchen sink, which is blocked with something completely unidentifiable, you haven't washed your hair in months, and you smell so ripe the cat won't even come near you.

Is it any wonder after an incident like this (the financial consequences of which will take me years to pay back) that people get depressed?

And, this being a not atypical example of mania, let me ask again... why would you want it?