Page 3 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 3:37 am

mgran wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
I just want manic episodes :P
Manic episodes aren't the way they're cracked up to be. Sometimes they can feel positive, but even then they have long term consequences that you have to live with for years after the incident.

OK, so imagine this. You start off feeling very positive, full of energy and buzz, and you're very creative. As time goes on you sleep less and less, you find it harder to stop talking, and you can tell that people are getting annoyed with you. You start to feel as though you're being persecuted because you're on a special mission... you're not sure what that mission is, and it keeps you up nights worrying about it. You have about four hours sleep maximum at night, for months, some nights not sleeping at all. Because you're sleeping so little you start seeing and hearing things when you're awake. To begin with you accept they might be hallucinations, but you start to believe that the things you see and hear are really there, are bringing you messages or signs. You try to keep this to yourself at first, because you don't want people to think you're crazy. But that stops mattering as time goes on and you finally realise what your special mission is... God wants you to do something for Him (doesn't matter what, and I can't quite remember what I was thinking by this point.) As a result you start spending money to achieve this mission. The end of the world is well and truly nigh, and the sense of imminent disaster drives you to give thousands that you can't afford to charity, and random strangers, though you also buy things on impulse that you'll never use. Because the world is ending soon you take out a loan to facilitate your spending - after all, you'll never have to pay it back before the world ends. You get through money that should have provided you with security for years in a matter of months. You alienate friends and family by going on about your delusion... you're not able to hide it anymore.

Then, one day, you finally get a decent night's sleep... You sleep for maybe twelve hours, and wake up feeling rested for the first time in months. You sit up, and it begins to dawn on you that you've spent every penny you had, you're in debt up to your eyeballs, your brother won't answer the phone when you ring, the neighbours are looking at you like you're a pariah, there's no food in the house, the mess has piled up so much you have to climb over the bin bags to reach the kitchen sink, which is blocked with something completely unidentifiable, you haven't washed your hair in months, and you smell so ripe the cat won't even come near you.

Is it any wonder after an incident like this (the financial consequences of which will take me years to pay back) that people get depressed?

And, this being a not atypical example of mania, let me ask again... why would you want it?

It sounds a lot better than being depressed. I'm pretty sure I've experienced this...but more mildly.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 4:09 am

It is not a lot better than being depressed, it's just different. I've been both, so I do know what I'm talking about. Seriously, did I not get across the level of fear, paranoia and delusion I was suffering from? How is being constantly driven and terrified, hallucinatory, nauseous with sleep deprivation, your brain screaming at you and never shutting up, better than being depressed? I'm actually less a danger to myself and others when I'm depressed, though thankfully, with medication, I'm finally discovering a new kind of normal.

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2010, 7:19 am

I'm fine with being me ... whatever that is.

I'd love to be this one kid I know, but just for like a week. I'm not sure what the heck was with him. My best guess would be gifted with mild ADHD. He was a character. We got along pretty well.

I felt sorry for the adults though. I met him at camp, so it was one quite loud kid with probable mild undxed AS (me), one kid who probably had mild ADHD or something, and one who was just plain hyper and jumpy.

Yes K, I am talking about J and A from camp.

Call me Trish, please.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 12:00 pm

I wish I were a savant. Enough said.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 3:23 pm

Well....looks like we've got it covered 8) BUT - - Any Aspie worth his/her salt needs <drum roll> Very Mild Super Powers!

Behold:

[youtube]http://noolmusic.com/funnyordie/david_odoherty_has_very_mild_superpowers_from_just_for_laughs.php[/youtube]

Top that, DSM V

Earning that Dx the hard way 8)

EDIT: Drat! My (very mild) Aspie Super Powers have failed me - - the vid did not embed! Dang it. Just watch via the link.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2010, 3:41 pm

I thought that I was hyperlexic, but I don't really have any of the other symptoms. I guess I just have a high vocabulary.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2010, 1:27 pm

I notice nobody wants dyspraxia, because it has no positives, apart from the ones you also get with AS. Saying that, it's much, much easier to live with than schizophrenia. I had one, um, synthetically induced episode of that once...and I wouldn't wish it on anyone in the world.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2010, 8:55 am

I would trade schizoaffective for AS actually. The meds... going nuts without the meds... etc...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Oct 2010, 3:10 pm

Hyperlexia - high vocabulary.
Bipolar II - already HAVE major, paranoid and/or delusive depressed episodes. I WANT HYPOMANIA!
A special synthesis, that allows me to SEE words. Since my memory is almost completely photographic, I'll finally be able to remember verbal information - I'll SEE the words in my mind! :colors:
Savant Syndrome - I ALREADY suck at most things. I want to be super good at the only things I'm actually GOOD at!! !:cry:
(by good I don't mean my super-powerful talent of whining about my life in forums. ><)

Woodpecker wrote:
be careful what you wish for !

I one heard a NT complain and wish that they had a super photographic memory, I told them to be careful what you wish for. You could end up with a photographic memory packed with rubbish (childrens cartoons) and nasty things such as breaking up with your partner.

My memory, and thinking, are mostly photographic. Noting special except the fact that it kills time to think and remember, and it's amusting to think in pictures about thinking in pictures. :roll:

Oh, and it IS filled with f****d up things. For example, I can see in my mind exactly where my inferiority complex started counsciously, where my ex dumped me, where my gym teacher humilliated me every time (more than 4 pics in my mind, that makes me feel weak. :( )

Sorry for whining about the so-called super power THEY want. :(

(Sorry, I'm a big, fat whiner. ><)

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart:

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2010, 8:43 am

x_amount_of_words wrote:
I just want manic episodes :P

One can have Bipolar Disorder I without having a major depressive episode; only a manic episode is required (though Bipolar without the depression is very uncommon). I think that a 'hypomanic' episode would be preferable to a full-on 'manic' episode, however.
You can also have a hypomanic episode without actually having Bipolar Disorder.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 8:49 am

League_Girl wrote:
I wish I were a savant. Enough said.

This.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2010, 9:22 am

I would want to be a savant, that would be awesome.

WhiteRaven_214
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Oct 2010, 10:04 pm

Excuse my presumptuousness, but I feel sick seeing this thread. :(

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factitious_Disorder

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 1:21 pm

You want to fake symptoms for attention? That wouldn't be good because after awhile no one will believe you. I think it is a form of lying. Or do you mean that people who WANT certain disorders would be classified as such because you believe that they would fake it? I wouldn't wish any disorder on anyone and of course I don't want any myself. Since I already have bipolar (or more accurately schizoaffective) I do admit I enjoy the hypomanic episodes because it actually improves my life but when reality sets in is where its difficult.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2010, 1:53 pm

WhiteRaven_214 wrote:
Excuse my presumptuousness, but I feel sick seeing this thread. :(

Why? 8O

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart: