Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Cindy246
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2012, 2:16 pm

My son was diagnosed with OCD about 3 years ago. He has currently been on Sertraline, generic zoloft for just over a year. The prior 2 years he was on a few other meds but I guess they weren't really working. Anyway, from what I understood, after a while they wean you off your meds, but it appears as if the doctor doesn't have that planned anytime soon. Does this sound right or am I mistaken?

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 3:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm on meds for (GAD and OCD) and have been on for about four years. As far as I know weaning off is basically done when the doctor feels you can function normally without the aid of meds. That depends on the individual, sometimes it may happen very quickly, other times it may take longer. You can bring this issue up with your doc, but usually they feel that Cognitive behavioural therapy is necessary especially with anxiety based illnesses. how old is your son?

godoftruemercy
Toucan
Toucan

06 May 2012, 1:22 am

They really don't wean you off your meds unless cognitive behavioral therapy can control the rituals. Sorry to tell you this, but OCD is a lifetime thing, not episodic.

BTW, if your doc hasn't rec'd therapy for OCD, he's a crackpot.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

11 May 2012, 4:37 pm

godoftruemercy wrote:
They really don't wean you off your meds unless cognitive behavioral therapy can control the rituals. Sorry to tell you this, but OCD is a lifetime thing, not episodic.

BTW, if your doc hasn't rec'd therapy for OCD, he's a crackpot.

+1
How old is your son OP? If he's a kid or teen & dealing with school stuff; the doc may want to leave him on medication till things in his life are less stressful, more stable & his hormones are more balanced. BTW I started two medications a while back for OCD & anxiety & I'll probably stay on them till my life situation changes, I get more confident & feel more capable of handling things. I'm doing a lot better than i was before so I don't want to risk losing that improvement by going off them any time soon.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition