Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Maxima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2013, 7:51 am

I was diagnosed with AS about a year ago, but now they are thinking that I might actually have Schizotypal PD. I do think I have Schizotypal, but I feel like it leaves out certain problems that AS covers (ie. sensory issues, stimming, processing problems). I know that part of the criteria for SPD is that you cannot have AS, but I've heard that some doctors are willing to diagnose someone with both. Is anyone here diagnosed with both?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:14 pm

You can have both; it's just that there have to be at least some schizotypal symptoms that can't also be explained by the Asperger's. I was diagnosed with both by the same doctor. At 13, I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and at 14 I was diagnosed with schizotypal, due to what appeared to be fragmented overvalued ideas to the doctor. However, the schizotypal diagnosis was likely incorrect, because it turns out in restrospect I was having a full-blown psychotic episode that lasted nearly 2 months during that period--I had been very guarded about what I was thinking.

Nevertheless, that is the sort of case where you could be diagnosed with both.

EDIT: Also, as a schizophrenia spectrum condition, schizotypal can have sensory issues and processing problems as well. In fact, sensory issues and processing problems I believe are considered to be some of the core underlying issues in people on the schizophrenia spectrum.