Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

FallenIcarus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

Hello everyone!! ! I was just wondering what this could be and if it's common.
Recently I've been quite bad mentally (in fact the worst I've ever been), and there are times that I just can't speak. I have major and minor depression, PTSD, and anxiety.
It's like someone has clogged something down my throat and I just can't talk besides noises from deep in my throat (kinda babbling noises I guess). I'm not entirely sure what makes this happen or not.
I think this is the right forum for it... I think. I have no idea if I have autism or not and it could be related to that, all I remember is when they sent me to get tested the doctor was confused and said he was uncertain if I had it or not.
All I know at the moment, is this sudden inability to speak is stressing out everyone around me when it happens. I'm feeling at this stage I might as well learn sign language. Please help if you can :D

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm

As of when I'm writing this I haven't spoken to anyone in over an hour, and my disorders are autism, ADD, and GAD. I am currently at a family reunion, so that's really saying something. I rarely have moments where I actually can't speak, although I regularly just don't want to speak and I prefer typing over speaking.

My experience aside, this is indeed a rather common autism thing.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 9:55 am

I go through periods of time where I can't speak too. During those, I will usually communicate by writing what I need to say down, but I physically will feel unable to talk and I get really frustrated when it happens.

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2016, 10:25 am

I have had circumstances during extreme anxiety where I have been unable to force words out. I believe it's called selective mutism. I'm not sure if that's what you are describing? In my case I am able to talk again once my anxiety has subsided. I have had times where people have been angry and feel like I am refusing to answer them and literally screaming at me "Speak! Speak!" which is probably the worst thing to do if they wanted a response lol.