Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Mar 2020, 2:14 pm

Hi, just checking in if someone knows a solution to this or offer some advice,

After a really stessful period I fell into depression. Because of this I refused to do all of my exams the day they started last semester. I talked to the school counselor and he said I can skip those subjects this year but then I have to do them all extra next year. I have a really hard study program (Forensic Science) and I don't think I can handle that extra load. I've also had a hard life until now in my eyes and healing from it is going to take more then a year.

I just don't see a way for it to end any other way then a long trip on a downward spiral.
Also my depression is strongly study related and anything going wrong with my study, self inflicted or not, will make my depression really really bad. So getting out of the study is sure to ruin me.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 7:49 pm

Tutoring

Counseling

Psychiatrist

Change major

Take fewer units

Study group

Clif notes

MissMause
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2020, 3:13 am

You need to decide if Forensic Science is what you truly want to do. Just because it’s college, and you have a lot to learn, doesn’t mean it will necessarily be a walk in the park when you get in the field and start doing it. You need to find a passion for a career and have a reason to follow it and not give up. In example, I’m studying to be an exotic veterinarian, I have Bipolar 2, anxiety disorder, PTSD from multiple forms of abuse as a child and early teen, and survivor of cancer twice. The only thing that has ever brought me comfort in the world is animals, and seeing how people treat them absolutely disgusts me, they deserve so much more, and I want to be the one that gives them a voice and protects them. I started school, and yes it’s terrifying and some days it brings me down a lot, but I remember why I want to do school; animals. I knock myself out of my “woe is me” attitude and get more determined to get school over with so I can live out my dream.
You don’t have to finish school in 4 years, you can take as much or as little time as you need. If you need to take fewer classes a semester, then do it. You can talk to your professors and school about getting some time extensions on tests or projects or whatever you need, but you have to hold yourself responsible as well. A professor can help you, but you have to meet them halfway and prove you are dedicated to doing this. There’s no reason for them to baby anyone.
Seek out a psychiatrist to get some correct medications if you believe they may help. It’s also very important to have someone to talk to, wether it’s a psychotherapist or a friend(they need to be unbiased though and be able to be brutally honest and tell you if you’re in the wrong).
I don’t mean to be harsh, I really do understand where you’re coming from, but you have to make yourself stronger than being a victim of the world and things that have happened to you. Take each thing and find a way that it has made you stronger as a person. Learn from the shite that has happened and spit back at it.