Coming out to a very judgmental grandfather?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

HopefulFlower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2013, 5:00 pm

Whom you only see on Easter and Thanksgiving and occasionally Christmas. This weekend was his birthday and I didn't do it so that opportunity is gone. The closest now is Thanksgiving.... aka my 18th birthday celebration. He is very judgmental (Hates all that is different from the bible word for word and Christianity. When I once wanted to be Catholic-not anymore-he wasn't happy but he told me it was better than becoming.... well what he said was a bad thing to say so I'm not gonna say it). But he has his good points-he really does. At least with his grandkids he does.

Now how do I come out to him? What should I say? At what moment? Is this even the right time at all? I have no clue how I should do this

Usually when we get together for thanksgiving/my bday we just sit and watch TV and talk for a while, then we eat dinner, then we open my cards w/ cash, and then we talk a little more and then we leave. We could always leave sooner if necessary.

I know I'm thinking ahead. I do that. It's just got reminded because of his birthday celebration the other day and now I can't get it off my mind.

P.S.

My family tends to bring their girlfriends/boyfriends to meet everyone all the time that's like a thing. Plus I don't want to hide it. I need to be proud of who I am. That's why I feel that he needs to know the truth.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 5:08 pm

For my part, I would say why bother, he's not going to live too much longer anyway. But you should go to the get together with your girlfriend and introduce her as your girlfriend. Keep it simple.

ParaSait
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm

Only tell him if he really needs to know (for example, you have gotten yourself a girlfriend). If you don't see him so often, I wouldn't mention it to him, don't like actively cover it up and all that either, just be normal.
No matter what the reason is, it's never fun to be in a clash with a family member...

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2013, 7:43 am

HopefulFlower wrote:

Now how do I come out to him? What should I say? At what moment? Is this even the right time at all? I have no clue how I should do this

My family tends to bring their girlfriends/boyfriends to meet everyone all the time that's like a thing. Plus I don't want to hide it. I need to be proud of who I am. That's why I feel that he needs to know the truth.

There a few possibles here.
Will you grandfather 'merely' be upset by your coming out, or would he make an issue of it?
If he would make an issue, don't come out on your 18th, as he could ruin YOUR day and take pleasure in it..

Are you out to the rest of your family and are they OK with it?
If they are, family pressure may help your case. If not you may be in for a hard time.

Not subtle, but how old is he? and is he in good health?
If you know (for certain) that his time is limited, it may be better to leave it.
If he is in good health then the issue will have to be addressed at some point.

Try, if you can, to introduce the subject of gay people in general, particularly public figures with a good reputation and see what he says to judge his likely reaction..

d057
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:00 am

From my own experiences and experiences from gay people in my family, I say don't even bother. A few years ago, my first cousin was targeted by very judgmental and hateful YouTube comments by our second cousin. (His mom is a very Conservative Christian and his family is also very wealthy.) He continuously stated how he was "praying for him to change" and said how he (my first cousin) "owed our family an apology for being queer." He went on and on about how gays are "not accepted in heaven and then even mentioned my mother in the names of people he supposedly owed an apology to. Last time I checked, my mother does not care about the fact that a man happens to be attracted to men or a woman happens to be attracted to women.

I only see these people once every two or three years when we go to reunions. If they do say anything about my sexuality, I would be happy to give them two middle fingers and walk away. I am trying to get over the fact that people are not going to embrace the rainbow flag with love and acceptance. It is sad, but that is still the world we live in.

straightfairy wrote:
HopefulFlower wrote:

There a few possibles here.
Will you grandfather 'merely' be upset by your coming out, or would he make an issue of it?
If he would make an issue, don't come out on your 18th, as he could ruin YOUR day and take pleasure in it..

Are you out to the rest of your family and are they OK with it?
If they are, family pressure may help your case. If not you may be in for a hard time.

Not subtle, but how old is he? and is he in good health?
If you know (for certain) that his time is limited, it may be better to leave it.
If he is in good health then the issue will have to be addressed at some point.

Try, if you can, to introduce the subject of gay people in general, particularly public figures with a good reputation and see what he says to judge his likely reaction..

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:13 pm

I kept it to myself until I had a gf I could see materialize into something long term (we got married last year). Then, my family had a face to process my words with. They got to know "her" rather than the label itself. They like her, grandparents and all, so I didn't have any issues at all.

Of course, that's my story.
Do you NEED to tell him at this point? Anyone special in your life?