Page 6 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2014, 9:25 am

badgerface wrote:
I think that names like 'f****t' mainly just serve to display the ignorance and low intelligence of the person using them.

I don't disagree with your point about things being offensive in context. but in the context of this and every discussion equating 'low iq' with bigot, is just offensive to people with low iqs (i myself have an iq of around 55 and i am not a bigot, i have many friends who are low iq and none of them are bigots, though i am sure that there are low iq people who are bigots just as there are high iq bigots). Ignorance is not indicative of a low iq its indicative of an unwillingness to learn about the lived realities of other people instead of biased stereotyping.

i think this kind of statement is especially offensive in the context of wrongplanet which is supposed to be a support site for autistic people, a significant portion of which have low iqs.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2014, 9:43 am

I completely agree. You're absolutely right that ignorance and bigotry do not necessarily go hand in hand with low intelligence/low iQ. Looking at my comments, the use of the description "low intelligence" was wrong.

Ignorance and Bigotry are learnt; more often than not, someone is Homophobic or Racist due to being brought up that way, or being influenced at a young age by Racist/Homophobic Parents or in surroundings that promote and encourage this; whatever the reason, be it religious influence for example, or just plain ignorance. Some supposedly very intelligent people can display mind-blowing ignorance. I am sorry :)

Paukipaul
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2014, 9:45 am

Bigotry is not learned, it is never "UN"-learned.

Story:

I was once "seduced" by a ladyboy once. i didn't know it was a man.

The reason why I didnt like it, was:

I was totally drunk, and just didnt shove "her" away because I am polite and usually don't shove women.

"she" was very eager to load me into a taxi, which i was Sober enough to decline, to my luck.

Somehow, don't ask me how, because I was drunk, suddenly my parts were out in the open, and unspeakable sexual acts followed. Until I discoverd a penis that didnt belong to me.

Well, I felt raped. Or at least, taken advantage of. Because I didnt knew it was a man, and I do not want to have sex with a man.

That's why I am very careful now when I am out drinking on my own. (which doesnt even happen anymore)

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2014, 9:57 am

badgerface wrote:
I completely agree. You're absolutely right that ignorance and bigotry do not necessarily go hand in hand with low intelligence/low iQ. Looking at my comments, the use of the description "low intelligence" was wrong.

Ignorance and Bigotry are learnt; more often than not, someone is Homophobic or Racist due to being brought up that way, or being influenced at a young age by Racist/Homophobic Parents or in surroundings that promote and encourage this; whatever the reason, be it religious influence for example, or just plain ignorance. Some supposedly very intelligent people can display mind-blowing ignorance. I am sorry :)

thank you for appologising. i understand a lot of these statements are generally just not well thought out, so long as were all willing to talk about its good.

Paukipaul wrote:

Story:

I was totally drunk, and just didnt shove "her" away because I am polite and usually don't shove women.

"she" was very eager to load me into a taxi, which i was Sober enough to decline, to my luck.

Somehow, don't ask me how, because I was drunk, suddenly my parts were out in the open, and unspeakable sexual acts followed. Until I discoverd a penis that didnt belong to me.

Well, I felt raped. Or at least, taken advantage of. Because I didnt knew it was a man, and I do not want to have sex with a man.

That's why I am very careful now when I am out drinking on my own. (which doesnt even happen anymore)

im sorry that happened to you. sexual contact you didnt consent to is sexual assault, so thats an understandable response and i hope your getting support for the trauma that has caused you.

however your story does not have much at all to do with bigotry being learned or unlearned. also whole its understandable that you would have issues with dating trans women because of this insidence - as it is understandable that a woman raped by a non-trans man may have trouble trusting a cis man again. its not understandable or acceptable to assume all trans women rapists or suggest thats why not one should date a trans women. if it were then it would be understandable for women whoves been raped by non-trans men to suggest that no one should date them ever again. which would be thoroughly unfair to cis men.

and in any case trans women are far more likely to the be victims of sexual assault at the hands of cis men than cis men are to be at the hands of trans women.

badgerface
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2014, 10:12 am

Sorry, but bigotry and ignorance is learnt. As a Parent, you have the opportunity to teach your children how to define what is right or wrong for themselves, and how to think rationally and apply reason to determine if something should be believed or not. This also applies to any form of discrimination; whether it be based on gender, sexuality, or race. Children naturally question why something, or someone is different from what they have learnt (so far) in their lives. In fact, they do nothing but question. If you influence them to discriminate based on these factors, they learn to fear or despise someone just because of their skin colour, sexual orientation, race or any other relevant difference. This is not "hard-wired" behaviour, it is how a Parent reponds to the child's natural inquisitive questions about difference that shapes how they feel going forward in life.

Case in point; during recent debate about whether marriage should be allowed between Homosexual partners, my eldest child (at that point 8yrs old) was very confused as to why there was even any discussion, and genuinely perplexed when told that people objected to it. He just couldn't get his head around why someone would think less of someone based purely on their sexual orientation as opposed to who they were based on their behaviour and actions. The same when discussing Historical racism; he just could not understand why people of a different skin colour were persecuted so horrifically based purely on that.

Those who feel differently have been spared the decency of being taught that people are people, and it is their actions and behaviour that make them who they are, not what they look like, what gender they like or feel that they are.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

Paukipaul wrote:

Story:

Well, you *were* raped, at least if we're using the word the way it's usually used today. But I'm confused - would you have been fine with being raped if she'd been cisgender? :?

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2014, 6:27 pm

Alyosha wrote:
badgerface wrote:
I think that names like 'f****t' mainly just serve to display the ignorance and low intelligence of the person using them.

I don't disagree with your point about things being offensive in context. but in the context of this and every discussion equating 'low iq' with bigot, is just offensive to people with low iqs (i myself have an iq of around 55 and i am not a bigot, i have many friends who are low iq and none of them are bigots, though i am sure that there are low iq people who are bigots just as there are high iq bigots). Ignorance is not indicative of a low iq its indicative of an unwillingness to learn about the lived realities of other people instead of biased stereotyping.

i think this kind of statement is especially offensive in the context of wrongplanet which is supposed to be a support site for autistic people, a significant portion of which have low iqs.

That's true. I apologize as well.

virnal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2014, 9:40 pm

ForeignObject wrote:
Just Curious.

(Yes, I am one, thank you very much!) :wink:

If you wanted more responses: yes. But I consider myself pansexual.

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2014, 10:48 pm

virnal wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:
Just Curious.

How is pansexuality different from bisexuality?

Just curious :wink:

virnal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

ForeignObject wrote:
virnal wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:
Just Curious.

How is pansexuality different from bisexuality?

Just curious :wink:

Bisexuality implies you are attracted to two genders, while pansexuality you are attracted to all genders. There are more than two genders, so people who do not consider a persons gender as a factor for romantic/sexual endeavors should say pansexual so as to not perpetuate gender binary stereotype.

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2014, 7:48 pm

More than two genders?

virnal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 10:50 pm

ForeignObject wrote:
More than two genders?

Yes there are more than two genders, mtm ftm mtf intersex gender x etc. so on and so forth.

In all actuality gender is more complicated than just two instances. Even biologically like in the case of intersex individuals.

To people who do not consider gender a variable for romantic or sexuality, pansexual or panromantic are more accurate terms to use so not to further the gender binary myth

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2014, 9:28 am

virnal wrote:
ForeignObject wrote:
More than two genders?

Yes there are more than two genders, mtm ftm mtf intersex gender x etc. so on and so forth.

In all actuality gender is more complicated than just two instances. Even biologically like in the case of intersex individuals.

To people who do not consider gender a variable for romantic or sexuality, pansexual or panromantic are more accurate terms to use so not to further the gender binary myth

I see. I guess that my boyfriends more pansexual than bisexual 8) .

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of pansexual before, but now I think I'll start using it more often.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2014, 12:38 pm

Yes, don't see what difference them being transgender would make in my ability to love them.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Zwapp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2014, 1:05 pm

not directly related, but this reminds me of those:
"this [picture of female looking person] is a man, you are now gay"
just infuriates me, I mean clothing shops ad their clothes on these dummies with really nice curves, it doesnt make me..whatever the name is for someone who is into objects..

heck, even the body itself doesn't know what gender it is without checking the hormones first anyway, so someone who has undergone some heavy hormone therapy could even smell like a proper make/female.

as for the question, if she has a vagina and is a nice person she's got a chance with me.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 9:21 pm

I would, I see no issue with dating someone who identifies as female.

As for the post above me, genitals don't define your gender always.