Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 9:10 pm

Keimeren wrote:
And I would like to throw into the pot this little question

If we are all made in gods image, why is it god allows us to bite the inside of our mouths??? what all that about ??.

and nipples on men

And resembling primates, and sharing so much of their genetic makeup, and having vestigial organs, and having such a competitive nature, and speaking through the same thing that we put food into. We have remarkable brains, but other than that, we're very not amazing. Not what I'd call divine.

But who knows, I didn't make everything. Hey, by the way, that remark about biting the inside of our mouths is really hilarious.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2011, 5:39 am

jesuslittleaspie77 wrote:
Just to let you know that if your a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender person reading this that you are loved by God. Never think that your sexual orientation is dirty or a sin. It's a part of your identity, God doesn't make mistakes. You are perfect just the way you are! :D

I've used an extended version of this against people who use religion to claim that homosexuality is somehow 'evil'.

so you believe that God makes everything on earth? yes
and that absolutely everything on earth is here because God wants it to be? yes
and that God is perfect? yes
so everything on here is exactly AS God wants it to be? yes
and that God loves everything on earth? yes
So you agree that everything on earth is here because god wants it to be, and is exactly as god wants it to be, and is loved by god? yes
which includes gay people then. Oh

ceres
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

My inclination is to be condescending, and say something sarcastic about the existence of god.
But you know what? I'd rather religious people think that their god loves me than use their god's hatred of me and people like me as an excuse for injustice and oppression. At least since it seems religious institutions are here to stay.
So, you know...thanks, I guess.
I'm sure he loves you, too.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 8:12 am

its ok, I've got the Big Yin on speed dial :D

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

twix wrote:
I'm straight but the general attitude from the church regarding homosexuality was a big help to me when I couldn't quite make up my mind about religion when I was younger.

It was clearly illogical to me, and helped me decide not to bother with organised religion.

I was on an LGBT panel where we go around, sit down, and discuss our experiences as the LGBT community to people who are non-LGBT.

One person asked each person in our panel how organized religion treated them (mainly Christianity). Needless to say, each of us were treated very badly and shared our stories of discrimination and violence. And we, on the panel, are very loving and reasonable people. We just happened to be different.

It's going to get to the point that the Christian religions either accept homosexuality as something acceptable or they will loose many of their potential followers. People in a civilized society get disgusted against discrimination over something that is outside a person's control.

Scientists and sexuality researchers are finding out our brains are hardwired in a way to like the same sex.

White-Rose-Tree
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2011, 8:40 pm

Thank you for saying this. Too often, everyone either hates on LGBT people or ridicules religion (this is one of the kindest discussion threads I've seen). Well, it was my faith that made me feel accepted, as everything I am, gay and everything else. God's love is constant, regardless of what people think of you. Thank you :D

TrzkT
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

I appreciate the sentiment.
I was raised christian, by Christians, went to church, went to bible camp, I was hardcore into it, and after however many wet dreams...and so much inner turmoil... I had to accept myself and break away from it...

Its still a really difficult subject, I'm not talking to my parents much these days.

I've gotten over resenting Christianity. When people are vicious to Christians, that disgusts me as much as homophobes disgust me.
They suffer persecution too. I just wish more Christians could have this beautiful opinion on the subject of orientation.

I dunno....[can't we all just get along?]
These things don't have to be as difficult as people make them.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 5:26 pm

TrzkT wrote:
When people are vicious to Christians, that disgusts me as much as homophobes disgust me.
They suffer persecution too. I just wish more Christians could have this beautiful opinion on the subject of orientation.

i dont mean to downgrade your experience, but its just you hear more often that a gay kid was shot/beaten/stabbed because of who he is.
all christians ever seem to get is a pie in the face... (at least from what i can tell)

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2011, 8:04 am

StevieC wrote:
its ok, I've got the Big Yin on speed dial :D

Ive always thought of Billy Connolly as one of the gods of comedy, rather than THE God. :D

TrzkT
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

I'm just saying, they face some of the same attitudes, there are a lot of Christian haters out there, and religious war raging always.
Christians were responsible for the crusades, and they've burned witches, and people just like me, but obviously, they're not all crazy, some of them are very good people.

No doubt, we have a problem with homophobia, I know from experience, terrible discrimination and hate crimes happen frequently.

Its all so very frustrating, when its so damned easy to tolerate the differences of others.

This world ties my stomach in knots. I don't know what else to say.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 5:23 am

jesuslittleaspie77 wrote:
Just to let you know that if your a gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender person reading this that you are loved by God. Never think that your sexual orientation is dirty or a sin. It's a part of your identity, God doesn't make mistakes. You are perfect just the way you are! :D

I'm far from perfect, but I always welcome a message of love.

For anyone interested (probably no one), the most interesting book I've read about God is The Trouble with God: Building the Republic of Heaven.

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2011, 8:54 pm

jesuslittleaspie77 - Please leave us alone. Your proselytization is most unwelcome.

ROIH
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

I personally don't really care what the bible says, but unfortunately or not (depending on your opinion) a lot of people still do, and this is reflected in some segments of society. In my opinion people twist the bible to make it mean whatever they want. I have heard passionate arguments for and against homosexuality by using the bible.

Hikikamori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 3:36 am

Yeah... Some of those people will try to tell you the opposite.
God hates you...you're gross and sick to him and should be killed. Making them turn away from god. They are the antichrist.

Father help them see.

REW
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2011, 9:24 am

As the years go by it amazes me more all the time how much anger surrounds the topic of which gender someone is attracted to.
I consider myself a non practising bisexual. I had a long term relationship with a man over time it became more a platonic friendship and then we went our seperate ways. I have been non active for several years.
Thing is for me my bisexuality has not remained static when I was in twenties and early thirties I much prefered men but around 36/37 lost interest all together in anyone for a couple of years. When my feelings came back I found myself far more attracted to women so much so I could call myself straight. I AVOID talking with evangelicals about this because they might latch on and call me a conversion. NO SUCH DARN THING. Just an individual whose feelings changed without any effort or prayer on my part.
Bio aside I have an opinion that will win few friends on either side of the debate. I strongly believe that same gender atraction and related issues are a mental/hormonal disorder. They are not sin or moral failing just a disorder from the norm.
The same as there is no sin in having asperger's and no known cure I think the same is true for LGBT.
It's ok to have a disorder the trick is finding a way of dealing with the life we are given. Ultimately we all have our own story.
I have a cousin who has a partner of 15 years I am very glad for her and support her. I would never tell her she needs to change just because I have.

amojak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2011, 2:05 pm

heh, dunno about you but any "god" can go love somebody else thanks, leave me well alone.

If the bible bashers really want to refer to their bronze age translations then look up the god enforced homosexual acts present in it.

The abrahamic god really covers all ball parks. It is up to the "faithful" to cherry pick" what they believe.

AQ - 44
EIQ - 57
BAP - 129 Aloof, 103 Rigid, 132 Pragmatic