Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 4:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
I was a Baptist. Like Blanche said on The Golden Girls "You can't forgive us Baptists" :lol:

Did your church speak out strongly against the LGBT community? Mine certainly did.

Some sects of Baptists can get really extreme.

Indeed they did. That was one of the reasons why I quit going when I was 14 and first realized I was gay.

Another reason I quit going was because once in Sunday School I had to do an assigment about "what is and isn't OK for people in other countries to do".

Things that are 'OK' were eating bugs, talking in a different language, etc.

Things that are 'Not OK' were having more than one wife, women going around topless, etc.

Even at 14 years old I thought that sounded like a bunch of BS. I mean, who are we to judge what is and isn't right in somebody else's country? Better yet what gives us the right to try and change how they do things?

That is so typical of Christians to think they have the right to invade and colonize other people's countries and tell those native people what to do. :roll:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 4:59 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I was a Baptist. Like Blanche said on The Golden Girls "You can't forgive us Baptists" :lol:

Did your church speak out strongly against the LGBT community? Mine certainly did.

Indeed they did. That was one of the reasons why I quit going when I was 14 and first realized I was gay.

Another reason I quit going was because once in Sunday School I had to do an assigment about "what is and isn't OK for people in other countries to do".

Things that are 'Not OK' were having more than one wife, women going around topless, etc.

Even at 14 years old I thought that sounded like a bunch of BS. I mean, who are we to judge what is and isn't right in somebody else's country? Better yet what gives us the right to try and change how they do things?

That is so typical of Christians to think they have the right to invade and colonize other people's countries and tell those native people what to do. :roll:

Was your mom supportive when you decided to quit and came out of the closet?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 5:06 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well my Mom was never actually religous. I went to church because my Nana went and she wanted her grandchildren to go with her. If she knew why and how I felt about church now it would probably break her heart so I try not to bring it up around her.

As for me coming out, I wouldn't say my mom was against it, but she wasn't exactly supportive of it either. She never encouraged me to date or be open about who I was or cared about what I was going through as a teenager.

Honestly being gay in a small southern town in the Bible Belt sucks, especially when you have aspergers and are already socially awkward. :|

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 5:10 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Well my Mom was never actually religous. I went to church because my Nana went and she wanted her grandchildren to go with her. If she knew why and how I felt about church now it would probably break her heart so I try not to bring it up around her.

As for me coming out, I wouldn't say my mom was against it, but she wasn't exactly supportive of it either. She never encouraged me to date or be open about who I was or cared about what I was going through as a teenager.

Honestly being gay in a small southern town in the Bible Belt sucks, especially when you have aspergers and are already socially awkward. :|

That would be tough!

None of my family knows that I have a bisexual side. It would not go over well at all!

I avoid actively looking for a relationship with a girl because of how complicated it’d be, but if it happened, they’d have to deal with it.

Me being in any relationship would be complicated, actually. Maybe I should just stay single forevermore.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 5:12 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

That would be tough!

None of my family knows that I have a bisexual side. It would not go over well at all!

I avoid actively looking for a relationship with a girl because of how complicated it’d be, but if it happened, they’d have to deal with it.

Me being in any relationship would be complicated, actually. Maybe I should just stay single forevermore.

I'm starting to feel the same way. A relationship is just too much work.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:01 pm

I'm a lesbian, and I'm also an atheist. However, I went to a religious school despite my parents not being religious at all. Religious primary schools seem to be common here.

The schools can vary on how strictly religious the teachings are.

When I finished year six, I was given two Bibles. I ended up with one more in my Secondary school. Despite the school having a more open approach to a couple of religions whilst also allowing secular thought, there was still a noticeable push towards Christianity in my Secondary. We'd have assemblies where people from Christian youth centres would come talk to us.

There were certain requirements you had to meet in order to be allowed in to my Primary school. Which still agitates me to this day, because despite the school being so full of itself it was truly awful. My parents had me Christened and went to Church for two weeks just so I qualified. The school had a good reputation...but then it fell under new management. That's when things started to go wrong.

What I was taught often showed a clear bias towards certain views. Take my sex education in Secondary for example. We were taught abstinence until you're in a heterosexual marriage and only to procreate.

That anything else is incorrect. I think calling it sex education is generous, it wasn't even that. When a classmate asked the teacher about safe sex in non-heterosexual relationships, he sneered and asked "Why, are you gay?" in a mocking tone. Everyone else laughed. I felt like just walking out of the classroom, right then and there. But I didn't.

There was a time I got a leaflet about bullying, because it was bullying awareness week. It listed homophobia as a form of bullying, and a part of me wanted to march up to a bunch of teachers and say "That's rich, coming for you lot! I hear you say homophobic stuff all the time, yet I'm supposed to come to you for support for it? I swear the whole education system is a joke!"

However, I wasn't in a position to do that. Instead, I was keeping up a pretence about dating a guy who was also gay but we were both secretive about it. This seemed to be the safest option. Unfortunately, the truth came out in the end. On the plus side, we're both in better places now.

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I'm a lesbian, and I'm also an atheist. However, I went to a religious school despite my parents not being religious at all. Religious primary schools seem to be common here.

The schools can vary on how strictly religious the teachings are.

When I finished year six, I was given two Bibles. I ended up with one more in my Secondary school. Despite the school having a more open approach to a couple of religions whilst also allowing secular thought, there was still a noticeable push towards Christianity in my Secondary. We'd have assemblies where people from Christian youth centres would come talk to us.

There were certain requirements you had to meet in order to be allowed in to my Primary school. Which still agitates me to this day, because despite the school being so full of itself it was truly awful. My parents had me Christened and went to Church for two weeks just so I qualified. The school had a good reputation...but then it fell under new management. That's when things started to go wrong.

What I was taught often showed a clear bias towards certain views. Take my sex education in Secondary for example. We were taught abstinence until you're in a heterosexual marriage and only to procreate. That anything else is incorrect. I think calling it sex education is generous, it wasn't even that. When a classmate asked the teacher about safe sex in non-heterosexual relationships, he sneered and asked "Why, are you gay?" in a mocking tone. Everyone else laughed. I felt like just walking out of the classroom, right then and there. But I didn't.

There was a time I got a leaflet about bullying, because it was bullying awareness week. It listed homophobia as a form of bullying, and a part of me wanted to march up to a bunch of teachers and say "That's rich, coming for you lot! I hear you say homophobic stuff all the time, yet I'm supposed to come to you for support for it? I swear the whole education system is a joke!"

However, I wasn't in a position to do that. Instead, I was keeping up a pretence about dating a guy who was also gay but we were both secretive about it. This seemed to be the safest option. Unfortunately, the truth came out in the end. On the plus side, we're both in better places now.

I went to a public school that was not a specialized school like what you described, yet because it was in a conservative small town full of Baptists and Methodists in the 'Bible Belt' (that's what we call this region here in the US) coming out about being gay was something you did NOT do unlesz you were asking to be bullied.

I had been bullied about being gay from the time I was a small kid before I was even old enough to know what homosexuality was. And all through school I just kind of kept it to myself because the kids and teachers could be real as*holes about it.

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2019, 8:27 pm

I have a complex belief system that basically codifies my life experience, but as to whether there is a supreme being or not, I don't know. How could anyone know? Could there be an advanced civilization out there that looked like gods to us? So I'm kinda sorta an agnostic who thinks he can do better.

swordrat32
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2019, 7:48 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't know if God exists or not. I'm guessing he doesn't, but if he does he's a cruel, sadistic bastard who gets his kicks from f*****g with people. He could kill me right now if he wants to, but he prefers to make me suffer.
. . .
I feel very much the same way. If the Abrahamic God really does exist, he is cruel and evil and most of his followers are real bastards.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about that version of god.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 8:04 pm

swordrat32 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't know if God exists or not. I'm guessing he doesn't, but if he does he's a cruel, sadistic bastard who gets his kicks from f*****g with people. He could kill me right now if he wants to, but he prefers to make me suffer.
. . .
I feel very much the same way. If the Abrahamic God really does exist, he is cruel and evil and most of his followers are real bastards.

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about that version of god.

Me too!

If he exists, he owes his creation an apology.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 11:17 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Noca wrote:
I'm bisexual and an atheist. I ditched religion back in my teens, raised in a fundamentalist household.

What was your brand of fundamentalism, if you don’t mind me asking?

I was a Jehovah’s Witness. I’ve talked about that a lot on here, so you might already know that.

Evangelical Baptist. My parents think the earth is 6000 yrs old and believe Noah's Ark was a historical event... I think that about sums it up.

Lone Replicant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2019, 4:58 am

I am atheist and bisexual (70% straight and 30% gay).

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2019, 1:19 pm

I'm gay and I'm also an ex-baptist - athiest now with much relief!

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

21 Jul 2019, 3:23 am

Not to worry, God does not exist! I'm an Atheist and my belief is that the Bible was made up by people just like all the other religions with multiple deities before it, and the ones after. Eventually one with a single god appeared and that one lasted as people dropped their multiple gods. I also think religion was invented to control people. I for sure wouldn't stick stuff in my nose like African tribes to fend off evil! Or let them mutilate my children's genitals [although I'm childless by choice] for reasons science proved yet again are insanananane! Yep, people are predictable with their made-up stuff about after-life, human fear and need to have a higher being to explain the unknown or have comfort that someone loves and protects them. But I really can't blame them, I used to be one of them myself. Children who are exposed to religion really can't see things as clearly, it's sad that this happens in the world. Religion is not a game for children to be exposed to. It took me a long tough process, years of bible reads in my family and a high school with orthodox thematic, but I am finally free and relieved and can finally be myself fully with the beliefs I want to have and the things I want, can value to offer the world.

I am slightly bisexual (20% lesbian), if that counts. I don't have much lesbian experience, I think I might be more attracted to a different personality than what I've encountered/dated.

Revenge, what are you in terms of religious beliefs?

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm

Its like a Venn diagram

Yes

Some people on wrong planet are not religious

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2019, 5:58 pm

Atheist.

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)