Page 4 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 11:45 am

VegetableMan wrote:
Everybody deserves basic dignity. You are suggesting that anybody who refuses to walk lockstep with trans ideology is creating a hostile environment for trans people. I think that's an absurd conclusion. But I guess woman should just shut up, keep their opinions to themselves, even if they are uncomfortable with sharing locker rooms with biological males.

There are probably better ways to have this conversation than a few words on Twitter. However, you have to understand that trans activists are creating a hostile environment by shouting down anyone who doesn't blindly go along with it. You are not helping the situation with the type of rhetoric you're slinging here, using the word TERF, and calling a woman who is tired of the cancel culture "a disgusting cow."

Get it?

I wonder if trans people know what it feels like to be shouted down, and treated that non only are their opinions are not only not worth anything, but treated like monsters? You know, like if there was a whole history of cinema that queer coded villains as things like feminine men. That trans people have faced danger of real physical violence for their existence, and the majority of them now are so sick of it that they won't stand for it now.

You might not like it, but trans rights are human rights, and referring to them as biological (what they were assigned as) is an act to delegitimise them from their gender, which is a leading cause that leads to the high suicide rate. The call to give credence of individuals who are uncomfortable with trans people in their spaces, ignores that those trans people have been forced into the wrong changing rooms and forced to be surrounded by the other gender. One lady complaining about who she think is a man, up against a lady who does not want to change around a bunch of men.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:05 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Everybody deserves basic dignity. You are suggesting that anybody who refuses to walk lockstep with trans ideology is creating a hostile environment for trans people. I think that's an absurd conclusion. But I guess woman should just shut up, keep their opinions to themselves, even if they are uncomfortable with sharing locker rooms with biological males.

There are probably better ways to have this conversation than a few words on Twitter. However, you have to understand that trans activists are creating a hostile environment by shouting down anyone who doesn't blindly go along with it. You are not helping the situation with the type of rhetoric you're slinging here, using the word TERF, and calling a woman who is tired of the cancel culture "a disgusting cow."

Get it?

I wonder if trans people know what it feels like to be shouted down, and treated that non only are their opinions are not only not worth anything, but treated like monsters? You know, like if there was a whole history of cinema that queer coded villains as things like feminine men. That trans people have faced danger of real physical violence for their existence, and the majority of them now are so sick of it that they won't stand for it now.

You might not like it, but trans rights are human rights, and referring to them as biological (what they were assigned as) is an act to delegitimise them from their gender, which is a leading cause that leads to the high suicide rate. The call to give credence of individuals who are uncomfortable with trans people in their spaces, ignores that those trans people have been forced into the wrong changing rooms and forced to be surrounded by the other gender. One lady complaining about who she think is a man, up against a lady who does not want to change around a bunch of men.

In a perfect world, there would be no bullies or bigots around to terrorize anyone. But we don't live in a perfect world. Trans rights are human rights as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others -- or seek to stifle free speech.

An interesting read, here:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/12/i ... er-debate/

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm

First of, I use the term "autist" too, and there's a good chance this guy is on the spectrum as well. He and I will both be keeping our self-deprecating sense of humour, and you'll shove your moralizing language-policing where it belongs, deal?

Also, he's a MGTOW and an MRA, not an incel. They're mutually exclusive. Oh, you were trying to Poison the Well? Carry on, then. And I see you're a student of the "elabourate fantasies about my opponents true intentions" school of non-thought. Gotta keep the classics alive, I suppose.

Second of all, Calling Vaush a masculine man is hilarous in and of itself, but also suggesting that he's "not a guy that has to push his narrative" pushes you right off a cliff into lala-land. Right, the loud and proud Marxist Communist is neutral on this, is he?

And seeing as you launched right into the same tired old disingenuous "explanations" that are always spewed up by people with their capacity critical thinking surgically removed in the paragraphs that followed, I can assure you that no, we are not "playing this game", because you are not equipped for it and I do not have the patience for it today.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:43 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
First of, I use the term "autist" too, and there's a good chance this guy is on the spectrum as well. He and I will both be keeping our self-deprecating sense of humour, and you'll shove your moralizing language-policing where it belongs, deal?

Can you not do that. It is simply allowing people like edgy teens to replace calling people ret*ds with a new word by calling people they think as stupid as being autistic. Such as dubbing certain actions as "autistic screeching". It is not just funny self-depreciating, but furthering a building of a wall of discrimination against autistic people.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Also, he's a MGTOW and an MRA, not an incel. They're mutually exclusive. Oh, you were trying to Poison the Well? Carry on, then. And I see you're a student of the "elabourate fantasies about my opponents true intentions" school of non-thought. Gotta keep the classics alive, I suppose.

No, I was talking about the guy in the video that literally calls himself an incel, he says it several times. He is dressed like a bee and compares women to children as people who need to be protected, claims that boys should especially not cry in front of girls, and laughs at the concept that a woman could be the best friend of a man.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Second of all, Calling Vaush a masculine man is hilarous in and of itself, but also suggesting that he's "not a guy that has to push his narrative" pushes you right off a cliff into lala-land. Right, the loud and proud Marxist Communist is neutral on this, is he?

If he is not masculine, then what is he? How do you describe masculinity? Sure Vaush has his own agender, he is pretty upfront with it and gives his reasoning in clear plain English. With perhaps a more descriptions of floppy penises than necessary. He at least plays the full clips in his video and does not edit it to make the other side look crazy. But oh no, you said Marxist, that word that you definitely know the mean of, and according to the incel is what feminism is, means everything said has been exposed as part of some evil conspiracy.

Wolfram87 wrote:
And seeing as you launched right into the same tired old disingenuous "explanations" that are always spewed up by people with their capacity critical thinking surgically removed in the paragraphs that followed, I can assure you that no, we are not "playing this game", because you are not equipped for it and I do not have the patience for it today.

Boy, you sure have a way with words, please tell me more how stupid you think I am with no critical thinking ability. Level with me, how is what I have said be something disingenuous? Apparently they are also tired and old, which I guess that they have been heavily debunked by your super smart anti-sjw commentators that have to take their subjects out of context, and say that the alt right are not so bad. Maybe I need some Brainforce?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:53 pm

[MOD]

Let's take it down a notch, okay? This isn't PPR.

Thank you.

[/MOD]

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 1:06 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
smudge wrote:
Sex reassignment surgery is AKA gender reassignment surgery, so that wasn't silly. I agree the terms are kinda confusing to describe the same thing.

I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean a person can change their sex by having this surgery? Yes I know the difference between sex and gender, it's part of why I've become confused in this thread because I don't know which Rowling, Forstater and people on this thread are referring to.

"Chicks" can't have dicks, unless they're born with an over-enlarged clitoris.

The type of people that get TERF thrown at them tend to conflate sex and gender together, using it interchangeably and saying those who had one sex cannot have the other corresponding gender.

And yeah, girls can have penises. It is not like you would meet a woman who was entirely feminine, except for having something between her legs so you would refer to her as a man. It might sound incredibly foreign to the simplified biology you get taught in primary school, but if you listen to some women that still have their bits, you would see that the assumption is silly.

Bradleigh wrote:
"sex is real" is pretty much a dog whistle for saying trans women are not really women (and the reverse with men). It is something said to give a defense why trans people should be treated differently from their cis counterparts, which is transphobic. Sure you can say relevant when the trans person goes to the doctor and should give an accurate history to be helped, but it is not the sort of thing okay to do where people are yelling at transwomen to go to the men's room.

Do you know what a person's sex is? Are trans people going to become demanding of the scientists around the world who don't change what the very definition of sex is? Will science books everywhere need to be edited?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 2:22 pm

Here's a blog post by Maya Forstater that includes her position and the tweets that were deemed "homophobic." I think her concerns are quite valid.

https://medium.com/@MForstater/i-lost-m ... af2186ae84

Oscar Meyer Lansky

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 2:39 pm

^ Damn it, I can see everything on that website except the Tweets. I've tried it in a different browser too.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Dec 2019, 2:52 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Here's a blog post by Maya Forstater that includes her position and the tweets that were deemed "homophobic." I think her concerns are quite valid.

Quote:
We challenged the promotion of old fashioned gender stereotypes — that girls should only be interested in dolls and princesses while adventures and scientific toys are for boys — but we weren’t paying attention to how these stereotypes were being repackaged into the new idea of ‘gender identity’ — that if a girl child doesn’t conform to gender norms she might actually ‘be a boy’ (and vice versa).

From a point of view of a bit different culture - yes, I see it quite similar way. The gender-bender campaigns I saw are making (at least in my culture) more likely to create stereotypes about e.g. boys interested in hair styling or girls doing car mechanics. They seem to make such persons questioning their identities more, not less.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 3:00 pm

Reading the rest of the text, I agree with her. It looks to me that she is being very open and honest. Usually you can spot bias and misleading information a mile off (Well, I can and so can a lot of people here) but I don't see any of that in the way she writes. It's not appearing closed-off in any way, she is inviting people to speak up, and is inviting people to question her, without any hate in what she says.

The fact that people are beating up "TERFs" and the story she mentioned about an old woman getting beaten up by young men too, and that being celebrated, as it says here:

Quote:
This attack was celebrated by ‘trans rights activists’ on social media, and by organisations such as Action for Trans Health, who argued that beating up this woman was a legitimate part of their struggle because she was a ‘TERF’.

That is disturbing, and pathetic. That people are feeling afraid to speak up about this topic for fear of being labelled, that is not right and as she said here, "Allowing any idea or group of people to be beyond robust discussion creates conditions for corruption and abuse, and is dangerous for democracy. People should be able to discuss and scrutinise ideas, especially when they are being translated into law, and into medical procedures and decisions affecting children and vulnerable people."

I think it's terrible that people are getting beaten up for this. It's lunacy.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 3:05 pm

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

Hopefully, more people like Rowling will push back against this. She suffering a nasty backlash now, something she can afford given her riches.
Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm

I don't completely agree with Maya Forstater's stand - I don't think the very ownership of a penis would be a threat in a women's bathroom. No more than a lesbian and we can't lock lesbians out of restrooms, I hope.
I have bathed in shower stalls without locks next to my male collegues and nothing bad ever happened. The vast majority of people just want to use the bathroom and respect others.

However, I would be definitely concerned if my government was to change gender reassignment policy from requiring diagnosed gender dysphoria to vague "self-identification". It opens too much room for possible abuse - changing room perverts and sports cheaters are the first to come to my mind.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 7:12 pm

smudge wrote:
Do you know what a person's sex is? Are trans people going to become demanding of the scientists around the world who don't change what the very definition of sex is? Will science books everywhere need to be edited?

Yes I know what sex is. It is something that is made up of several signifiers such as genitals, breasts, hormones and chromosomes. While the majority of people can have these things that fit a binary, there are those that do not, including intersex people. One's sex is more of a medical term rather than social, which is one's gender, thus you don't refer to someone by their sex, but by their gender, which can be separate from said sex.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 7:24 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

So she is a feminist, who excludes transwoman of being women, she is radical in believing this. She is a TERF, simple as that. If she does not like being called that, then she should not act like one. It makes her a bigot, and she should be treated the same as a racist saying there are inherent differences between the races, someone who's words continue to hurt women as she hides behind feminism.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 7:40 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
...Trans rights are human rights as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others -- or seek to stifle free speech.

I think this sums things up as succinctly as could possibly be done. Thank you, Veg.