Page 5 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:13 am

What's needed for ALL people are anti-discriminatory laws which have more "teeth" in them -- laws that do not favor any one particular ethnicity, gender, sex, or socio-economic class.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:13 am

Of course.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:25 am

I "mostly" agree with the poster. Some just give up on resistance of a group gaining strength and rights where others submerge and attack. For instance if you are openly gay, you end up with your wedding photos "mysterious" missing when u go to pick them up. They do it by making life hard for you - by "bustin' your balls". You'll notice that everybody has their dinners except you guys when you out. Then when it finally comes, the order is wrong. I'm biracial and my family put up this baloney all of our lives.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 9:34 am

Yep....I've seen that passive-aggressive baloney many times.

I've seen passive-aggressive salami, too.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 10:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LGBTIQ people already have the same rights as everybody else.
Are you really sure about that?
Yes. Whether or not other people will automatically honor those rights is another matter entirely.

How can you say that after everything else I wrote?
The only way that could be true is saying something like that a gay person has the right to marry by marrying someone of the opposite sex. Sure technically it is the right rule in law, but they would not have the same right to marry who they love.

Saying that a trans person has the right to use the bathroom, but not to do so in the gender they feel comfortable with, which is pretty much the same as saying they don't exist. Go back a bit over a hundred years ago, and people were giving the same justification of saying there was no need to for laws to allow women to vote, because they could do so through their husbands. It may make sense at the time, but later after the rules are changed it is going to sound ridiculous.

Even when laws change on the books, it doesn't mean that discrimination is going to be in other parts of the culture. Such as certain minority group having poverty in greater amounts due to discrimination, so things like affirmative action is put into place to try and change the culture to show that people in those groups are just as able. Specificity for groups is important to protect those groups, otherwise it can be difficult to even apply it, and those with an interest to sabotage it can bog it down with vague wording does not even mean anything. It is not like a straight person is at risk of a hate crime simply for being straight.

So the way it would go is: "A rule needs to be placed to protect trans kids from being discriminated for their gender identity."
"No, it should be the same for everyone, so all kids protected for their gender identity."
"This law does not seem to be important to pass because kids don't generally seem to being discriminated against for their gender."

People start a tizzy about a new law being worked on to allow people to enter the bathroom they identify as will any pervert pedophile to walk into the bathrooms of their daughters. And maybe end up compromising that the trans people need to have their genitals ripped out, effectively involuntarily sterilized if that is not something they have a problem as, or other places will say that it has to be on their birth certificate. They will say that they are protecting women from being raped from men entering the ladies room, while they are forcing women into the men's room, and other fully bearded men that you would not know otherwise are made to go into the ladies room. Just maybe those trans men are going to be confronted by the partners or parents who saw that man go into the ladies room and at best called a freak, and at worst beaten to death.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 11:13 am

If you identify as a female, you can go into any female bathroom in New York City.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 12:05 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LGBTIQ people already have the same rights as everybody else.
Are you really sure about that?
Yes. Whether or not other people will automatically honor those rights is another matter entirely.
How can you say that after everything else I wrote?
Because, regardless of whatever you wrote, what I posted is still true.

You have freedom of speech. No one is automatically going to give you the opportunity to speak.

You have freedom of press. No one is automatically going to give you the opportunity to publish.

You have freedom of assembly. No one is automatically going to give you a place to assemble.

You have the right to bear arms. No one is automatically going to give you a loaded firearm.

You have the right to petition Congress for redress of wrongs. No one is automatically going to consider your petition (it is likely to be filed away with all of the other petitions received on that day).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 1:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
You have freedom of speech. No one is automatically going to give you the opportunity to speak.

And hate speech is not covered, yet people still do it. Even your president.

Fnord wrote:
You have freedom of press. No one is automatically going to give you the opportunity to publish.

And people are calling any fair reporting fake news, while literally mischaracterising the facts.

Fnord wrote:
You have freedom of assembly. No one is automatically going to give you a place to assemble.

And you had Neo Nazis and KKK assemble together to spread their toxic ideology.

Fnord wrote:
You have the right to bear arms. No one is automatically going to give you a loaded firearm.

Not in my country, our police are not as terrified that just anyone could have a firearm on them, thus we are not afraid that a police officer is going to suddenly gun down an innocent person. The right of the individual to own guns is not even a literal interpretation of your law, since it preludes for the purpose of "a well regulated militia".

Fnord wrote:
You have the right to petition Congress for redress of wrongs. No one is automatically going to consider your petition (it is likely to be filed away with all of the other petitions received on that day).[/color]

And anyone who can worm their way in can filibuster the crap out of equality laws that they don't like.

I am not even sure why you are saying all of these rights of the USA, that have limitations that is a no free handout scenario. If anything just goes to show that your laws can be slow change and imperfect in their application for historically repressed groups. It is always the opinion that the right now is the how everything should be, and cling to the safety of ancient documents like they are gospel, and not pieces worthy of criticism from not being as relevant to modern issues, and themselves were written around politics of issues that would seem ridiculous now with specific wording. Do you think the right to bear arms was written with the knowledge that some unstable guy could get arms with enough power to kill dozens of people in seconds? That it even had ideas of modern police that are supposed to act in the interest of all?

Look, do you really think that LGBT people are being treated fairly when people are holding homophobic views through by basing their morality just on something like the bible? Even having judges display the sort of stuff in the court rooms. I am not even anti religious, just that times change, and if we want people to be good to each other, specific stuff needs to be put in place. Maybe doing that might have stopped parents from being sh***y to LGBT people, that would have influenced their kid to then bully the kid who has similarities to LGBT, and was pushed so far that they spent most of their life being unhappy or even committing suicide.

Your heart is in the right place, but your "the law says equal rights for everyone" ignores inherent inequality on issues and people who can be helped. It is like a "boys will be boys" and being told that something builds character, as if they have any idea the hell people are being put through in what is considered normal. People even have the nerve to claim things were better in their days, where they would not be criticised for mocking those now protected.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 1:09 pm

Oh, I see ... you're more into America-bashing than in having an honest dialog on this thread's subject.

Good luck with going it alone.

And don't let the dingos eat your baby!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 1:58 pm

No, I just like to think that I am pretty informed on things. America-bashing? Dude, just earlier about how my country has sucked on LGBT rights. And was the dingo thing the most relevant thing you had, something that happened 10 years before I was born? Do you want me to keep saying sucky things about my own country so that you can feel like your idea of America is the true representation of the world that matters?

What do you expect from me, you started naming off American law principals as if they were the foundation that everyone should follow, and then you take any criticism as bashing your country. Please act like an adult rather than childish stereotypes.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 4:59 am

Most countries don't have the 'right to bear arms'

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 7:33 am

Our company has out as gay employed in key management positions. They have brought their kids and partners to company outings.

Brivae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Nov 2019, 7:03 pm

Could be just queerbaiting, I know how you feel. =/

Boatman
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2019, 9:31 pm

I hate the word 'tolerance' when it comes to things like sexuality.

Why the hell does anyone have to 'tolerate' other people's happiness?

The word implies people are doing something wrong that affects others, which is absolute crap when applied to relationships between adults.

I don't see much homophobia these days, but I have noticed a lot of transphobia recently.

Brivae

09 Nov 2019, 11:15 am

Boatman wrote:
I hate the word 'tolerance' when it comes to things like sexuality.

Why the hell does anyone have to 'tolerate' other people's happiness?

The word implies people are doing something wrong that affects others, which is absolute crap when applied to relationships between adults.

I don't see much homophobia these days, but I have noticed a lot of transphobia recently.

Homophobia is still there, just because you don’t see doesn’t mean it’s gone. It’s probably more discrete.

I actually don’t understand why other people feel like they have to be a part of (or not a part of) other people’s happiness. It sounds ridiculous to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 6:21 pm

Because people feel a vicarious happiness through other peoples’ happiness.

Homophobia still exists, even though gay folks have many more rights than they did back in the 20th century.