Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2012, 11:32 am

So, in response to all of the threads asking "Are there any other trans people" on this forum, I thought I'd start a thread where we can just talk and share experiences rather than ask if we are outliers, etc.

I'm transgender, and there are more than a few of us in the community. In fact a study at the Amsterdam gender clinic showed that 6% of their patients were on the autism spectrum.

Also, I feel like throwing out some definitions.
MtF, FtM - Male to Female, or Female to Male
Neutrois - a form of gender neutral, or agendered.
Agender - Without gender
Transfeminine/Transmasculine - Identifying as on the Masculine of Feminine side of the spectrum, without necessarily identifying as male or female.
Non-Binary - Not identifying as male or female.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

FtM who possibly has an ASD here. Good thread idea! Does anyone else have more of an issue binding/tucking/squishing of the things because of sensory issues?

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 11:40 am

Hi! I am intersex and third gender. It's up in the air as to whether or not that's considered transgender. I don't really know anymore. I'm legally male, FWIW and usually dress in, what most people call, female clothes. I dress like a male sometimes though, too.

G.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2012, 11:49 am

G, consider it a thread on gender variance. While some people who are intersex want to be kept away from the transgender label, if you don't have a problem talking to people who are transgender it's not a problem.

Personally, I'm non-binary identified a well.

Also, Tesla, can't say I don't do the whole squishing of anything. Nothing is prominent enough to need squishing. XD

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

I certainly don't have an issue with it. :)

Glorifel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm

I guess I relate because I had periods in the past where I tried to force myself to choose one gender or the other. Society always wants me to choose, I might add. In that sense, I understand trying to live as someone you're not.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2012, 10:10 pm

Personally I wish that society would be more open about nonbinary identity. I'd love to have an ID that didn't have gender listed at all.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 12:49 am

So, but why is this, that more autistic people are Transgender or Genderqueer?

Are they also more Intersex?

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 12:57 am

Raziel wrote:
So, but why is this, that more autistic people are Transgender or Genderqueer?

Are they also more Intersex?

People with autism are definitely overrepresented in the transgender community. I'm not sure about Interex. I think intersex is a condition whose causes are way more independent from the causes of autism. Maybe there is something about testosterone exposure in the womb. That's the only single factor I've come across that links transgenderism/autism together.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:24 am

techn0teen wrote:
Maybe there is something about testosterone exposure in the womb. That's the only single factor I've come across that links transgenderism/autism together.

Yes, I also read this.
But it can't be everything.
It wouldn't explain why also MtF (male to female) is slightly overrepresented.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

Indeed. As a trans-feminine individual, the idea of masculinisation of the brain causing autism seems wrong.

There have been theories involving seeing gender differently. Or perhaps autistic traits are overrepresented in the transgender community due to environmental factors that mimic autism?

elfstar
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2012, 5:12 am

FtM/genderqueerish person here. I'm physically transitioning to male because I'm more comfortable with male hormones/appearance, but I don't feel I have much of a gender deep down.

I have trouble binding due to sensory issues, although for short periods of time I like the proprioceptive input my binder provides. I just hate wearing it all day long, especially in the summer, so lately I've just been going without. I wear baggy enough clothes that it usually doesn't matter.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

14 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm

So what do you call someone who feels both male and female at the same time, cause that is what I am as far as gender goes.

I usually dress with femine and masculine aspects at the same time. Usually I like a femine shirt, with boyish jeans and tennis shoes.
Or I will wear a boyish shirt/jeans with my hair all girled up.

I always thought it would be cool for me a Female to dress in a tux, then have a male date in a prom dress/ make-up.

I went to my senior prom dressed in Renascence period dress with my hair in rope curls. My boyfriend (at the time) missed the humor in it and said I am going to the prom with the weirdest girl in the weirdest dress. :(
I eventually dumped him when I realized we were too far apart. I didn't start really questioning my orientation or my gender until I went to college. See Rick Santorum is right, universities are cesspools for liberals...lol! :wink: jk

Jojo

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:09 am

I think I'm kind of genderqueer. I don't mind being physically female, but I hate what society expects of me because I'm physically female. I usually wear "boyish" clothes, jeans and t-shirt with a baseball cap. My aspie friends know about this and treat me as a guy. My family knows nothing. I've thought about taking male hormones, but am pretty happy with the situation as it is now.

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

I'm MTF, diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome. I feel in strong mental pain all the time just from wishing so strongly that I were a woman. It gets bad enough that sometimes I'll be late to work, because I was in curled in a ball crying and thinking of suicide. Kind of like this morning.

My parents blame the Asperger's. They think that Asperger's caused me to jump to conclusions when I read about transgenderism and become obsessed like with other special interests.

I hate being a guy so much =(

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2012, 4:34 pm

@kittylover

It's tough, but there are real options for people in your position, are you seeing a therapist about it?