Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

I am so unsure as to my gender identity and it is really bothering me.
I hate my breasts, high-pitched voice and period, I feel like I need a flat chest and deeper voice to be happy. I'd like facial hair. I like some stereotypical male things and some stereotypical female things, but I don't know if I 'feel' male OR female. In my head I look male, and if I could have chosen, I would have had a male body.

What do you think?
If I am trans* and tell people at the psychiatric hospital where i'm a patient, i'm worried that they won't believe me as I like Hello Kitty and used to wear skirts sometimes and eyeliner or lipstick, and they will think I am copying my friend who recently came out as FtM...

Thanks very much for reading. :)

ObserverGirl_4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

Have you always felt this way? What are the stereotypical male things you like? If people don't believe you at first, they most likely will in a bit of time, when it becomes clear its beyond copying your friend.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2012, 10:36 pm

I would recommend consulting a gender identity therapist, someone who specializes in such. Many therapists (especially the kind that would work at a psych hospital) probably aren't going to give you the right answers.

From what you've described it sounds very likely. Do you experience dysphoria and to what extremes do you feel such?

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot for replying. :)

I've always seen myself in my mind as looking male. I like/feel comfortable with male clothing, mannerisms and other things like pocket knives and camping.

I experience dysphoria about my breasts, voice and period, to the extent where I fantasise about cutting off my breasts, don't feel comfortable in public without binding, hate myself every time I speak in a high voice, dread my period and become more down when it's that time.

Thanks for the advice, i'll consider consulting a gender identity therapist...

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:24 pm

Yeah that sounds like a lot of the same stuff my partner goes through. You certainly fit the description of a transdude. Try to get involved in the local trans/queer community (if there is one) and see what you can find about resources in the area. Depending on where you live this could either be fairly easy or hair-pullingly frustrating.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

It should be relatively easy in theory as I already attend an LGBT youth group for other reasons, but haven't got the courage to go to the group specifically for people who are transgender as i'm worried my mum will find out (as she found out about the LGBT group). I'll try to work up the courage...

I'm sorry to hear that your partner also experiences dysphoria, if that's what you meant. :(

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

Yeah. I deal with it too, but being intersex and gender neutral I actually get it in both directions.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 9:43 pm

That must be tough. Do you present as gender neutral as well?

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2012, 8:00 am

I do my best. I've basically found a happy medium that I'm comfortable with.