Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

19 Feb 2013, 2:50 pm

Based on the so-called hyper male brain theory of autism, I'm wondering if any males who had Asperger's noticed remarkable improvements after taking the hormones (or whatever) for conversion therapy?

I am not ready to be trans at this point, but if anyone has experienced this, I would consider taking them in small doses if they created a less extreme male brain over time, thus alleviating autistic symptoms and increasing empathizing ability.

It sounds like a crazy theory that probably doesn't check out, but one can't help but wonder, right?

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

I'm not a trans woman, but I really doubt this. My personal experience has been that autistic tendencies increase under great deals of stress, so I'd imagine transitioning and all the ignorance and bigotry that typically follows (if they aren't able to pass pre- and during hormones) would only increase their stress. Then again, at the same time, it'd probably substantially decrease, as they would be taking steps to legitimize their gender identity to the world...

Then again, this is me operating under the assumption that the hyper male brain theory is wrong.

Last edited by Yuugiri on 19 Feb 2013, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 5:30 pm

<--- Never heard of the hyper male brain theory of autism till now.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

I've actualy noticed certain symptoms I never had before start to show themselves. My self-esteem has improved so that has helped me socialize more easily but I'm also dealing with fixations I've never had before. Everything else seems to have stayed the same though.

I'm not sure if my intense fixations are AS related. They could be OCD. They don't bring me any anxiety but they still respond to SSRI medication. They are still a symptom that I started experiencing while on HRT. It didn't start right away. I was on hormones for a little while before I noticed the development of my obsessions but I was on HRT when it happened.

I've got fixations now but I've also got more self-confidence so things have changed a little bit. Most things have stayed the same. I can't say I've improved in anyway but I haven't really gotten worse either.

poisonousautumn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Feb 2013, 10:41 pm

i consider myself a non-op M to F, and i've come to terms with that.

i definately consider my male side to hold my primary AS behaviors. when i am dressed and in female mode, i become more socially fluid. so the working theory is if i did transition, my social AS issues might go away. the obsessive behavior and others i don't believe would.
but then again this is all just theory :)

AngelGrace
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2013, 9:08 pm

I would think that there would be some improvement. When you think about it, living like that must cause a lot of stress and confusion, so bringing yourself in line with your true gender would lift some of the stress, which in turn reflects on other areas of your life. You're happier, and it shows in everything you do, not to mention you're not fighting yourself.

poisonousautumn
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Feb 2013, 2:12 am

has anybody compartmentalized themselves gender-wise?

sometimes in socially stressful situations i just let her take over. it seems to help in short bursts, but i am a big guy and i go rather girlie. so that freaks me out and makes me supress it. but i feel like i make genuine progress socially.

so it might just come down to stress with alignment and true gender. i just don't feel like i can let her go in public safely.

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

I think I still act rather weird due to Asperger's Syndrome even though I've been on estrogen for 4 years.

In some ways, I think I act as a caricature of a woman instead of a real woman.