Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FairyCakes
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2013, 6:07 pm

Can one be both asexual and lesbian? or would that be considered lesromantic? I don't see myself as sexually attracted to anyone, or anything. Not sure if it's a libido issue or what, but I don't really care. I also don't know if I am romantically attracted to strictly females... But then there's the issue of gender fluidity- so is it only females? I don't think it should matter who I spend my life with though if we aren't going to 'do it'. Now I've confused myself. :scratch:

Alexithymia Quiz: 134

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

Yes there are Lesbian, Gay and Bi Asexuals that identify as such for any number of personal reasons. Such as romantic/platonic purposes, cultural purposes, etc.

I myself is a Bi asexual, on grounds of what I'm aesthetically attracted to, I'm also Agender but I question whether I can distinguish/read any interpersonal attraction or feel a gender on what's neurologically going on... :?

There's a lot of stuff to read on AVEN on this plus threads in the past for people identifying the same way.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

CftxP
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm

From what I've read, I think that asexual is a catch-all term for anyone who doesn't have any sexual desire for other people and it doesn't really matter if you're attracted to men or women. That's why a lot of people in the LGBT spectrum also consider asexuals as one of our own since with asexuality, it's about something like aesthetics or other factors not including sexual attraction but isn't anything like genderqueer, lesbian, bisexual, gay, etc.... since with the LGBTQ, sexual attraction is the reason why someone usually identifies as such while with asexuality, it doesn't really matter as long as you're attractive in the other sense.

Just so you know, I am gay, but for a few moments there I did think I was asexual since despite being sexually attracted to men, I don't actually want to have sex at all, so I looked on AVEN and found that stuff out. Still wondering what I am since it's not really characteristic of most gays to be like me, but oh well, guess we're partially in the same bubble.

Partisian
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2013, 3:31 am

Hmm. Very good question. I have been thinking about this kind of thing a lot recently, and as a person to whom math comes easily, I look at asexuality and sexual orientation as 2 different planes. In other words, I graph it. For example, I'm reasonably sure that as far as orientation goes, I'm somewhere around a 2.5 on the Kinsey Scale. However, I'm barely attracted to anyone at all, and due to lack of units to display that value with, I use a percentile, at which I rate around 15-20%. Thusly, I believe that someone could be both lesbian and asexual, however, depending on the amount of asexuality involved, it might simply be romanticism instead of "actual" sexual attraction.

Did that make any sense at all, or is this like that time I went on about Boolean logic in English class?

Also, self confusion promotes thinking; It's a good idea.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't feel sexually attracted to either sex, am engaged to a man, but think I may be a lesbian. I considered myself asexual and biromantic for a bit before questioning my identity further. I may just have a very low sex drive and be a lesbian, I'm not sure and it's so confusing! I'm nearly 29 and thought that I would have my sexual identity figured out by now, this has thrown me for a loop. I "love" my fiance, but am not attracted to him in any physical way and I wonder if the love is platonic.