Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

Has anyone that has been to college joined a LGBT club at their school? I started community college this fall and I think I may go to a meeting they have to see what it's about. I am quite terrified but I think it would be best. And I wanted to know any one's experience?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2012, 9:17 pm

Yes, I joined one when I was in community college. That was back when I was more interested in trying to be social; I would not enjoy such a thing now. The club was small. We met in a classroom and discussed the activities we wanted to do. We had a barbecue fundraiser, a movie night in the school theater, and the rest of the club went to San Francisco to raise money for something one day. I stayed home. All the members were friendly. It's was a lot like any other club that has a social purpose, but not terribly loud or chaotic due to its small size.

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2012, 1:17 am

I have never joined a club before. Socializing would be nice. But I am scared. I think there is over 25 people in this group.. so if it's too chaotic I may just go once.

madamehussein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2012, 9:22 am

There's a big difference between the number of "active" members (the ones who comes to meetings) and the number of actual "members" :)

The LGBT group in my town is small and kinda dull...they tend to organize pub nights every week and a movie night now and then :)

tincupuma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2013, 8:17 pm

Hi I'm New to this site but I saw your post here and thought I should respond. I've went to one meeting of the lgbt club at my school so far and for me it was kind of strange only 4 people came which they said was unusual and the faculty advisor that all the clubs have to have was roudy and immature. I did not get a very good first impression. Also i just sat there and said nothing. I plan on going to another one soon though. i hope that was just a one time thing with all the craziness. I would suggest you go atleast a couple of times. You might also want to try any clubs that coincide with your interests or passions. They can be a structured way of meeting other people. Hope that helps.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 3:51 pm

I started one when I was in University--about a squillion years ago.

boynexdoor77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2013, 5:59 pm

I actually started on this semester at my community college. Yeah I speak up once in awhile, and get nervous, but it is worth it. Most of the members are very nice.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

The LGBT club at my school saved me.

I'm transgender, and was presenting as a male for the first time and the Coordinator of the centre (My school has a whole room/social space for our Community Centre) kind of took me under her wing and helped introduce me with my new male name. And the Centre just became a place to escape and be male and ACCEPTED, because I wasn't out in my classes.

Now I'm male all the time, and I rarely go. That makes me sad.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

I think there was meant to be some kind of LGBTQ club thing at my school; I remember seeing a notification for it maybe a year or two ago, but I guess it was cancelled due to lack of interest. Either my school is devoid of queer people, which is unlikely, or they're too scared to admit it. Shame. I think there's also a youth LGBTQ group and an adult LGBTQ group in my area but I haven't really bothered with contacting them. Might have 'liked' them on Facebook, that's about it.

princesscrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2013, 10:32 am

There's a relatively active gay-straight alliance at my school. I've been to a few of their meetings, but sadly, they're poorly attended (attendance consisted of the six exec members, two other people, and me xD).