Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

I've noticed that most Aspie men I've met are gay (me included) is there a connection? What's your two cents on it?

murbark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2013, 6:51 pm

Have you considered that most of the Aspie men you meet are gay because you are a gay Aspie man? There's no correlation at all.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 8:08 pm

I don't see any reason why the proportions of gay/non-gay among Apsies would be any different from the population in general.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 9:05 pm

I am bisexual, but have yet to meet another male aspie who was gay or bi (and I've met a good amount of male aspies). If anything, from my experience, it seems like female aspies have a stronger tendency to be either gay, bi, or asexual, though it's certainly not universal.

Einsteinologist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

There actually is a correlation, in that the neuro-development in the AS brain and other related phenomenon may involve abnormalities in mid-line structures, which involve hormones; other structural differences yield emotional learning / memory discrepancies that makes pair-bonding extremely challenging! I believe "asexuality" is mostly psychological confusion from society, and homosexuality is just people attempting social bonding in a less-threatening scenario... ???

There are numerous examples of less-stereotypical males/females who are the brains & backbone of art & science! Never disregard the role of neurons and our ability to work with them... sexuality is quite secondary for a lot of people!

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 12:25 am

No one really knows. We can't say either there is or there isn't any correlation between AS and homosexualitiy. I have never met anyone with AS IRL. All I know about people with AS is from WP. And that's not really enough to even make any assumptions.

Cirrocumulus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2013, 2:04 am

Yes, I think remember reading that there is a correlation, although I would like to find & critically assess the research reports (any links/references anyone??) There's also the general tendency as aspies to be non-conformists including to gender norms, and I suppose greater openness (if that's a common aspie trait) helps to avoid denial at least.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

Einsteinologist wrote:
I believe "asexuality" is mostly psychological confusion from society, and homosexuality is just people attempting social bonding in a less-threatening scenario... ???

QFT!