How do I talk about autism without talking about transition?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2014, 9:23 am

A mentor in my life is encouraging me and helping me to find venues to speak and write about my experience on the spectrum, especially my success as an educator for other special-needs people and my case for people with disabilities being given more rather than less credibility than others in this field, as we've experienced it firsthand. However, I don't want to talk about being a trans man, but if I'm going to address my childhood, I don't feel like I can just lie and pretend I was raised as a little boy, and I think it would be very hard to skirt around it in a larger work even if in small anecdotes I can manage to leave gender out of it.

TheBlueEyedAlien
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

Well, when talking to others about your childhood, your telling them about your experiences with autism in your early life right? If that's so, why would you have to tie your gender along with it? I mean, I don't know how in depth you're going to go talking about your childhood. It's your business, if you don't want to talk about it you shouldn't have to.