Feeling "fake" for those who don't fit the gender

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

I've recently come to terms with the idea of gender fluidity after spending most of my life feeling deeply out of touch with myself both as a man and as a woman. While I've become more comfortable as a whole and have been feeling more comfortable expressing them, dressing myself accordingly, and acting accordingly in my relationship, I've occasionally had something whispering in my ear that what I'm doing is faking someone else's gender, orientation, or lifestyle, since I exist in a state of fluidity, temperateness, and merged sensations while other people live them 24/7. That I'm just an x who likes to act y sometimes, even though my feelings of dysphoria have been severe enough in the past to prevent me from being comfortable during sex.

I also can't help but think l that not truly being able to mix socially on the same level of other people only further removes me from experiencing life and socializing genuinely in either male or female groups, and adds to the strangeness that is me.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 12:35 am

I am no expert on gender or sexuality issues. My uneducated mind would guess that you should probably do what feels natural, and not try to fake act anything, and if it was natural, then you shouldn't feel like it's fake. If you feel like you are both genders, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I know with me, I can't embrace either gender of the binary in entirety because they both are very limiting in that you can't do or be certain ways if you are in a certain gender, and both genders also have social and other various expectations that I can't or won't perform.

I kind of exist somewhere near between the genders but have a more masculine appearance and certain behaviors, and my voice isn't girly. I have some parts of both gender behaviors, and I don't embrace a lot of parts of either one. But I don't like to limit myself in adherence to the genders, and I don't bother with a lot of the requirements either. My natural, which I think is kind of neutral or mild, is considered to be under the masculine in society. (I am not strongly masculine but I am considered masculine anyway because society tends to put neutral closer to masculine.

I guess I am a real a-hole since I don't conform socially. I have never been able to blend in socially with the whole gender thing. I have never been able to feel good by trying to be girly, and I usually feel awkward being myself because of the stigmas attached to being a masculine female. Sometimes it's nice when people think I am a guy because I can be more of myself, when people think I am a guy its okay for a while, only until they find out I'm a girl who looks like a guy (usually with going to the bathroom, my name, or etc).

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Apr 2014, 3:40 pm

stabilator wrote:
I am no expert on gender or sexuality issues. My uneducated mind would guess that you should probably do what feels natural, and not try to fake act anything, and if it was natural, then you shouldn't feel like it's fake. If you feel like you are both genders, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I know with me, I can't embrace either gender of the binary in entirety because they both are very limiting in that you can't do or be certain ways if you are in a certain gender, and both genders also have social and other various expectations that I can't or won't perform.

I kind of exist somewhere near between the genders but have a more masculine appearance and certain behaviors, and my voice isn't girly. I have some parts of both gender behaviors, and I don't embrace a lot of parts of either one. But I don't like to limit myself in adherence to the genders, and I don't bother with a lot of the requirements either. My natural, which I think is kind of neutral or mild, is considered to be under the masculine in society. (I am not strongly masculine but I am considered masculine anyway because society tends to put neutral closer to masculine.

I guess I am a real a-hole since I don't conform socially. I have never been able to blend in socially with the whole gender thing. I have never been able to feel good by trying to be girly, and I usually feel awkward being myself because of the stigmas attached to being a masculine female. Sometimes it's nice when people think I am a guy because I can be more of myself, when people think I am a guy its okay for a while, only until they find out I'm a girl who looks like a guy (usually with going to the bathroom, my name, or etc).

I am doing what's natural to me, or trying to.

Is it surprising that someone such as a gender fluid biological male might feel like a "fake" when discussing being a woman with women who are treated as women by society, especially if they always see themselves that way?

Is it surprising that a gay transman might feel like he's "fake" when he's talking to gay men whose sexes and genders align about the feelings and struggles of being gay if he has yet to transition, because society still views and treats him as a heterosexual woman - perhaps even tells him he's mentally ill for thinking he's not?

Not to mention looking at oneself. I imagine it's different for, say, a transgendered person, but it's sometimes like looking at an alternate me. It's a sudden dose of, "What the f**k were you thinking? Look at you. Look at what you actually are and have. Idiot. Wannabe."

I don't consider myself gender fluid because sometimes I like to be boyish and sometimes I like to be girly, or anything like that. It's not about having stereotypically female traits like polite and gentle or having stereotypically male traits like rowdy and horny, or moving between those. This is about my mental image of myself, my body, my voice, my genitals, the roles I take on with others, and the roles others take on with me. The last two would be hard enough to move between or opt out of entirely even if I was skilled at social settings and social roles.

Of course I don't feel natural. What I am doesn't fit anywhere into the schemata of my culture (many might just say I'm ill and need to be medicated), and there's little information online to comfort or instruct me. I spent most of my life telling myself I had phases, phases that had simply begun early in childhood when children started gendered play and had included being curious about both having a penis and having a vagina when I became interested in sex. I told myself I must have been trained weird during childhood interactions, or I must have read too much fiction. I told myself I just didn't like the gender role assigned to my sex, when I don't fit the one assigned to the other sex, either. I told myself I'd feel better when I was comfortable defying that role, but I don't feel better.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 7:29 am

I rarely have something in common with those who are transgender in my local community. Most of them have quite a bit in common with each other from how their childhood went, to life experience, health, interests, choice of activities. I'm an outlier on a spectrum of this group.

I know that having AS is probably the biggest factor, but there are quite a few other variables outside the AS that just don't fit a narrative the others have made up to account for themselves.

And that's what it is.

At first I had issues but I stayed quiet. Others would say the same things over and over that being transgender worked a certain way and only that way. Then I realized that I'm not them. They were selling a narrative that I don't fit with. I've had others get in my face over it and I've called the narrative out with others when they try to force me into it.

Doesn't stop me from being me, a unique snow flake.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

stardraigh wrote:
I rarely have something in common with those who are transgender in my local community. Most of them have quite a bit in common with each other from how their childhood went, to life experience, health, interests, choice of activities. I'm an outlier on a spectrum of this group.

I know that having AS is probably the biggest factor, but there are quite a few other variables outside the AS that just don't fit a narrative the others have made up to account for themselves.

And that's what it is.

At first I had issues but I stayed quiet. Others would say the same things over and over that being transgender worked a certain way and only that way. Then I realized that I'm not them. They were selling a narrative that I don't fit with. I've had others get in my face over it and I've called the narrative out with others when they try to force me into it.

Doesn't stop me from being me, a unique snow flake.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't easily fit in.

There's so much prejudice even in LGBT communities. Lesbians who find the idea of being bisexual disgusting because men objectify women, but it's okay when women objectify women. Transwomen who hate men. Gay men who hate women. How can I expect such people to be understanding towards me? Honestly, talking about this has only made me feel more ostracized, more desperate, more dysphoric, and more alone because everyone either doesn't understand or tells me to "just be myself".

The only exceptions have been my boyfriend and a cisgender, heterosexual male friend. They've been the only ones to honestly engage me in what this means, what concrete action I may need to take to feel like I'm part of the world around me and comfortable in my own skin, and what they can do to help me. I'm free from fixed gendered interactions with them, and have made some decisions that I think will improve my situation a little.

Gender fluid essentially doesn't exist. Transgender people have everything down to books on how to parent transgender children, and I have a few sentences on a Wikipedia article about the umbrella term "genderqueer" and a few blogs where people post pictures of themselves, ask for clearer definitions of gender fluidity, or get advice on how to dress. That's all other people seem to need when they realize they are gender fluid: how do I dress and is this the right definition?

What's wrong with me that I need more?

I am a shapeless thing in a world of shapes and structures in a species that thinks in categories.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2014, 1:35 pm

There is nothing wrong with you that you just need more just because. There might be specific things that you find you need to exert a little bit more effort or less to get something done. As a word of advice and please don't take this the wrong way, but be yourself. I know you mentioned it. But by this platitude do it as comfortably as possible. Whatever clothes you wear or however you present yourself do it in a comfortable manner, whether it's physical comfort, or more abstractly emotional/mental. Yes you may end up out of your comfort zone when doing something you wouldn't normally do or have never done before. That's normal.

There will be exceptions due such as uniform requirements or dress codes, times and places where you have to do something you don't want to do, or things like exercise which you actually stress and wear your body to get stronger. But I can't stress this enough. Don't wear just anything or take action to fit an image that is physically uncomfortable, not your own, or of no benefit to you.

Initially I let myself be convinced by other trans individuals in the community I had to wear things a certain way, or do things their way, and I'd get hasseled if I didn't. My makeup was never good enough. One person would do it and it was well done, and the next transgirl would say it sucked. I'm not a full time girl yet. I have a lot of work I know I need to do and my AS f***s everything up. But there are days I still look male and I'm wearing 90% womens clothing and I don't look like a crossdresser. Maybe an effeminate gay male if anything which several people have thought upon the first time they met me. It's happened twice now where someone thought I was transitioning FTM instead of MTF. I have breasts that I can not hide unless it's winter and I can get away with wearing a coat or hoodie. I know it can get awkward when you run into people who can't label you and file your existence away.

Despite all the weirdness I am, It doesn't bother me that others may be bothered by it, because I know that if I'm comfortable and not stressed out panicking, then I'm good. If they take offense that I'm more relaxed and comfortable than they are. It's their prob I don't care.

It's good that you've found your boyfriend and friend to be capable to support you with you being you. It's taken me a while and I've made a few friends myself who I would probably describe to be the same. They support me in being me. It varies in effort, but it's there.

I hope that made sense... because I'm writing this out as fast as I type it.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

ReverieMe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Apr 2014, 2:47 pm

stardraigh wrote:
There is nothing wrong with you that you just need more just because. There might be specific things that you find you need to exert a little bit more effort or less to get something done. As a word of advice and please don't take this the wrong way, but be yourself. I know you mentioned it. But by this platitude do it as comfortably as possible. Whatever clothes you wear or however you present yourself do it in a comfortable manner, whether it's physical comfort, or more abstractly emotional/mental. Yes you may end up out of your comfort zone when doing something you wouldn't normally do or have never done before. That's normal.

There will be exceptions due such as uniform requirements or dress codes, times and places where you have to do something you don't want to do, or things like exercise which you actually stress and wear your body to get stronger. But I can't stress this enough. Don't wear just anything or take action to fit an image that is physically uncomfortable, not your own, or of no benefit to you.

Initially I let myself be convinced by other trans individuals in the community I had to wear things a certain way, or do things their way, and I'd get hasseled if I didn't. My makeup was never good enough. One person would do it and it was well done, and the next transgirl would say it sucked. I'm not a full time girl yet. I have a lot of work I know I need to do and my AS f**** everything up. But there are days I still look male and I'm wearing 90% womens clothing and I don't look like a crossdresser. Maybe an effeminate gay male if anything which several people have thought upon the first time they met me. It's happened twice now where someone thought I was transitioning FTM instead of MTF. I have breasts that I can not hide unless it's winter and I can get away with wearing a coat or hoodie. I know it can get awkward when you run into people who can't label you and file your existence away.

Despite all the weirdness I am, It doesn't bother me that others may be bothered by it, because I know that if I'm comfortable and not stressed out panicking, then I'm good. If they take offense that I'm more relaxed and comfortable than they are. It's their prob I don't care.

It's good that you've found your boyfriend and friend to be capable to support you with you being you. It's taken me a while and I've made a few friends myself who I would probably describe to be the same. They support me in being me. It varies in effort, but it's there.

I hope that made sense... because I'm writing this out as fast as I type it.

Your post does make sense, yes.

I do know that I can't live a fake life with a fake persona if I'm going to remain sane and healthy, and that I can only make so many concessions to the norm before I'm just hurting myself. Most of my life has been spent rationalizing away anything that didn't match my sex.

"Just be yourself" is problematic because oftentimes that's all that's said, and as a statement it ignores all the reasons why it's difficult, confusing, and troublesome to do so and denies me dialogue. It's a one-step solution to a complex problem, and one that I already know needs to be my end goal. What I need is to talk to people who can help me understand how to reach that end goal, how and when to assert my identity, and how I'm going to fit into the world now. People who've been where I am now and come through on the other side intact.

Again, there are no stories, books, or articles to guide me. I have only what other people will respond to me with.

Thanks for everything you've posted, by the way.