Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm

I've noticed a lot of aspies saying they are bisexual, (I am as well). It seems like it might be more common for AS people to be bisexual than for NT's...

What do you think?

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:35 pm

well, on OK Cupid, my matches tend to come up as bisexual. Maybe there is something there

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:38 pm

Depends, a lot of NT's are bisexual too - maybe I see this just because I hang out on the rock scene, bisexuals seem more common there too, or at least we have plenty of girls who say they're bisexual...but only kiss, boo!

IF aspies are more likely to be bisexual (or pansexual, or asexual) I'd think it would be because we can be less confined by social norms so being attracted to the opposite sex in some way isn't 'Ew, GROSS!' or unmanly/unfeminine, we are more tolerant to the lifestyle, more about contact with people and not male or female only.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm

I think most people probably have bisexual feelings at some points in their lives, but people on the spectrum are more likely to explore that aspect about ourselves and to be open about it because we're not confined to social norms in general.

Volodja
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 12:08 am

I think everyone's technically a bit bisexual (as in between 1 and 99 on a 0-100 scale) and people with As are probably slightly more likely to embrace that instead of just "being straight"

We might also be more introspective in general and therefore more likely to realise if we're bi

No idea

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2011, 12:55 am

Bloodheart wrote:
IF aspies are more likely to be bisexual (or pansexual, or asexual) I'd think it would be because we can be less confined by social norms

Agreed. I'm bi, and my only concern with it was that I was christian at the time. Once I determined that I was comfortable with it, and asked if my church was and was told no, the church was what went. I'm practical that way. :p (For the record - that wasn't when I became an atheist, no one jump down my throat.) As an example of trusting my own thoughts over social norms.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 1:27 am

No, people with aspergers are not more likely to be bisexual.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2011, 1:45 am

hale_bopp wrote:

How do you know? Do you have a study to back that up? Women with aspergers are more likely to be androgynous, so there's definitely something going on with gender.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 2:06 am

vileseagulls wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

How do you know? Do you have a study to back that up? Women with aspergers are more likely to be androgynous, so there's definitely something going on with gender.

Are they though? Or do you just overlook people who are androgynous who don't have a diagnosis of aspergers slapped in their face.

Maybe androgynous NT's don't like posting on internet message boards. Maybe they're overlooked.

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2011, 2:46 am

hale_bopp wrote:
vileseagulls wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Are they though? Or do you just overlook people who are androgynous who don't have a diagnosis of aspergers slapped in their face.

Maybe androgynous NT's don't like posting on internet message boards. Maybe they're overlooked.

I'm not talking about message boards - it's a commonly quoted trait when you research the symptoms. Pretty sure Simon Baron-Cohen says it too, though I can't remember where I read that (and I'm not a particular fan of his theories).

I don't mean to draw any conclusions - my question is why you are drawing conclusions - I don't think we can conclude anything without evidence, and I'm wondering what makes you so sure?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 3:28 am

The whole "bisexual" thing these days should be taken with a grain of salt. It's really trendy to be bisexual now you know, and trying to pick out real ones is as pointless as trying to say whether one brain type is more bisexual than others.

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2011, 3:33 am

Volodja wrote:
I think everyone's technically a bit bisexual (as in between 1 and 99 on a 0-100 scale) and people with As are probably slightly more likely to embrace that instead of just "being straight"

We might also be more introspective in general and therefore more likely to realise if we're bi.

This makes sense to me.

Bella1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2011, 3:39 am

hale_bopp wrote:
The whole "bisexual" thing these days should be taken with a grain of salt. It's really trendy to be bisexual now you know, and trying to pick out real ones is as pointless as trying to say whether one brain type is more bisexual than others.

It's trendy to be bisexual? As far as I've noticed, in standard society you are expected to conform to normal heterosexual ideals. Deviating from that makes a lot of people uncomfortable... I would never tell any of my friends or family that I am attracted to females. I've spent all my life in heterosexual relationships and have simply ignored that part of myself...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2011, 3:56 am

There are these things
called "boner dykes" who pretend to like women and talk about it around men so men will get turned on.

How is anyone supposed to know the difference between a real bisexual person and a boner dyke?

vileseagulls
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2011, 3:57 am

hale_bopp wrote:

Ouch, that's a bit harsh. You can call me gay if you prefer, I've been living with my partner for the last four years.

Seiblue
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2011, 4:18 am

hale_bopp wrote:

Conversely, it would seem to me that the whole "heterosexual" thing was trendy for a while. Sexuality is evidently more fluid than just straight and gay. I consider myself a gay man, but I have come into situations where this was challenged, and I have no problem reconsidering what it means for me to be gay.

Because fluid sexuality is looked down upon by much of the world, we're taught to think heterosexuality, and even among the gay community, exclusive homosexuality is proper and right. When we examine what it means to be sexual objectively, we find a world unexplored by the mainstream, be it lust or love.

I will agree to a very minimal extent that some women will say they're bi just to turn a man on, then kiss their best friend for like, EVER so they'll get railed later on. Simple manipulation tactic, and a general disrespect for the LGBT community, in my opinion.

People with AS being more likely to be one way, the other, or in between, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I take too long to reply to things.

How do you tell the difference? A bisexual woman is less likely to flaunt her bisexuality to gain a partner.