Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 1%  1%  [ 5 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Saxophone / clarinet / oboe etc 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Trumpet / trombone / tuba / serpent etc 3%  3%  [ 12 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Piano / harmonium / piano accordian / button accordian / organ etc 6%  6%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 398

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2005, 4:03 pm

I've been playing the piano for 2 years now.I really enjoy it.But I can't read notes,I play by ear.I also want ot learn guitar and violen.

-SpaceCase :)

crimethinkful
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2005, 11:55 pm

I'm a double bassist, French horn player and classical/jazz vocalist... I'm also working on an honours thesis concerning gender performance and masculinities in Wagner's Ring Cycle operas... this should prove interesting (to me, anyhow.)

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2005, 4:30 am

crimethinkful wrote:
I'm a double bassist, French horn player and classical/jazz vocalist... I'm also working on an honours thesis concerning gender performance and masculinities in Wagner's Ring Cycle operas... this should prove interesting (to me, anyhow.)

wow !

Ever play in an orchestra ?

I really wanna learn double bass, do you have your own or rent one ? It seems a bit daunting to learn though - fretless 8O

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 6:52 am

SpaceCase wrote:
I've been playing the piano for 2 years now.I really enjoy it.But I can't read notes,I play by ear.I also want ot learn guitar and violen.

-SpaceCase :)

what kinda guitar?

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2005, 10:14 am

I officially play violin, viola, clarinet, bass clarinet, and have just started to learn the piano; but I'm trying to teach myself oboe and cello as well. I'd teach myself sax, flute and all the other woodwind instruments (especially harmony instruments) if I had the time/money/instruments but I don't. So I have to be content with having a go on my friends' instruments :)

I started because I went along to the audition for violin and was chosen. I think I went along to that because I liked playing the recorder (and was kind of good if I may say so myself) but I'm not entirely sure. I started clarinet because I missed my flute audition, and Mum suggested I try out for clarinet instead, so I did. Viola because I find violin a little cramped and the high notes do funny things to my ears, and because I found a viola at school and had a go at it. Even though it had fraying strings and no chin-rest ... Piano because we were given one a couple of years ago, and I tried to teach myself a few pieces but now my friend gives lessons at a cheap rate. Oboe because I found one at school and had an obsession at the time anyway, and cello because my sister's just started and I like the sound it makes.

Passion for music; protectivesness over 'my' instruments and a strong sense of loyalty towards them (defend viole!); outlet sometimes; profession in the future. Plus I get quite depressed and jumpy if I don't play an instrument at least once every other day (ideally I should practise every day I know, but sometimes that's just not possible.)

Yay go music!

UnconfirmedAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2005, 8:07 pm

Piano, recorder, flute, oboe, guitar. Yep. 8)

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 8:49 pm

I started learning to play guitar in my teens (between skateboarding sessions so I didn't get far, heh) and managed to learn three or four chords, i.e. just enough to annoy the crap out of my dad. :twisted: I always wanted to learn bass - I have finally decided to act on it so I'm saving up for a bass and amp now... 8)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 12:31 pm

Bass is cool 8) I can kind of play it if I concentrate really hard. Lol my friend (who's a music genius and can play anything he wants, really) couldn't play it, but after 9 years of violin I could get my wrist into position :mrgreen: so I could play it! Yay!

silph
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2005, 1:01 pm

I now only play the bass guitar - (gear is: Ibanez SDGR (wooden body, thin neck, active pickups) and Fender 300W combo amp) - but to begin with, at seven I started on the violin, moved to the clarinet, then to the viola, all the while singing. I no longer remember how to play strings, but I played the clarinet for enough years to never forget it (even if my skills are terribly rusty). Been playing the bass on and off for about eight years now, I took it up to form a band with my three friends who were guitarists and a drummer.

If I had sufficient motivation to practice more than one instrument regularly, I'd immediately take up the clarinet & singing again, and start on three other instruments: the soprano saxophone, because it melds what I love about the saxophonic sound with the clarinet's features; the piano, because it is so incredibly versatile and there are simply too many good pieces I wish I could recreate; and the cello, because -nothing- else can create that unbelievably satisfying texture =)

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2005, 11:10 am

i play guitar, i love music alot, mostly metal though.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Nov 2005, 11:56 am

I really want a bass guitar now.

Was playing my 6 string electric yesterday like it was a bass guitar. Shame the strings were so thin i kept plucking the wrong string.

So im gonna save up for a bass guitar now :)

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 12:06 am

I played the drums in high school but i've been playing guitar for 5 years, have an ashton slimline acoustic with pick up. Mostly now i do composition for film on the computer with my synth.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2005, 6:58 am

mjs82 wrote:
Mostly now i do composition for film on the computer with my synth.

Hey im trying to do the same. May I hear some of your music ?

What kinda synth do you have and which software do you use ?

LawrenceFAMD
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2005, 5:48 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
queerpuppy wrote:
What instrument(s) do you play?

Why did you choose to start?

How long have you played for?

Is it a passion? A pastime? A profession? An outlet for emotions, or an alternative means of self-expression?

Well, I used to play guitar - started that because a cousin that I really looed up to was in a grunge metal band (besides, I just liked music that much). I played from 5th grade to my junior year of highschool when I realized for one that I couldn't start a band that wasn't a babysitting project and also when my tastes in music changed.

What do I play now? I just produce. I jam out and mix on my Yamaha RS7000. I have in addition ot that a Roland 840GX digital recording workstation but it doesn't get much use except for providing an intermediary between my RS7000 and Goldwave on my computer (which is what I ultimately save my tracks to for recording and then use Electronic Cosmo to cut many of them down to 192kbps mp3 files to share online). When I graduated highschool, my present to myself was a Roland MC-505. I ended up selling that for a Novation Nova, tried an Emu Extreme Lead 7 for a while but didn't like it, I ended up with a Yamaha RM1x after that (which I loved dearly) after which I upgraded to an RS7000 which pretty much is to the RM1x what the MC 505 Groovebox was to the MC 303.

My goals right now are to graduate college, get a degree, and once that's settled I'll probably invest more in music. My main thought is to get my hands on a pair of Technics SL-1200 MKIII's and a mixer for djing and if I can get my hands on an Access Virus Indigo and a Waldorf Pulse Plus for pretty cheap I imagine I'll do that too (I REALLY need something that can output some monster sickbass).

Started with guitar -- a crummy Hondo, though later got a Jagmaster, Bullet and a Jazz Bass. But I record electronic music now and I started with a Korg Poly 800 I got for only $100. Since last year I managed to buy a whole load of other synths. The ones I most use are:

Roland D-50
Yamaha DX7
Casio CZ-1

And then more recently I found a Fender Rhodes Chroma Polaris, which are supposedly hard to find but I didn't actually spend an arm-and-a-leg on it. That was originally designed by the old ARP company before they went under.

And now have been using an ARP Odyssey, which again was lucky to get privately for not-too-much money. One of the old synths Joy Division recorded with long ago. Mostly now been using it as my lead synth...

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 11:42 am

I played brass instruments at school, first the trumpet, then Eb horn (imagine a baby tuba)

I always struggled with the sheet music, especially in the large orchestras and brass band, which overwhelmed & fazed my concentration. Eventually I just gave up trying to follow the ‘2nd Eb horn’ part and just started improvising, creating my own little musical commentary as I went along.

No one seemed to notice, but I was always wary that one day id mess up and be outed as a fraud and musically illiterate bufoon.

During rehearsal, the conductor would keep stopping abruptly and going ‘Hmmm… somethings not quite right…. - lets hear just the euphoniums by themselves…ok, that’s good…lets hear 2nd trumpets from the bridge…. No, that’s not it….psych, is that 2nd or 1st Eb horn?’ I d be thinking ‘this is it, im finished!’ but somehow, playing solo I always managed to get away with it. In retrospect, its possible she knew all along, and didn’t want to ridicule or exclude me.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2005, 11:58 am

LawrenceFAMD wrote:
Started with guitar -- a crummy Hondo, though later got a Jagmaster, Bullet and a Jazz Bass. But I record electronic music now and I started with a Korg Poly 800 I got for only $100. Since last year I managed to buy a whole load of other synths. The ones I most use are:

Roland D-50
Yamaha DX7
Casio CZ-1

And then more recently I found a Fender Rhodes Chroma Polaris, which are supposedly hard to find but I didn't actually spend an arm-and-a-leg on it. That was originally designed by the old ARP company before they went under.

And now have been using an ARP Odyssey, which again was lucky to get privately for not-too-much money. One of the old synths Joy Division recorded with long ago. Mostly now been using it as my lead synth...

I love old acid-house and the older,darker psy/acid-trance and ive always fancied getting a couple of TB303's and jamming along to fruity-loops or something, but their a bit too expensive for just messing about with.

I might be starting a course of anti-deps next week, so perhaps ill have a hypomanic episode and go on a spending spree! :D