Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Redders
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2007, 12:55 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to know what it was like for you lot to go to your first gigs if you'v ever been to one, as I'm going to my first in February to see Elliot Minor :D

So anyone know what I could expect?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 1:02 pm

What to expect depends on the type of venue, whether or not it is all-ages, and the type of show. I don't know anything about Elliott Minor, but I have been to countless gigs. I don't even remember my first one.

-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2007, 1:07 pm

My first concert was Rush... I was way in the back with some empty seats in front of me, and I didn't know at the time that I probably could have moved forward. And I was kind of upset after the stupid lady at the t-shirt stand ripped me off (I gave her $30 and told her which shirt I wanted, then she got distracted and forgot I had given her the money... so no shirt). But all around, it was still a lot of fun. Quite a bit louder than I expected.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 1:16 pm

I'm not sure who Elliot Minor is, but if it's a rock/ heavy metal gig, start growing your hair long now - it's much more fun when you're head-banging! Oh yeah, usually a mosh-pit starts up (e.g. where a circle forms and people start shoving each other around - a bit like play fighting. You don't have to join in if you don't want though). And bring earplugs in case you get shoved near the speakers! Have fun!! ! :D

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 4:21 pm

Yeah, like somebody else said it totally depends on the venue, probably audience, nature of the music, age restrictions, time of day, etc.

My first gig was Alec Empire supported by the Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, (who I actually preferred and went to see a further twenty times...)

These days I prefer to go to small gigs, preferably of the fiver on the door variety.

Redders
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2007, 5:52 pm

This is a song of Elliot Minor's, called "The White One Is Evil":

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsqFqaBNqkc&feature=related[/youtube]

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2007, 4:28 am

well elliot minor doesnt seem like too wild a band, so your worst fear should be having some 120 pound kid fall on you from crowd surfing hahahaha.

when i go to my favorite types of gigs, hardcore shows, everyone there is under constant threat of being thrashed to death, but its all in good fun :D

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2007, 4:57 pm

sarahstilettos wrote:
Yeah, like somebody else said it totally depends on the venue, probably audience, nature of the music, age restrictions, time of day, etc.

My first gig was Alec Empire supported by the Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster, (who I actually preferred and went to see a further twenty times...)

These days I prefer to go to small gigs, preferably of the fiver on the door variety.

Hah 80s matchbox B-line disaster!! I used to hang out with the lead singer a bit when I studied in Brighton. He is suprisingly very quiet compared to his on stage persona.

What are they up to these days? I heard the record company dropped them :(

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 5:35 pm

Jonny wrote:
sarahstilettos wrote:

Hah 80s matchbox B-line disaster!! I used to hang out with the lead singer a bit when I studied in Brighton. He is suprisingly very quiet compared to his on stage persona.

What are they up to these days? I heard the record company dropped them :(

Island dropped them but that was a long time ago - Andy Huxley also left and got replaced. They are still about and it shouldn't be too long before they release more stuff. I'm not too hopeful because I thought Andy was a pretty integral part of it, but they still put on a great live show.

Yeah, Guy's a sweetie, I find him a bit 'mystical' and far out to really have a conversation with! I get on better with Tom and Sym who are more down to earth. Their manager is also great fun.

MrGrey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 12:26 pm

The first decent sized gig I went to was Rancid, supported by The Unseen and Strawberry Blondes. Was a good one, nice crowd, fun had by all.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 1:17 pm

Elliot Minor are pop-punk to the max. Expect a fairly easy, but lively mosh pit, mostly composed of people aged 15 and under.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2007, 9:41 am

sarahstilettos wrote:
Island dropped them but that was a long time ago - Andy Huxley also left and got replaced. They are still about and it shouldn't be too long before they release more stuff. I'm not too hopeful because I thought Andy was a pretty integral part of it, but they still put on a great live show.

Yeah, Guy's a sweetie, I find him a bit 'mystical' and far out to really have a conversation with! I get on better with Tom and Sym who are more down to earth. Their manager is also great fun.

I've never met the other guys. Apparently Guy doesnt really get on with them that well.

Its good to hear they are still active.

So do you live in Brighton?

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Dec 2007, 8:10 pm

There's some confusion in the language here; to us musicians, gig means a professional engagement! I had hoped this was where I could talk about my first gig :?

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"

Dreamweaver

27 Dec 2007, 8:06 pm

I've seen 80's Matchbox once - wasn't my cup of tea though. Mt first gig of any kind was Status Quo in Birmingham. First metal gig was Cradle of Filth/Akercocke/Immolation in Norwich

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 9:27 am

I don't remember what my first concert was. I was dragged to lots when I was little with my parents. M uncle was in a band...my parents would take me to see concerts at Rice University.

As a teenager, I recall my earliest concerts as being Fairport Convention, Dred Zeppelin, and They Might Be Giants....all of these were with my parents..or just my dad and his friends.

The title of this thread made me think of musical "gig"s..as in performing...I joined a band at the age of 15 and my first "gig" was the Senior lock-in...this big sleepover that happened at my high school on graduation night to prevent the Seniors from drunk-driving accidents. It was less than a week after I joined the band...I was horrible.

My second gig was at a keg party at an automotive shop....

My first "club gig" was at an icehouse called the Pic n' Pak....my band opened for Comatoast...a sorta shock-punk..weirdo...something band that had a rubber exploding corpse on stage that spewed fake blood everywhere.

kicken18

28 Dec 2007, 3:36 pm

Mine was Creamfields this year. For those that don't know, it's a MASSIVE dance music festivle of 15 hours in the north of England. Best bit of seeing The Chemicle Brothers live, there are plenty of video's on youtube, unfortunatly nearly all are bad qulity phone camera's but still some good videos, the visuals where crazy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JT5pDHkOk4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vPtffuIS3I0&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xjvXSb5TjRk - Good Sound Quality; was Best moment, like 15,000 pill heads singing their head off to the corus of that song...or maybe just me haha

Not really a "gig" in that sense, but was 15 hours of amazing music