Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2008, 3:12 pm

I am a huge fan of classic rock. My favorite band of all time is The Beatles, followed by, in loose order, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Grateful Dead, Derek and the Dominoes/Cream, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd... I love plenty of other stuff too. Early Allman Brothers, Janis Joplin, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Aerosmith...

By the way, I'm highly involved in playing guitar... if anyone in my area with similar musical taste would like to jam sometime, please, let me know.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:17 am

Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead.

I am a gigantic fan of the Floyd, an even bigger one than my dad is (because he never got into pre-Meddle Pink Floyd. In fact, i'm surprised he OWNS Meddle).

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 10:21 am

Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Who, The Yardbirds, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Rolling Stones, Queen, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Iggy & The Stooges, The Beatles, Velvet Underground, AC/DC, The Eagles, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, Sex Pistols, Hawkwind, David Bowie.

Last edited by Nico on 22 Feb 2008, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

21 Feb 2008, 11:37 am

im suprised bob seger hasnt been mentioned, btw rocklobster i like your avatar :)

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2008, 4:15 pm

I was raisedd on it and I'm glad I was, most of my CD selesction consisits of Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The doors, Pink Floyd Among others, I even burned entire MC5 albums

Last edited by loudmouth on 26 Feb 2008, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 8:59 pm

Velvet Underground
Led Zeppelin
Heart
David Bowie
Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd
and lots more...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 4:05 pm

with a name like 'rock lobster', you think the B52s would come in here somewhere...;)

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 2:42 am

I too, am a classic rock fan.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 5:29 pm

Alot of bands

Eric Clapton
Beatles
The Grateful Dead
The Who
Janis Joplin
Jefferson Airplane
Jimi Hendrix
Mott the Hoople
David Bowie
Joe Cocker
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Guess Who
The Doors

OK, I could go on. Love em all. My parents were around this generation so I guess it's passed on. *************************************************************

ROCK ON!

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2009, 7:39 pm

Pink Floyd (ever since I was 2, still my all time favorite), along with David Gilmour and Roger Waters during their solo careers
Led Zeppelin, with a little Robert Plant to follow
The Who
Queen
Alice Cooper
The Rolling Stones
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Aerosmith
Boston
Dire Straits
The Beatles
Deep Purple
Uriah Heep
A little BTO
List goes on...

oldhomehaibane
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2009, 8:31 pm

Yes, I'm a fan.

Love
Derek and the Dominoes
The Velvet Underground
The Zombies
Captain Beefheart
The Band
The Who
Cream
The Beatles

These are just some of my favorites, there is more that I listen to.

Does anybody else here like Love? I don't think anybody in this thread has mentioned them yet. Forever Changes is one of my favorite albums.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 7:35 pm

pakled wrote:
wow..some serious fans out there.

Considering it's 2008, classic rock probably now includes

Red Hot chili peppers
Soundgarden
Curve
Cult
Cure
Sweet
Madness
English Beat

ok...I'll stop

Chili Peppers and Soundgarden, yeah, they prob'ly qualify by now (not to mention various other '90s rockers like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, The Offspring, and maybe Foo Fighters). The Cult, to a certain extent, are classic rock ("Love Removal Machine", "Edie [Ciao Baby]", "Fire Woman", "She Sells Sanctuary", "Li'l Devil", and "Wild Flower" kinda sound like AC/DC songs IMO - then again, "Edie" sounds more like a Scorpions song and "Sanctuary" sounds almost U2-ish)
In my opinion, Curve is too obscure to qualify (though some of you guys have ALSO listed obscure bands - I would more qualify a lot of those as either "classic indie" and/or "psychedelic" - "classic rock" just has too many mainstream connotations to me). Sweet have qualified for quite some time (generally seen as 3-hit-wonders on classic rock radio - for "Ballroom Blitz", "Fox On the Run", and "Love Is Like Oxygen") - unless you meant MATTHEW Sweet :P . The Cure, Madness, and The English Beat never had enough mainstream appeal to make them "classic rock" IMO. True, The Cure have a couple well-known songs (and Madness, of course, has "Our House"), but they never appealed to the same fanbase of the other "alternative" acts that are typically included in classic rock - The Police, The Pretenders, The Cars, Peter Gabriel, U2, and (if he qualifies as "alternative") David Bowie - and to a lesser extent The Clash, Talking Heads, R.E.M., INXS, The Fixx, and Elvis Costello. You could count Joan Jett and Billy Idol in the classic rock/classic alt "crossover" section as well (both of them started in punk bands), but to me their solo work is more classic rock than classic alt.

Slipperman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2009, 7:47 pm

I'm a fan of classic rock, especially progressive rock.

Yes
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues
Styx
UK
Pink Floyd
Goblin
Electric Light Orchestra
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Gary Wright
Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

Last edited by Slipperman on 15 Sep 2009, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GriffinGuitar12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 7:51 pm

a lot of my faves are classic rock bands that often crossover into the "classic alternative" territory - The Police, The Pretenders, U2, Peter Gabriel, stuff like that. As I mentioned in my prev. post, classic rock OCCASIONALLY includes bands like The Clash, Talking Heads, R.E.M., and Elvis Costello, and they're all faves o' mine! :D

My favorite "mainstream" (I guess "non-alternative" would be a better term, lol) classic rock acts? Those would be like Springsteen, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, stuff like that with a sorta "folky" bent to it - this extends even further back as well to bands/artists like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young, but I mentioned him already, lol :P ), Van Morrison, and, of course, The Beatles ;) (BTW, Lennon's my fave Beatle and the one of whom I like the most solo recordings by!) Some Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan, too, though not necessarily everything in their catalog.

Since most '90s acts currently lumped in with '60s/'70s/'80s classic rock stations tend to primarily be grunge/post-grunge (or an otherwise aggressive but accessible form of "alternative" rock), it's hard to say whether or not any of my fave bands from that decade (besides Pearl Jam) would qualify as "classic rock". As far as bands KLOS (my local classic rocker) has played during their "A to Z" countdowns that are '90s bands that I really like? Those would be like Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Dave Matthews Band, Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis (they've played "Wonderwall" in the past two editions of A to Z...can't imagine "Champagne Supernova" will be far behind...), Counting Crows, and stuff like that (Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know" was also played in the last two A to Z's, but I dunno if they'd play any of her other material, aside from maybe "Ironic"). Goo Goo Dolls is probably the only band out of these that might have a chance at being considered "classic rock" for what the '90s definition seems to be ("Long Way Down" and "Naked" are both pretty aggressive songs for the Goos, and popular enough to be "fan-favorites", so I can see those maybe getting airplay on some classic rock stations that lump in '90s material with their already established material from the previous 3 decades).

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2009, 8:36 pm

led zepplin
the who
rolling stones
pink floyd
genesis
moody blues
emerson lake and palmer-------and before ; kingcrimson(in the court of the crimson king)
yes

mrandysmiley
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2009, 8:44 am

I looooovvveee Classic Rock.

Beatles (and solo careers of John Lennon & George Harrison)
Stones
Who
Kinks
Traffic/Blind Faith/Steve Winwood
Cream/Derek & The Dominos/Eric Clapton
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Tom Petty (& The Heartbreakers)
Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne era)
Deep Purple (Mark II)
and many more.

I have recently gotten into 80's alternative music/punk rock and more singer-songwriters and folk but I will always have a place in my musical taste for Classic Rock.