Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ethamin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2006, 10:23 am

In the English language, is it better to use the word 'I' in the capital form continually, while you write, or should you use the small form 'i' when the word does not start at the beginning of a sentence? A bit confusing to me? I'am dyslectic, so if someone could give some advice i / I would appreciate it.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 10:26 am

In english, the word 'I' is always capitalized.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 12:17 am

The only reason "I" meaning "me" is not capitalized is some people are too slack to use the caps lock, or they can't figure out where it is on their phone.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 10:32 am

wobbegong wrote:
The only reason "I" meaning "me" is not capitalized is some people are too slack to use the caps lock, or they can't figure out where it is on their phone.

Lol I'm too slack for the caps lock. I use 'shift' instead :P :wink:

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2006, 12:55 pm

I'll help you out. If you use an I at the start of a word, like 'idea', then it depends on where in the sentence it is. Capitalize at the beginning, leave it alone anywhere else. HOWEVER, if you are refering to yourself, always capitalize. You always capitalize the first letters of any words in a proper noun, like 'I', or 'San Fransisco'. Got that?

natalia
Raven
Raven

03 Jul 2006, 1:00 pm

some people like to not capitalize anything, not even the beginning of sentences or names or the word "I" ... this includes me in some moods (like the way i feel right now when typing this post. but it's totally WRONG to not capitalize "I" (as in, myself) if you are concerned with correct english-language spelling.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 10:32 am

i dont like capatalizing i at all. if i capatalize anything its very random

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 11:36 pm

"I" as used in 1st person (talking about yourself) is capitalised. That and at the start of a sentence is the only time you capitaise it.

I'm
I am
I will
I

ect all capitalised when you're using "I" on it's own"

nouns such as ice, iceberg, inappropriate don't get capitalised except at the start ofa sentence.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2006, 11:50 pm

I agree that in formal english ie business type writing I sould be upper case. For informal writing the guide lines can be be more relaxed. Think of formal writing as a code that unlocks and shows off your command of english rules :-)