With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (ANN Review)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 10:24 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/right-turn-only/2010-03-30

Anime News Network wrote:
WITH THE LIGHT: RAISING AN AUTISTIC CHILD
(by Keiko Tobe, Yen Press, $14.99 ea.)

One day I scanned my eyes through the manga section at my usual bookstore, until they came across a thick book with the big, bold title words, With the Light-Raising an Autistic Child. Was this really a manga? I grabbed it, paged through it, and found out that, yes, it was. While there are plenty of shoujo drama releases, I never thought there was one existing title that revolved around a sensitive albeit significant subject matter, one that personally hits close to home for me. I purchased it, read it, and I have to say that this is a must-read for manga readers that should be more aware of it.

The story starts off with Sachiko having her firstborn son, who she named Hikaru, and having the highest hopes for a wonderful family life. That idealism breaks later on when Hikaru refuses any and all physical affection from his mother, but that was just the beginning. He develops into a very difficult child for reasons Sachiko cannot fathom, annoying the people around them, making her suffer a breakdown, almost tearing her life apart. Fortune arrives when she finds just the right doctor that diagnoses Hikaru as autistic, and provides her with the information and support she needs, even offering her the chance to connect with other parents going through the same thing. Sachiko slowly but surely rebounds, coming to accept the family she has, and adjusts her whole life and world around Hikaru, helping him develop in a way that is convenient to his needs.

So each following volume follows Hikaru as he grows up from baby, to child, to currently teenager, and to adult in future volumes, shedding light on the difficulties as well as the accomplishments. With the Light leaves room for educational dialogue on what autism is and its different variants, and how people can treat or deal with it. But it is just as much a very real human drama, making a very realistic portrayal of how there are just as many people who are open-minded and flexible and are willing to help Hikaru, as there are those who find disabled people annoying and prefer they were not around for their own convenience. What is most touching is the impact Hikaru and other disabled kids leaves on people's lives around them as it is the other way around.

With the Light is a wonderful manga series through and through. Each volume is thick and may take up some shelf space, but I am well proud of collecting this series for my library.

This gets a +1 like from me not only because it shows that a fufilling life with autism is possible, but also because it bashes the stereotype that anime/manga is all large-breasted girls and giant robots. A big arigato gozaimasu to Keiko Tobe.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 10:44 pm

That's great! I saw it in the library a few years ago, should go back to pick it up!

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2010, 10:32 pm

I heard about this manga. I want to read it so badly.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 2:53 am

I'm working on a comic about a girl with AS myself. Ironicaly, it's called Wrong Planet.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:08 pm

I just had this idea for a novel about a rebellious adolescent boy who develops a friendship with his younger, recently adopted brother, who has an odd combination of AS, HFA and classic autism.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 11:30 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I just had this idea for a novel about a rebellious adolescent boy who develops a friendship with his younger, recently adopted brother, who has an odd combination of AS, HFA and classic autism.

Mine is about a girl who finds an orphaned baby space alien and as they grow up together (her parents adopt it as another child but know he is an alien) the girl confesses she feels like an alien. The neighbors think he is from another country and only the girl, her parents, the girl's best freind (who is deaf and wheelchair bound and more aware than people give her credit for), and the Catholic priest know of the alien's true herritage and accept him as he is. The government knows too and tries to kidnap him now and then.