Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:53 pm

When I was 14-15 years old, I was obsessed with Naruto. But my 19 year old self can't comprehend exactly what I saw in such a series that made me like it. Looking back, it's very childish, cliche and overrated. It kind of reminds me of Twilight in those regards.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2010, 10:41 pm

I have to agree with you. I used to watch Naruto until they've put the fillers. I would watch Shippuuden, but then I don't watch anime anymore. Just saw someone who was obssessed with it and it really creeped me out (though I do buy Japanese songs. If it weren't for the Japanese songs, I wouldn't even watch the openings.)

Dalton_Man321
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2010, 12:36 am

Never have and never will. Anime in itself is overrated.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2010, 5:23 am

I was obsessed with it and the fourth season of Digimon when I was 13.
But I also really enjoyed Dragonball Z, Dragonball and Dragonball GT.
I do not really mind the inaccuracies.
Like I mentioned, I like Dragonball and its offspring and I liked Naruto too for the nice battles.
I also did not mind the long talks, they were nice.
Also, it should probably be "A THING THAT I HATE" instead of "THINGS THAT I HATE" because you only mention Naruto.

arilevanah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm

I was REALLY into Naruto just before it came out in the US. I enjoyed the way that Masashi Kishimoto told the story (and how he developed the characters) and noticed that for the most part it improved on alot of things I hated with a passion about Dragon Ball/Z. (Naruto himself reminded me alot of myself as a kid way back in the day, so I got a chuckle out of that too.)

What got me out of Naruto was when it broke in the States.... and all the mispronounciations and bad dubbing. I also had alot of major life changes that caused me to feel extremely disconnected with anime fandom in general.

By the way, what Naruto said in the Japanese original, was "dattebayo". It's not even remotely close to "Believe it!" in Japanese, it's more of a verbal explanation point, or emphasis, if memory serves me right.

ETA I still have my headband/hitai-ate. Totally embarrassing, but it's kind of a keepsake.

Wintergreen_ink
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Apr 2010, 6:27 pm

The reason I don't like Naruto is simply because I don't like it.
The reason I curse Naruto with every fiber of my being is because of people.
To explain, I have had a few incidents with Naruto fans.

The first part of my annoyance is the fact that people will find out I'm into manga and anime and they'll be all like "Oh! I love anime too!" and when I ask them what kind they always say "Naruto!" and nothing else. Maybe Bleach too if I'm lucky, but I don't really like that series either. I just find it tolerable. But it's stupid, because they go around saying they're anime fans, but all they watch/read is Naruto. That's not called being an anime fan. That's called being a Naruto fan, my dear little idiots.

The second part of my annoyance is the fact that after I tell them I'm not into Naruto they LOOK LIKE I JUST KILLED THEIR CAT IN FRONT OF THEM or something. It's horrible. They won't let me not like it. WTF One time a Naruto fan even threw a rock at me when I said I didn't like it. It didn't hurt much, but still, that was extreme and from someone old enough to know better.

Gah, and also the time I was in art class and I was reading Natsume Yuujinchou (Natusme's Book of Friends) and this girl lit up with a smile and asked me what I was reading. I was thinking 'Wow, she recognizes it? No way.' When I told her what I was reading she said in a snobby voice "Oh, well, I only read Naruto." and sauntered off. Internally, my jaw dropped and my nerdrage hit maximum. It'd be a funny memory if it didn't still kind of disgust me. :?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 7:26 pm

I've never watched a single episode of Naruto so it wouldn't really be fair for me to judge it. I have watched a Youtube video that was a montage of the title character saying "believe it" and that did get sort of annoying.

Really my only anime obsession is Sailor Moon. I also like Case Closed (a.k.a. Detective Conan). I also recall getting a little into Fullmetal Alchemist.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 4:38 am

Naruto would have been better if Kishimoto could actually write worth a damn, and also if he wasn't so insistent on passing his characters off as ninja, which they clearly are not - they are actually a bunch of over-the-top martial artists with crazy-ass powers.
As of right now the only truly good thing that the series has going for it is Killer Bee.

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 4:53 am

Maddkow wrote:
Code Geass and FMA:Brotherhood ftw....

Actually, Code Geass sucked too. It was yet another case of "good idea, bad execution".
Clamp was seriously out of their element when they did the artwork for the series, and their involvement in its production killed a lot of whatever story/design potential the series could have had. (in many ways it was like Gundam Seed all over again) The only really good thing about it was the mech designs. That said, Clamp really should just stick to doing shoujo, it's what they're good at.
On the other hand, FMA Brotherhood is actually pretty good. Much better than I thought it would be. However, the manga is still far superior in every possible way.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 12:59 pm

Quote:
1. There's too many damn episodes (if you've already read my blog from the beginning, you would know that I don't like long animes, you see, I prefer the shorter animes 50-episodes at max)

it's going to have tons of episodes. it's a shonen series they all do.

Quote:
2. There's too many damn fillers (can't you guys PLEASE get to the point already?)

the anime comes out faster than the manga so they have to fill in the time in between chapter releases with something to keep the viewers interested.

Quote:
3. How the hell is Naruto supposed to be a ninja? Ninjas are supposed to be stealthy and dress in black, not loud, annoying and dressed in orange!

mystical ninjas , there's (apparently) a difference, also they have casual Fridays.

Quote:
4. STOP SAYING "Belive It!" It's so annoying!

that's (I believe) an American dub thing.

Quote:
5. I USED to like Naruto, but I don't anymore because I watched so much of it till it got to the point where I just wanted to rip my own ears off

overly long anime series do tend to make people lose interest quickly,
Example: whats that we just defeated the ultimate bad guy? but wait who is this new challenger, queue another 100 episode arc detailing how they beat him up.