Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:29 pm

Is anyone else seeing this all over Yahoo and other sites? Its not the off performance that caught my attention (which admittedly it wasn't her at her best) but the comments made that critics kinda have it in for her over what they consider a questional past or credentials. Does anyone have an idea what they're on about?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 1:43 pm

i dunno what incident you're on about, but i've seen her singing live on a few shows and she doesn't seem to be quite as good a singer as the records lead you to believe:/. i think she's from a very rich background and some people think maybe she's bought rather than earnt her sudden rise to fame?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:01 pm

Saturday Night Live last weekend. She's a yank and part of the problem might have been that yeah, I get the impression that she's really a producer first and foremost, a singer second. Apparently she had less of a bout of nerves with overseas audiences but coming back here was more than she really handled well.

What you mentioned though - that was my first thought but I was really hoping I was wrong. Where that line of thinking hits home with me - I had a cousin who I looked up to most of my childhood, manic depression and drug abuse took him in his early 30's, but the guy was a musical genius, did have a lot on his plate in life, but at the same time - he didn't really work much and its true, his parents essentially bought him a $30k studio in his basement. If the left is going to be so bat541t crazy in our country that the right to having something to say or express is measured on how much money you did or didn't start life with, its really a sick and distorted world we're getting into. Clearly anyone without poverty has no struggles, no pain, and no urgency from dreams on the edge of the steam-roller's wheel. :roll:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:15 pm

i think it's more the seeming injustice of all those talented people out there who will never get the chance to make it, yet being born rich appears to give you a free meal ticket career-wise. not just in music i think. when i went to uni a lot of the people there had it way easier imo because they could just get internships etc through a family connection of some sort. all my family work bottom of the triangle jobs:/.

i saw her on a uk show and thought she sounded rubbish too. i remember someone mentioning nerves about being in the uk performing for the first time. didn't see SNL though. i don't mind so much because i quite like some of the music she produces, so far anyway (apparently she hasn't even released an album, which also left people disgruntled about her getting such a bit tv spot). but i can see how people might think it unfair after seeing some lousy performances. I'm sure if she was rich and performed well people wouldn't have a problem with her having the extra help as she would seem deserving- it's just the idea of buying talent

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:25 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by purchase on 18 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

OSB:

In some respects that criticism is at least more honest and understandable but, the ironic thing: I'd swear - if its not Britney, Christina, Justin, or someone along those lines we're either beating them over the head with a shovel to they go to Europe or trying to bury them so deep that they never make it. Even if we had dozens of Adele's I don't think they'd ever make it here. For some odd reason we had loads of talent in the early and mid 90's, groundbreaking singers and bands, and then it seemed like we were on a mission to bury anything that was forward-thinking or real in any emotional sense.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 3:03 pm

Purchase:

I've kinda just been finding out the last couple months myself. Clearly from what I've posted below (hearing it first time), I hear what I'd swear is some clear Tricky & Martina influence. It might actually in a way be her MTB'ishness that's got me interested in the first place. :?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYCMQcQ3KA[/youtube]

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
i dunno what incident you're on about, but i've seen her singing live on a few shows and she doesn't seem to be quite as good a singer as the records lead you to believe:/. i think she's from a very rich background and some people think maybe she's bought rather than earnt her sudden rise to fame?

Lol, sounds very Kim Kardashian.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 3:14 pm

The blame should be on SNL for putting her up in the first place.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 3:51 pm

XXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by purchase on 18 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

purchase wrote:
Ah neat, I will have to listen to this Tricky and Martina! I noticed LDR's voice does some Shakiralike things too.

Here's one place where my Martina example might jump out. No, she's clearly not a carbon copy but you can hear it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR78TIf3A8s

And the Tricky-type influences:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlMqF0YfSw0

CWulf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2012, 5:23 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
purchase wrote:
Ah neat, I will have to listen to this Tricky and Martina!

Can't even believe you know who Martina Topley-Bird is! There's no way that I leave these forums!

Nebulo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:36 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Is anyone else seeing this all over Yahoo and other sites? Its not the off performance that caught my attention (which admittedly it wasn't her at her best) but the comments made that critics kinda have it in for her over what they consider a questional past or credentials. Does anyone have an idea what they're on about?

I'm not sure if purchase addressed this question, as he has removed everything from this thread for some reason. Just in case, I'll do so.

From what I've read the questionable past/credentials relate not entirely to her coming from wealth, but rather her musical past. I don't remember specifics, but they shouldn't be difficult to track down if you're desparate, but apparently ms. 'del ray' was in one or two musical acts prior to this.
Both were big flops, and didn't get her any of the popularity she seemingly craved, so second or third time lucky with a more pretentious name and hey presto, all of a sudden she's the least critically successful artist to ever appear on SNL. *

*I have no opinion on this matter, just regurgitating what I believe to have read earlier.

enchantedaprilchels
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2012, 11:05 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Purchase:

I've kinda just been finding out the last couple months myself. Clearly from what I've posted below (hearing it first time), I hear what I'd swear is some clear Tricky & Martina influence. It might actually in a way be her MTB'ishness that's got me interested in the first place. :?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUYCMQcQ3KA[/youtube]

sorry to say but i believe that song's ingenious. too bad she's the least critically successful on SNL because everyonde who follows the people i follow on Tumblr--or at least one was a huge fan i think--kept reblogging my Lady Gaga stuff and also seemed to worship Lana Del Rey kinda sorta--actually DEFINITELY--because of her looks and visual charm...and just maybe her music....that's my candid opinion. And this song is not bad. but i do agree that like lady gaga she's horribly controversial :twisted:

(sure she also looks like the deviant twin of the American Beauty attention sex slut who eyed her own friend's dad, the equivalent of all crazies who worship Del Rey, and it's quite interesting that i may be the few if not the first to make that comparison. that yeah-RIGHT opinion and backstabberness, finger-to-the-world about being a whore....that's quite a dangerous getaway act if i do say meself :?

btw you phoenixes what is a dangerous muse? i nearly wanted to say that and even googled it but i hate to label del rey as such without getting it down as it's supposed to be

wix.com/sounlikemechels/clambcreationsfolioplusinfo

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 11:25 pm

enchantedaprilchels wrote:
sorry to say but i believe that song's ingenious. too bad she's the least critically successful on SNL because everyonde who follows the people i follow on Tumblr--or at least one was a huge fan i think--kept reblogging my Lady Gaga stuff and also seemed to worship Lana Del Rey kinda sorta--actually DEFINITELY--because of her looks and visual charm...and just maybe her music....that's my candid opinion. And this song is not bad. but i do agree that like lady gaga she's horribly controversial :twisted:

She's an awesome producer at least; whether or not she literally has it in her or not to cross over from producer to performer remains to be seen. I get the impression that she'll get over her nervousness but that quite likely, particularly in reference to some of her less lack-luster promos like Jules Holland, what we see is pretty close to what we'll get. If she was a wildly confident extrovert none of the conversation about her performance ability would likely be happening.

enchantedaprilchels wrote:
(sure she also looks like the deviant twin of the American Beauty attention sex slut who eyed her own friend's dad, the equivalent of all crazies who worship Del Rey, and it's quite interesting that i may be the few if not the first to make that comparison. that yeah-RIGHT opinion and backstabberness, finger-to-the-world about being a whore....that's quite a dangerous getaway act if i do say meself :?

Even more dangerous than that; it makes people wonder that, she seems eccentric enough that she *might* just actually have some depth in her..... when's the last time anyone's seen that in a state-side pop star! Thought that was pretty well outlawed by this point in the game. :?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

I just listened to her cd on Amazon: I actually think I've nailed exactly what her groove is:

I was saying Martina earlier....kinda sorta but really her 'creepiness' seems almost carbon copy to Hope Sandoval:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEgX64n3T7g[/youtube]

Regardless though if she can stay wise to her electronics and keep it strong, dark, and trip-hoppy she could still make isht happen in a good way. Stage show def needs work though.