Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

guitargrrl
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2008, 3:42 pm

I posted awhile back about trying to get my YA novel published. I was getting comments that my main character wasn't 'autistic enough'. Well, I'm happy to announce that Henry Holt BYR (an imprint of Macmillan) will be publishing my debut YA novel, HARMONIC FEEDBACK. It is scheduled for release in Spring 2010.

Short description compliments of my agent: HARMONIC FEEDBACK is about a 16-year old music obsessed, smart-mouthed girl with Asperger's syndrome who starts a band, falls in lust and learns to question what "normal" really means.

However, the book isn't about defining Asperger's Syndrome. Drea isn't a walking OASIS guide of symptoms. It's about one girl's story and experience--which I hope everyone (whether on the autistic spectrum or not) can relate to.

Drea's story was inspired by my younger brother who was diagnosed with autism at the age of three. However, they later switched the diagnosis to Asperger's Syndrome. And he is the type of person that can't be readily defined or put into a box. He's highly social and imaginative, yet stubbornly set in his ways. It also comes from my own experiences with ADHD.

Anyway, I've been reading and enjoying these boards, completely sympathizing with the fact that those on the higher functioning side of the spectrum need to be represented as well. Feel free to check out my website for more information: http://thetaratracks.com.

Thanks for reading :)

WonderWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2008, 3:54 pm

Kool. Congratulations! Glad you're sticking to keeping the character high functioning and not going stereotypical!

just_ben
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2008, 4:11 pm

Congratulations, I'll be sure to get a copy in some 'lame to fame'. :P

Oh yeah, and it sounds like an interesting book.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2008, 10:04 pm

grats grrl! :D

Do you have a myspace page? You can use it for word of mouth advertising for your book. If people like your book they can also add you and keep track on book signings, book store visits, and general announcements.

The former things have passed away."

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2008, 7:17 pm

That's awesome! I've always wondered what it would be like to get something of mine published. Congrats!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 7:33 pm

Congradulations and good luck. ^___^

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 11:07 am

Congratulations!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:51 pm

congrats grrl!

BTW, beautiful eyes :oops:

guitargrrl
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2008, 6:19 pm

Aww, thanks everyone! You all rock :) I do have a My Space page. It's http://myspace.com/tlcadence. Good luck to those of you working on getting published. Let me know if you need any tips, especially on query writing. Those suck. Summing up a 300 page book into 150 words. Arg.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:46 pm

If you have as much talent writing as you have in music, your book will be great. Hi from mexicou :)

will_asher
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2012, 12:27 am

I'm about halfway through reading Harmonic Feedback right now, and I'm really liking it so far. Thank you for writing it.
I actually found this forum because of the book.
Here's my halfway-through review I posted on goodreads: (copied and pasted because I can't post a link here yet. ...and with the first sentence omitted because it's the same as the first sentence of this post...):

I have aspergers symdrome as well, and I can relate to a lot of things Drea goes through and the way she thinks, etc. Seems to me it's a good accurate portrayal of someone with Aspergers without being stereotypical or making that the main focus of the story.
I noticed others reviewers saying it's really good 3/4 of the way through and then it gets melodramatic, and I think it's good to hear this ahead of time so I won't be too disappointed if the ending matches that description. If it gets sad at the end, I hope it's because Naomi dies.

I'm also a writer who's going to be working on getting something published (once I finish this rewrite I working on).

PS: I hope forum thread necromancy isn't looked down on too much here.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

Since you offered, here's my question.
How long should a chapter be? Mine's not YA, it's a traditional type novel.
I'm slightly over 10,000 words and still not even close to what I thought would be the end of chapter 1.

Oh, I see now, this was some sort of inside joke, or advert.
I fell for it.