Page 13 of 16 [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

do you like Heavy metal music
Yes, 37%  37%  [ 104 ]
Yes, 42%  42%  [ 119 ]
no, 10%  10%  [ 28 ]
no, 11%  11%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 282

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 9:35 pm

I don't really like most country music, but I enjoy Johhny Cash and from what i understand he was somewhat country, there is also a couple sub-genres of punk that sort of incorporate his style or at least it sounds like they do and I really like that. I guess its just the mainstream stuff that I've heard on the radio or T.V that I don't really like but perhaps that does not represent the full spectrum.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

Brung wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
They did get soft after "...And Justice for All", or you could say that they REALLY started to get soft after Cliff Burton died, but at least they were experimenting and trying new things, not just trying to be heavier than the other bands around like they used to. So I agree, they do deserve credit for doing what they like/want, even if it doesn't appeal to everybody.

When they were at the height of their experimental period, from the late 90s (Load) to the early 2000s (St. Anger), they transcended themselves in so many different ways, by playing everything from blues rock to symphonic metal and punk covers, and even an experimental neo-thrash record.

To put it on record, I would rank St. Anger as one of my top 5 Metallica albums, alongside Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All, and Load. Well, actually I'm not quite sure if I'd pick ...And Justice For All, or the Black Album. The Black Album has a better good song/filler ratio, but ...And Justice For All is just more personally significant to me, it showed me what Metallica were capable of after years of mindless Megadeth worship.

Not that Megadeth is bad, I'm actually still somewhat a fan of theirs, and I think they're an entertaining band to listen to, but the fact is, they haven't done as much to push boundaries or reinvent themselves as Metallica have. They've been much more conservative when it comes to their sound, and the one time they really did try doing something completely different (Risk), it was a bomb that blew up in their faces.

Anyway, back on topic, I can't really blame Metallica for the Napster fiasco either, despite being someone who has obtained music from "unofficial" sources. I mean, something new came along that threatened their incomes, and they didn't know what to do about it, so they pursued legal action. Now do I think going after a huge list of the different sharers was excessive? Yes, but I do think they were somewhat justified in suing Napster itself. Maybe not quite "justified", because that would imply that I like their actions, but it's not like I condemn them either, it's more like I dislike, but accept them

After Cliff died and they brought in Jason Newsted, from Flotsam and Jetsam, I was skeptical. You're right, Cliff was a big loss, but I liked Newsted, he fit in well.

On Garage Days, which introduced Newsted after Cliff died they did all cover tunes, Budgies - Breadfan, my favorite they blew it down! Newsted proved he belonged.

As for being a Megadeath fan. Dave Mustaine showed how much of a badass he was after Metallica dismissed him from the band. He went out and built his own monster with Megadeath. Granted it's hard to evolve when band members come and go, they don't get a chance to become cohesive, evolve as individuals within a stable group, like Metallica did. But personally I respect Mustaine.

Jason Newstead is an awesome bass player, and I think he deserves a lot more credit than he gets. I also think the rest of Metallica should have given him more respect. Even though he was the bassist on "...And Justice For All", nobody could really hear him until "Black Album". This is because Newstead's bass parts were almost completely mixed out of AJFA. (FYI; this is a slight exaggeration, I actually can hear a bit of the bass on AJFA. It just took me a while to notice.) Metallica pulled this and all sorts of other immature pranks on Newstead over the years, and this is what lead Newstead to quit. It's such a shame; Newstead may not have been as technical as Burton, but he was still a solid bassist.

Dave Mustaine was a really cool guy before he became a born-again Christian. He's still kind of a cool guy, but his current views on social issues and politics make my eyes roll. He's a kick-ass guitarist, a decent lyricist, and I quite like his unique vocal style as well, but there's something about his personality that causes him to drive people away; probably narcissistic tendencies. :P Anyway, for this reason Megadeth has always had a revolving-door lineup, with Mustaine being the only consistant member. I can definitely see why it would impact their ability to mature as a band, and come up with new and innovative ideas.

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2014, 12:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't really like most country music, but I enjoy Johhny Cash and from what i understand he was somewhat country, there is also a couple sub-genres of punk that sort of incorporate his style or at least it sounds like they do and I really like that. I guess its just the mainstream stuff that I've heard on the radio or T.V that I don't really like but perhaps that does not represent the full spectrum.

Johnny Cash to me was a rock singer who sounded country, at least his early stuff was.

I'll admit I'll listen to a slow power ballad every now and then.

sheila_rawr
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Dec 2014, 12:39 pm

Meh, it's okay. I have a couple heavy metal songs on my phone, but I prefer pop rock or electro bands.

CaptanPolarBear
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2014, 2:16 am

Metal music makes Bear happy :P

Here are my favorite bands in the Genere:

1. Metallica
2. Sabaton
3. Nightwish
4. Rammstein
5. Disturbed

I could listen to a playlist with all their songs on it, and never get board.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

CaptanPolarBear wrote:

1. Metallica
2. Sabaton
3. Nightwish
4. Rammstein
5. Disturbed

I like your tastes in metal. 8) Do you listen to Children of Bodom?

CaptanPolarBear
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2014, 1:08 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
CaptanPolarBear wrote:

1. Metallica
2. Sabaton
3. Nightwish
4. Rammstein
5. Disturbed

No, I'm not a real fan of them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 2:49 am

^I like Children Of Bodom, have seen them in concert.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:54 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
CaptanPolarBear wrote:

1. Metallica
2. Sabaton
3. Nightwish
4. Rammstein
5. Disturbed

They're awesome depending on my mood. Given the bands he listed, he probably doesn't stray too far into harsher vocals in metal. Which, is all perfectly okay. It took me.. 5 years of iron maiden until I started listening to harsher vocals.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 6:55 pm

CaptanPolarBear wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
CaptanPolarBear wrote:

1. Metallica
2. Sabaton
3. Nightwish
4. Rammstein
5. Disturbed

No, I'm not a real fan of them.

Oh ok, I figured you might like them since they have elements of power metal and symphonic metal. I can see why someone wouldn't be a fan though, because of Alexi Laiho's vocal style. :P

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2014, 1:51 am

My top 5 metalbands (at least at the moment and perhaps for quite a while now);
1. The dillinger escape plan
2. Meshuggah
3. Iwrestledabearonce
4. Animals as leaders
5. The black dahlia murder

Yeah, shoot me for not being a true metalhead, lol. Over the past few years I've gotten more interested in djent and deathcore. If you'd ask me 10 years ago; The Dillinger Escape Plan woudl still be on my list, as would Meshuggah. Probably Ministry would've ranked up there as well and Chimaira and All Shall Perish.

I still have my roots in industrial, both as the "goth" genre which has little to do with guitars as well as the bit of "industrial metal" such as Strapping young lad and Fear factory, to name 2 big names. And a fair amount of death, black and groove metal (mid to late 90's teen). Skinlab was amazing.. yeah, was; that last album was a bit of an atrocity. I liked Machine head's first 2 albums; the Burning read and Supercharger...yeah; I quite enjoyed all those nu-metal bands for the groovy stuff they did; wasn't too fond of all that rapping though.

In my teens my guilty pleasure was Cradle of filth... yeah, black metal :roll: though after Midian I really had to just stop listening to it, lol. And Midian; don't get me started on that horrid mix where the vocals are in the left (or right; which one was it) channel. If you pan the playback you can actually karaoke to CoF, lol

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:20 am

King_oni wrote:
My top 5 metalbands (at least at the moment and perhaps for quite a while now);
1. The dillinger escape plan
2. Meshuggah
3. Iwrestledabearonce
4. Animals as leaders
5. The black dahlia murder

Yeah, shoot me for not being a true metalhead, lol. Over the past few years I've gotten more interested in djent and deathcore. If you'd ask me 10 years ago; The Dillinger Escape Plan woudl still be on my list, as would Meshuggah. Probably Ministry would've ranked up there as well and Chimaira and All Shall Perish.

I still have my roots in industrial, both as the "goth" genre which has little to do with guitars as well as the bit of "industrial metal" such as Strapping young lad and Fear factory, to name 2 big names. And a fair amount of death, black and groove metal (mid to late 90's teen). Skinlab was amazing.. yeah, was; that last album was a bit of an atrocity. I liked Machine head's first 2 albums; the Burning read and Supercharger...yeah; I quite enjoyed all those nu-metal bands for the groovy stuff they did; wasn't too fond of all that rapping though.

In my teens my guilty pleasure was Cradle of filth... yeah, black metal :roll: though after Midian I really had to just stop listening to it, lol. And Midian; don't get me started on that horrid mix where the vocals are in the left (or right; which one was it) channel. If you pan the playback you can actually karaoke to CoF, lol

I say people should like what they like...I personally do not see any kind of (insert whatever)core as metal, not saying it is bad music though. I actually do like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium was rather good, but just don't see it as metal I think the core genres are sort of their own genre not really punk or metal just its own thing and some is ok.

Also I still love Cradle of Filth and they are not a guilty pleasure I will proudly listen to them..they got a lot of crap for not being 'real' black metal but who the hell defines that, they where black metal people just didn't like they where british and thus had a different style about it than some bands from other countries but who cares I still think they fit more within black metal than any other metal sub-genre, I guess they could also be considered goth metal at least based on their rather recent album I think it was the one before their most recent where I thought that.

spiritoftheconifer
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2014, 6:37 am

I love metal music. Not the usual stuff though. I'm more into the stuff that runs slow and heavy. Neurosis and early Boris stuff for me. Oh, and Melvins - Lysol.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2014, 9:39 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I say people should like what they like...I personally do not see any kind of (insert whatever)core as metal, not saying it is bad music though. I actually do like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium was rather good, but just don't see it as metal I think the core genres are sort of their own genre not really punk or metal just its own thing and some is ok.

Also I still love Cradle of Filth and they are not a guilty pleasure I will proudly listen to them..they got a lot of crap for not being 'real' black metal but who the hell defines that, they where black metal people just didn't like they where british and thus had a different style about it than some bands from other countries but who cares I still think they fit more within black metal than any other metal sub-genre, I guess they could also be considered goth metal at least based on their rather recent album I think it was the one before their most recent where I thought that.

Fair enough; I can see how whatever core you have going on isn't metal to some. But then again; I also grew up in a local music scene with nothing but hardcore and punk bands. The band I was in, a death metal band, actually was something refreshing, who would've thought, lol.

Oh, I'm not blasting CoF for their weird status of "black metal" but I found their newer stuff a bit boring and overproduced. To this day I still think Cruelty and the beast is one of the better, if not best album. Despite it has sh***y production.

I'm not even touching the "true black metal" debate here, lol. I listen to a handful of supposed black metal bands, both old and new ones, and surely not all of them are from the artic north (aka Norway). I'm quite digging Abigail Williams. At least their older stuff before they went on hiatus.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm

spiritoftheconifer wrote:
I love metal music. Not the usual stuff though. I'm more into the stuff that runs slow and heavy. Neurosis and early Boris stuff for me. Oh, and Melvins - Lysol.

You would like Sunn O))) and Eyehategod then. :D

BrutalMetalDood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2014, 6:48 pm

Hell yeah! I mainly listen to death metal and deathcore. :D

Some of my favorite bands are:
The Acacia Strain
Whitechapel
Upon a Burning Body
Job For A Cowboy
Dying Fetus
Deicide
Death
Morbid Angel
Infant Annihilation
Thy Art is Murder
Chelsea Grin(older stuff)
Waking The Cadaver
Cannibal Corpse

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Terry Pratchett