H.P Lovecraft maybe an aspie? with actual reasons why!

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lovecraft Possible aspie
I think he might have been an aspie 51%  51%  [ 25 ]
I think he definitely Was an aspie 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
I Think he definitely was *not* an aspie 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I am unsure 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 49

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2010, 12:59 pm

PrisonerZero wrote:
I don't meant to be rude or anything...

But what is the point of speculating whether or not some famous person, or even worse - fictional characters have/had asperger's?

"All four Beatles had asperger's!"

"Alfred E. Neuman had asperger's!"

"Saddam Hussein had asperger's!"

"Batman had asperger's!"

"Cleopatra had asperger's!"

"Mr. Natural had asperger's!"

"Everyone who signed the American declaration of independence had asperger's!"

There's no way to know for certain with some people, especially if they're long dead.

Like I said above, I'm not trying to be rude or offensive, so if I come off that way, I'm sorry.

QFT.

Also, Lovecraft could have just as easily been an eccentric person. And just because somebody doesn't smile in pictures doesn't mean they have Asperger's. Most people didn't smile in pictures back then. Oh, and "Aspie eyes"? Seriously?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 12:36 am

PrisonerZero wrote:

But what is the point of speculating whether or not some famous person, or even worse - fictional characters have/had asperger's?

There's no way to know for certain with some people, especially if they're long dead.

Like I said above, I'm not trying to be rude or offensive, so if I come off that way, I'm sorry.

Mr. B Natural?

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 3:08 pm

Read the wiki article on his life. I really, really a hundred percent think he was an aspie. Robert E. Howard might have because he was similar growing up. Robert was extremely interested in certain cultures(Celtic especially). He wasn't as eccentric, but still. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

Mike777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2010, 3:17 am

PrisonerZero wrote:

"Batman had asperger's!"

You totally have the point. What people sometimes say here is totally ridiculous. But I guess it's because they need to feel better than people without AS. It's like being a part of the club, you know, "only cool kids allowed". By that, you're becoming "jocks" you hate so much. I'll never understand that.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 9:55 pm

I believe that HP Lovecraft was perfectly normal. He was Pickman, that's the clue you have to look at. He merely wrote down what was told to him by the whisperer in the darkness. The rest was a sham, a persona he put on for people. Just to throw them off the trail of the Ancient One who told him of things beyond our realm of knowledge. He even faked his own death, to descend into the underworld with those who must be nameless.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:01 am

Not at all.
Lovecraft never pretended to reveal reality about the gods and our existence. His "Cthulhu Mythos" writtings were just a way to spend time and have fun, he never managed to use them as hoaxes. He also said something like (I quote from my memories a sentence that I read in French) : "everytime I hear that someone looked for a Necronomicon, I feel sorry to made him lose some of his time".

And an argument which could make think he wasn't "perfectly normal" : from 1908 to 1913, he secluded in his room, spoke only to his mother and wrote nothing.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

~Ahem~
I beg to differ, if you read "Pickman's Model", and know the details of HPL's life, you'll see it's autobiographical and that he took dictation from the whisperer in the darkness. The statements about the reality of the Necronomicon were tossed out to fool fanboys.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 1:15 am

I get hat a lot of people like to label people who clearly weren't aspie as aspie's for some reason, but Lovecraft had a lot of traits that remind me of AS. I mean it's very well possible that he didn't have it, this is just speculation as he isn't alive and you can't test a corpse for AS. I wouldn't admire him and his stories any less if he weren't an aspie.

24 Feb 2012, 1:32 am

PrisonerZero wrote:

"Batman had asperger's!"

These are completely stupid analogies, my friend. Lovecraft had many, many traits that make him by far the most likely candidate for a famous aspie.

I personally am 100% convinced that H P Lovecraft had asperger syndrome. He was beyond quirky and eccentric. His writing style had that characteristic idiosyncrasy and pedantic detachment of aspie thinking.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:36 am

I'm a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan.. I think it's possible.
He was at least highly eccentric.

25 Feb 2012, 11:20 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I believe that HP Lovecraft was perfectly normal.

I don't think so. Throughout his life he had difficulties taking care of himself, in addition to living an isolated existence and communicating primarily through letters. I actually heard a recording of his voice which is unmistakably monotonic and lacking in emotion.

Quote:
He was Pickman, that's the clue you have to look at. He merely wrote down what was told to him by the whisperer in the darkness. The rest was a sham, a persona he put on for people. Just to throw them off the trail of the Ancient One who told him of things beyond our realm of knowledge. He even faked his own death, to descend into the underworld with those who must be nameless.

Ummmm, no. Pickman's model was an anomaly as far as Lovecraft stories are concerned because he attempted to make use of character development. Having read an actual biography of Lovecraft, IDK where you got the idea that Pickman's model is autobiographical. I would say of all the characters in his stories, the one that resembles the real Lovecraft the most is Randolph Carter.

dregj
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2015, 1:30 am

no ones suggesting were finally going to get an official diagnosis for a long dead author because of our web forum
this is all by definition speculation
don't like it
don't participate

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 5:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The more I learn about Asperger's syndrome, the more I'm convinced Lovecraft had it. Regarding Lovecraft's racism - yes, he had his prejudices - but so did our grandparents and great grandparents who also lived in that era. The fact is though, he was willing to learn and grow. He married a Jewish lady, Sonia Greene; and even though their marriage ended in divorce, it was due to the financial stress of the great Depression, rather than to his bigotry. Many of his friends, such a Robert Bloch, were Jewish. He was even friends with the openly homosexual poet, Hart Crane. Later, as Lovecraft came out of his shell, his racial views became much more tolerant, embracing something of what today may be termed a multiculturalism. Especially after he learned about Hitler's ugly racial policies in action, from a friend who had traveled to Germany.

Lovecraft is a perfect example of where his art should be separated from the man. He came from money and his father was an anglophile so his world view was coloured by everything British was best.
He clearly was a tremendously engaging writer and that's what people remember.

An interesting counterpart (but from a different era and writing science fiction rather than horror) is George Lucas. Lucas has been married to an African-American woman for many years, yet he created a star wars universe where there was every type of alien being his imagination could come up with yet in this vast universe when he released the original Star wars every humanoid was caucasian? Apparently even the most broad minded imaginations like Lucas couldn't imagine a mythical universe where every human didn't look like they were in a Tommy Hilfiger commercial .

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 5:28 am

I think that Lovecraft had certain traits that nestle in somewhere on the Spectrum. His writing was quite...how did one poster put it..."idiosyncratic and pedantic" and his life patterns of failures are depressingly familiar.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 5:30 am

Romofan wrote:
I think that Lovecraft had certain traits that nestle in somewhere on the Spectrum. His writing was quite...how did one poster put it..."idiosyncratic and pedantic" and his life patterns of failures are depressingly familiar.

Well they may be familiar to some on the spectrum but they are certainly not exclusive to Aspies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 9:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The more I learn about Asperger's syndrome, the more I'm convinced Lovecraft had it. Regarding Lovecraft's racism - yes, he had his prejudices - but so did our grandparents and great grandparents who also lived in that era. The fact is though, he was willing to learn and grow. He married a Jewish lady, Sonia Greene; and even though their marriage ended in divorce, it was due to the financial stress of the great Depression, rather than to his bigotry. Many of his friends, such a Robert Bloch, were Jewish. He was even friends with the openly homosexual poet, Hart Crane. Later, as Lovecraft came out of his shell, his racial views became much more tolerant, embracing something of what today may be termed a multiculturalism. Especially after he learned about Hitler's ugly racial policies in action, from a friend who had traveled to Germany.

Lovecraft is a perfect example of where his art should be separated from the man. He came from money and his father was an anglophile so his world view was coloured by everything British was best.
He clearly was a tremendously engaging writer and that's what people remember.

An interesting counterpart (but from a different era and writing science fiction rather than horror) is George Lucas. Lucas has been married to an African-American woman for many years, yet he created a star wars universe where there was every type of alien being his imagination could come up with yet in this vast universe when he released the original Star wars every humanoid was caucasian? Apparently even the most broad minded imaginations like Lucas couldn't imagine a mythical universe where every human didn't look like they were in a Tommy Hilfiger commercial .

Don't forget Lando Calrissian!