Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

I was wondering looking on here and cant seem to find any visual artists. I see musicians and writers. I mostly do photography but dable in drawing and painting some times.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

I am a self-proclaimed artist, as in I think I am an artist and artistic.

I used to be very into photography, but have let that dwindle as I need a new muse, a new location in life, a vacation or something.

I enjoy drawing but feel I am not good enough. I try to draw as much as I can as that is how I will become better. One day I would like to create a mini-graphic novel.

I have painted and have an easel but have since felt I need to learn to draw better before I can paint.

Then again, I am also a writer (my main focus) and play guitar and piano (my secondary focus which helps me release emotion).

Jack of all trades, master of none?

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

haruka wrote:
I am a self-proclaimed artist

That is the only kind of artist.

I am an Artist.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

YourMother wrote:
haruka wrote:

Well, I would differ with that statement, IMO there are many 'kinds' of artists. A performance artist is quite different than a graphic artist which is different than a creative writer who paints with words, though I'm guessing its the various graphic genres that are being referenced in the OPs question. Some artists work exclusively in one medium, others dabble in several. Still others make a distinction between artists who work purely for self expression and those who do it for money and there are snobs on both sides of that fence who look down on those who stand on the other.

At the end of the day, however, if no one recognizes your acts of creation as art, then self-proclaiming is an empty gesture.

But to answer the question as I understand it, I've worked professionally as a graphic artist, writer and a performer of sorts as well (not usually all at the same time), and also create for my own amusement. Its nice to be able to get paid, though, for something that you would be doing compulsively anyway.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

I think art may be recognized, or it may not be. What if you were born in dark ages, in a small town where work is the only think recognized and appreciated, and you are a tortured soul whose main purpose in life is to bring appreciation of the world around you. Does the fact that no one around you appreciates your true skills mean that you are not an artist?

Or wait, that isn't what you are saying. You merely stated that self-proclamation is an empty gesture. I guess it's empty to everyone else but not to you. I can understand this reasoning to an extent but do not agree with it. Some may proclaim they are an artist and not really "be" an artist.

If you are to measure things by what the majority of people appreciate or recognize then how do we explain reality tv? Art?

But I digress. This is just devil's advocacy in a way. I guess I just bristled at the term "empty" as it's hurtful to hear since that is a lot of people's opinion of the arts anyway.

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

you guys are great. I enjoy good conversation don't get to talk shop much. I think is therapeutic and doesnt always matter if others like it. I would love to get payed and reconized. I feel like I still have to improve and get better...

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

I just need artistic outlets. It is a need for me. I don't think I could handle life without being able to express things in an artistic way.

Making money? I am writing books currently. Books because I've written one (which isn't the best thing ever) and am writing one.

It's a little tough. Not the writing but the getting published. But I keep telling myself to just keep trying. The only way to succeed is to not give up (it's the case in my life anyway). Writing is the way that I will succeed artistically if I just put the time and effort in.

Drawing? I don't have the skill to imagine profitting from it. Music? I can't imagine having to go out and do shows ever. Photography? I was told I'd probably need to be a wedding / portrait photographer, which I don't want. I want to capture moments, to express the little things in life with those photos. I don't want to stage happiness for people.

Anyway... do you have a place that you post your work? Like deviant art?I personally don't.

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

Avengilante wrote:
YourMother wrote:
haruka wrote:

Well, I would differ with that statement, IMO there are many 'kinds' of artists. A performance artist is quite different than a graphic artist which is different than a creative writer who paints with words, though I'm guessing its the various graphic genres that are being referenced in the OPs question. Some artists work exclusively in one medium, others dabble in several. Still others make a distinction between artists who work purely for self expression and those who do it for money and there are snobs on both sides of that fence who look down on those who stand on the other.

At the end of the day, however, if no one recognizes your acts of creation as art, then self-proclaiming is an empty gesture.

But to answer the question as I understand it, I've worked professionally as a graphic artist, writer and a performer of sorts as well (not usually all at the same time), and also create for my own amusement. Its nice to be able to get paid, though, for something that you would be doing compulsively anyway.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better. What I mean is that if you do art YOU ARE AN ARTIST. No one can say "you are an artist/you are not an artists". I think that if you have the ability to work in one medium in art (say, oil paint) you have the capacity to work in any other (say, clay, charcoal...), even if your technique in those areas is primitive, because art is not a skill, it is a way of thinking about the world. Graphic art is a whole other bag of stuff though.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Agreed! :)

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2011, 6:01 pm

I totally agree

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 12:03 pm

I agree with you;D You guys should post up your online galleries if I you can.

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

I just added my new DeviantArt account (thanks autisic2artistic!) information to my profile.

Now I'm trying to add the pictures I've taken.

Next... drawings.

autisic2artistic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

hay haraka can you PM me with your user name :) Deviant art is a great art site :D

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

I have uploaded a few of my drawings onto Deviant Art. I see alot of musicians and writers too. I sketch the majority of the time, but I have done sculpting in classes when I needed to.

I'm not on that phase right now with my 'special interests', so I won't have anything new for quite sometime, but I'd thought I'd say there are us art geeks out here :D

Deviant Art page name is the same as my WP, by the way....

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:03 am

Complete art geek. Fashion Illustration is my thing. Looove it.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:14 am

sagan wrote:
Complete art geek. Fashion Illustration is my thing. Looove it.

this was as far as I got before I gave up

http://www.9headsmedia.com/9h.html

I love the human figure and draping in real life but I can never accurately mentally drape my ideas correctly on canvas or paper. I still love to draw my ideas out but prefer simple flats, especially on computer where I can mix and match different tops and bottoms, and occassionally add in various other props, photos, and things that build the theme, (thank you Polyvore: http://www.polyvore.com/ ) - but I only draw silhouettes when Im dreaming up a sweet concept. Do you use computer or do you sketch?