Who are your favorite female singers?

Page 9 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 5:08 pm

Hands down!

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 7:47 pm

The only female singer that comes to mind is Angela Gossow from Arch Enemy.

In general I don't really like many female singers, i don't know why i just don't.

silentwisdom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2008, 7:59 pm

Sarah McLachlan
Kate Bush
Tori Amos
Joni Mitchell
Carole King
Janet Jackson
Madonna

To be honest, though, I don't listen to a lot of female singers. I prefer listening to male singers.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 9:50 pm

Ok, I'm gonna necro this thread - just because for one its a great thread, and another, we completely forgot about Nina Perssons from Cardigans. Yet another female singer with an incredibly sick voice :twisted: and definitely someone who I'd love to see Massive Attack get a hold of.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2E4vyGem0[/youtube]

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm

In no particular Order:

Siouxsie Sioux
Nina Hagen
Elizabeth Fraser( of The Cocteau Twins): one of the most beautiful voices in pop music
Anja Huwe( of Xmal Deutschland)
Helena Marnie( of Ladytron)
Patti Smith
PJ Harvey
Joan Jett

Chibi( of The Birthday Massacre) the girl in the center :wink:

Last edited by D1nk0 on 18 Apr 2008, 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miss_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm

Idina Menzel no one else comes close

Asleep, I still see you lying next to me
So deep that it didn't even bleed and catch me
--The Used

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 1:24 am

D1nk0 wrote:
Elizabeth Fraser( of The Cocteau Twins): one of the most beautiful voices in pop music

Massive Attack - Group Four

enough said ;).

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:19 am

Ari Up - The Slits
Bif Naked
Billie Holiday
Bjork
Cass Elliot - The Mamas & the Papas
Cia Berg - Whale
Chrissie Hynde - The Pretenders
Debbie Harry - Blondie
Debora Iyall - Romeo Void
Dolores O'Riordan - The Cranberries
Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane
Hope Sandoval - Mazzy Star
Janis Joplin
Joan Jett - The Runaways - The Blackhearts
Johnette Napolitano - Concrete Blonde
Julie London - Great Jazz singer
June Carter Cash
Kim Deal - The Breeders
Lene Lovich
Liz Phair
Mia Zapata - The Gits
Michelle Phillips - The Mamas & the Papas
Nico - The Velvet Underground
Nina Hagen - The Nina Hagen Band
Patti Smith
PJ Harvey
Siouxsie Sioux - Siouxsie & the Banshees
Terri Nunn - Berlin
Tracy Tracy - The Primitives
Tori Amos

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:44 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:

enough said ;).

I wasnt aware that Massive Attack had a female vocalist :? . Group Four? Elaborate....

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

19 Apr 2008, 11:31 am

• Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation)
  • Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil)
  • Tarja Turunen (ex-Nightwish)
  • Manda Ophuis (Nemesea)
  • Andrea Datwyler (Lunatica)
  • Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries)
  • Sarah Jezebel Deva (Angtoria, ex-Cradle of Filth)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:07 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:

enough said ;).

I wasnt aware that Massive Attack had a female vocalist :? . Group Four? Elaborate....

They always seem to have female vocalists on rotation - almost never anything steady. Still, on Mezzanine she sang at least three songs; Teardrop (probably the most well-known; if you've seen the ad for Assassin's Creed on XBox360 you know it), Mother's Milk, and Group Four. Sure, Teardrop is dope and all but Group Four I think is probably the best of those but its less comerical friendly as its a real stoned and emotionally intensive type of track (if you do like your tunes that way though, its a huge gem) - then again yeah, to be fair most of their tracks are as described but Group Four really throws it down and I think just off a certain emotional/atmospheric angle that I can really grip.

And yeah, they've worked with many female singers in the past - can't remember all the names as a lot of em were a bit obscure, they did work with Madonna, they worked with someone else who was pretty big (a long the lines of Liz) but I think on Protection or Blue Lines. Female vocalists aren't something they want to commit or nail themselves down on and I can understand why - they like a range of voices in general, only offer theirs just because they're there, and I'd imagine they love the prospect of working with a brand new female artist with a brand new set of ideas, poetic styles, different style and swagger to her singing - it keeps things fresh and I'd imagine it helps them to take all those "Wow wouldn't it be cool if we could get...." done!, and no one needs to leave the band either to accommodate the decision.

They have all three on Youtube so:

Massive Attack - Teardrop
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cL_1bmYCzs[/youtube]

Massive Attack - Group Four (fan video)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6KqPgXfgI[/youtube]

Massive Attack - Black Milk
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Va9etqma30[/youtube]

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:11 pm

So WTF is with all these (female)Metal vocalists? I really wonder why Metal is so popular on Aspie forums.....same could be said about AFF, AI, and even Aspergia. In paticular all this trendy, "nu" scandy metal............ :lol:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:29 pm

D1nk0 wrote:
So WTF is with all these (female)Metal vocalists? I really wonder why Metal is so popular on Aspie forums.....same could be said about AFF, AI, and even Aspergia. In paticular all this trendy, "nu" scandy metal............ :lol:

Its AD&D and Starwars buff music. If its really theatrical its all Viking, "All hail the Norse Gods" type stuff - which is beautifully appealing to people who love fantasy books and things like that. I also think of all the progressive metal and a lot of the Cradle of Filth type ballads about some queen who drank the blood of 1000 virgins to stay young. Really not my thing but I can't say I'll get on people for their preferences, a lot of people probably frown on my tastes just as much for being too cerebral and not enough 'cock and balls' - which, all that Viking AD&D stuff is at least talking about carrying off beautiful maidens after slaying a dragon or something like that :|.

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 20 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
D1nk0 wrote:

Its AD&D and Starwars buff music. If its really theatrical its all Viking, "All hail the Norse Gods" type stuff - which is beautifully appealing to people who love fantasy books and things like that. I also think of all the progressive metal and a lot of the Cradle of Filth type ballads about some queen who drank the blood of 1000 virgins to stay young. Really not my thing but I can't say I'll get on people for their preferences.

O I love mythology, but Im kinda sick of this Viking Norse stuff. Im also SICK of hearing about the Blood Countess! Its time to move on to Other historical villains like ANTE PAVELIC of WWII Croatia.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:42 pm

There's just nothing I enjoy in rock ballads. Maybe with some of Maynard from Tool's stuff in the Aenima cd about his life isn't bad just because, its extremely introspective, slippy, well-worded, and I can really feel that sort of thing. Ballad rock is something though I think goes right hand-in-hand with Rammstein, GWAR, etc.. Its athleticism, stage show, seeing the drummer doing crazy solos, hearing the guitarist do some Dragon Force type stuff - that's what it feels like a lot of that revolves around.

I enjoy and respect physical talent in rock but when its something like Godsmack or Creed even, I just can't get myself to like it just because a musician or two are crazy-skilled or because they put on a great live show. Sure, plenty of people will listen to the band, listen to the lyrics - if people can like Kid Rock I'd imagine they can like anything. Again though, I hold nothing against em. If I'm not into what I'm hearing, that's it and if I am into what I'm hearing I have no qualms with it being one guy who sat there at his computer and made it. Even with producing, it takes a pretty extreme amount of talent to be able to really engineer good sounds or in a high enough fidelity and constancy that you can make a really good track with lots of subtle change up and impeccable attention to detail.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:09 pm

Here's another one to my list: Zoe Alexandra Wakefield, formerly of Trance to The Sun